PDA

View Full Version : Why should I go h2O over good air cooling?

danbfree
06-29-2003, 01:59 PM
I know noise is a big factor in going to h2O.... however it seems water doesn't really cool much better unless you go all out, spending big bucks. Desides, water in my computer still sounds scary as much as I like overclocking!

saaya
06-29-2003, 02:16 PM
i get much better temps with watercooling... you just gotta know what parts to pick...

reasons to go h20?

noise
looks better :D
fun to build/set up
cools better than aircooling
can add tecs or chill the water for even better cooling

and noise... and... NOISE! :p:

danbfree
06-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Thanks.. I guess I'll have to read up some more on it. I see Corsair has a kit out now as well. Although they did say noise was an issue with it top performance mode... I'll be better off asking y'all what the best parts to get are when it comes down to it!

saaya
06-29-2003, 11:39 PM
that corsair stuff sux... its an overpriced, oversized, superloud and bad compiled watercooling kit.

but thats just my impression. from what ive read it performs like good aircooling in turbo, but its just as loud as those air coolers and you have an extra box that makes some noise besides your pc.

vlad
06-30-2003, 01:29 AM
Screw kits! build 1 yourself. when i first desided to go water my rig was simple, a D-tek wb/ submerseable pump(home builders supply) & a 2gal rubbermade container.=$100. then you can get fancy a part at a time. no one ever said you have to buy it all @ once. good luck. later.;)

saaya
06-30-2003, 02:34 AM
yepp thats how i built my h20 setup. well im still building it :p:

cheaper and way more fun :D

vlad
06-30-2003, 02:51 AM
Hell yeah! i got my D-tek cpu wb, then a DD wb for my 97pro & this month ill get a D-tek chipset block. cheep is the way to go! espeically when you dont have the extra cash. here's one for you . i was going thru my garage sunday throwing out alot of crap i havent toucht in years when i found a 12v cooler the kind you plug into a lighter. i opened it and saw a very large heatsink. then i popped off the outside cover to find another hs w/2 small pelts sandwiched between the inner & outer hs. theyre not very big only about 4amps but it's free. i think ill set it up the same way in my resevoir. maybe someday ill have alot of cash to throw around but untill then cheep is the way for me & youre right its more fun. later.:thumbsup:

CCW
06-30-2003, 04:08 AM
Watercooling doesnt have to be expensive, quiet, cools better, will be good fun ! :toast:(http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15196)

Craig

antipop
06-30-2003, 10:20 AM
You learn a lot, you can oc much higher, the noise will be limited. You will have some bragging rights, you're friends will think you're a 1337 oc'er
I'll soon write a thread about the fluid thermodynamics

danbfree
06-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. Certainly it's something to consider.
what are some good web sites that break down water cooling and make it easy to see the big picture?

Craig
07-02-2003, 06:58 AM
A real good place for water cooling is:

www.procooling.com

Some really great info.

saaya
07-02-2003, 11:53 AM
...where the completely addicted come to cool off...

:eek: ...HOOOOME!!! :banana:

danbfree
07-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! That looks like a geat site to get my feet wet! :)