PDA

View Full Version : Another look at Liquid Metal...but this time its been revised

hecktic
07-23-2007, 12:38 AM
Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad for AMD & Intel CPUs

The Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad ist the first heat conduction pad, which is composed of 100% metal and melts with just less heating (BurnIn-process), then it confects its superior heat transfer. It dissipates the heat fast and efficiently and doesn't have to hide from the best heat conduction paste. The simple, clean and fast installation turns the Liquid MetalPad into the ultimate heat conduction medium for HighEnd PCs. The Liquid MetalPad can be used with all heatsink and waterblock materials, for instance aluminum or copper. It doesn't age and doesn't have to be freshened up/replaced every few months. The Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad is RoHS compliant and nontoxic.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/sidewindercomputers/metalpad1.jpg

The Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad is delivered in a transparent blister-package and contains one Liquid MetalPad. Additionally there is a detailed printed manual included and according to the product variant a cleaning set for removal / cleaning of the contact area before and after using the Liquid MetalPad.

The pad is 38 x 38 millimeters and is suitable for any of today's modern processors. Coollaboratory provides a template to allow for trimming the pad to suit your processor's size.

MSDS Safety Sheet:
http://www.coollaboratory.com/press/sicherheitsdatenblatt_PAD_eng.pdf

See reviews at:

http://pclab.pl/art25661-3.html

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=564540&page=1

http://www.gamezoom.net/artikel/show/0,c88d7c7de2c833975d1ea4d1fe3901a6,2,15032.html

Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad for ATI & nVidia GPUs
The Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad ist the first heat conduction pad, which is composed of 100% metal and melts with just less heating (BurnIn-process), then it confects its superior heat transfer. It dissipates the heat fast and efficiently and doesn't have to hide from the best heat conduction paste. The simple, clean and fast installation turns the Liquid MetalPad into the ultimate heat conduction medium for HighEnd PCs. The Liquid MetalPad can be used with all heatsink and waterblock materials, for instance aluminum and copper. It doesn't age and doesn't have to be freshened up/replaced every few months. The Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad is RoHS compliant and nontoxic.

The Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad is delivered in a transparent blister-package and contains one Liquid MetalPad. Additionally there is a detailed printed manual included and according to the product variant a cleaning set for removal / cleaning of the contact area before and after using the Liquid MetalPad.

The liquid metal GPU pad is 20 x 20 millimeters and is suitable for any of today's modern graphics card processing units. No trimming should be needed to utilize this pad.

MSDS Safety Sheet:
http://www.coollaboratory.com/press/sicherheitsdatenblatt_PAD_eng.pdf

See reviews at:

http://pclab.pl/art25661-3.html

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=564540&page=1

http://www.gamezoom.net/artikel/show/0,c88d7c7de2c833975d1ea4d1fe3901a6,2,15032.html

Your thoughts and opinions and feedback please... please exclude any flaming posts about the brand behind the TIM and just make your posts constructive criticism if any.

From the new revision I can see that they changed/added these things:

Now supports aluminum HeatSinks or Waterblocks

No longer hardens up and sticks to your Heatsink causing you to use extreme measures to remove the TIM from super-attaching itself to the heatsink and CPU/GPU

Only the padding version of the TIM has been revised

Residue left behind from removal of the pad will be beneficial for other pastes per the instructions of the revised metal pad.

EDIT: oh almost forgot one of the important ones:

New revision padding no longer looks and feels like a sponge whereas the old did

http://www.coollaboratory.com/Anleitung_MP_ENG_NEU.pdf
^good info in there

SoulsCollective
07-23-2007, 01:39 AM
Dude, four posts in a row? There is an "Edit" button, you know...

In any case, they've some ground to make up, and while the concept is good, I'll wait for an external source before passing judgement.

Ashraf
07-23-2007, 01:40 AM
4 posts already? You know you can edit your first post.

hecktic
07-23-2007, 01:49 AM
sorry guys fixed that.

AndyM
07-23-2007, 06:17 AM
While I'm sure a metal of some sort is better than oil+shavings of some sort, I still like my syringe of LM better than what I can see of the pad in those reviews.

sick_g4m3r
07-23-2007, 10:20 AM
wow 2-3C better thats AS5, thats nice

BlaqMale
07-23-2007, 10:49 AM
any word on whether the revised version is in retail/etail already?

silverphoenix
07-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I was gonna try it out but got scared due to it almost permanently sticking hsf and cpu together. Hopefully I'll wait a bit and see if any people experience the same thing.

hecktic
07-23-2007, 01:31 PM
any word on whether the revised version is in retail/etail already?

Yah just google it.. Ive found a couple places selling it at $6.95 per pack.

wow 2-3C better thats AS5, thats nice

Not really.. read the description of the TIM at the coollabs site and its more like 7 - 10 C difference when properly used with a cured AS5 setup.

I was gonna try it out but got scared due to it almost permanently sticking hsf and cpu together. Hopefully I'll wait a bit and see if any people experience the same thing.

That has been resolved.

Chewbenator
07-23-2007, 01:57 PM
So, while heat and pressure is applied it sorta half-melts to fill in the cracks, but when you take the pressure and heat away is goes back to that this foily looking thing? Certainly would be easy to apply.

sick_g4m3r
07-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Not really.. read the description of the TIM at the coollabs site and its more like 7 - 10 C difference when properly used with a cured AS5 setup.

10C better than AS5? yeah right...

SiGfever
07-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Nothing that I have used has done a better job than LMP. The cleaning of the blocks and the chance of seizing has been my only deterrent.

MrToad
07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
I can't help but think that if something looks too good to be true..

Perhaps after years of fluid based TIMs woes (too thin, too thick, now is uneven, remove the goddam block again, crap, it has spilled on the SMCs, dammit! now a bloody eyelash...) I can't believe that's suddenly going to become a matter of cut, lay and presto!

Grinch
07-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Perhaps after years of fluid based TIMs woes (too thin, too thick, now is uneven, remove the goddam block again, crap, it has spilled on the SMCs, dammit! now a bloody eyelash...) I can't believe that's suddenly going to become a matter of cut, lay and presto!

agree 100%:up:

RADCOM
07-23-2007, 03:43 PM

They used to say that about carpet until carpet squares lol maybe industry has stared to work for us. Miost EE's I know laugh at me when i tell them about the various TIM's use they do acknowledge that the pads are a bit site though. I have tried most TIMs and coollaboratory was easier to use than etsu et tu Brutus lmao. I'll certainly give it a try for $7 :) worse case scenario I'll be forced to lap the heatsink and/or CPU.

hecktic
07-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Nothing that I have used has done a better job than LMP. The cleaning of the blocks and the chance of seizing has been my only deterrent.

Cleaning should be much easier now with the revision version padding as noted above.

agree 100%:up:

LOL no its not just cut lay and presto.... did you read the original post where it said there is a required burn in process which is a one time only deal.

In a nutshell you force the Heatsink or waterblock to raise the temps as far as 58C and then crank up the cooling so the burn in will take place and then the cure will be done. Ill admit their advertising is deceiving in that aspect ONLY.

But once you have that done then it is officially done and presto!

Syringe Version is still going to be the better option though for more experienced users as Im sure Sigfever can attest to that point because the user can control where the TIM goes with a hobbyist paint brush. (This is in the instructions I believe for the syringe version)

Basically again the real difference from the new revised padding from the syringe or non revised padding version is the ability to use the TIM on aluminum coolers now while also at the same time there is no more worry of the TIM hardening itself by means of a "super-glue" method so to speak to the heatsink anymore. Oh yah and the price is really dropped... $5 on a google search... what have you got to loose lol...

If you still have doubts but want more to believe the stuff works then just google up more reviews and you will see what I mean... (this revision was just released fyi so dont rely on old reviews of the older padding)

sick_g4m3r
07-24-2007, 07:35 AM
OK, so with this after burn in I will see 7-10C better than AS5 correct?

hecktic
07-24-2007, 12:49 PM
OK, so with this after burn in I will see 7-10C better than AS5 correct?

Its not guaranteed as with any TIM but per reviews and their own testing it is comparable in that range yes. But you must follow the instructions for LMP/LM Pad otherwise you wont get the desired results. :yepp:

sick_g4m3r
07-24-2007, 01:11 PM
10C thats incredible! and you said this stuff isnt super glue anymore?

Vienna
07-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Frankly, the last CPU water block I bought used was ruined by its last user with this stuff, I have yet to lap it, but once lapped it should be fine. Still till I hear community members having good experiences with this stuff, I'm not gonna touch it with a 10 foot pole.

hecktic
07-24-2007, 01:26 PM
10C thats incredible! and you said this stuff isnt super glue anymore?

right

MrToad
07-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Hmmm... I've read the documentation and I still don't see a clear picture.

Specially when it comes to removal, where everything becomes a bit vague, with "should" this and "may" that, and then they talk about "metal grinding pad" to remove it :shocked: and "alternatively leave the residue because is all good and dandy" (so they say).

I apologize if I look cynical, but the reading I make of the "removal" section of the documentation is: "We don't have a clue if you will ever be able to remove this product through reasonable means, therefore we tell you that if sandpaper is not your cup of tea, you'd rather leave the remains of the pad where they are and convince yourself that they're actually doing a fantastic job mixed with whatever you decide to use next".

hecktic
07-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Toad,

They are just saying those methods because they it appears they dont endorse the use of arctic clean, which many people are used to using when cleaning a heatsink or cpu.

Vienna
07-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Toad,

They are just saying those methods because they it appears they dont endorse the use of arctic clean, which many people are used to using when cleaning a heatsink or cpu.

Uh-huh, tried it, didn't remove much (it helped, a LITTLE, but barely) the gunk on my block, sorry, I'm still gonna stay away from this till removal is as easy as it is with grease. Right now looks like the only way I'll remove it is to relapp the surface.

AndyM
07-24-2007, 08:47 PM
It's metal, so a lack of thermal conductivity isnt too obnoxious. Keeping this in mind the non-removable aspect of LM isnt too bad. But yeah, once on there, it's on there short of sanding it off, but who cares? It doesnt act as an insulator nearly as much as your typical TIM can be when needing the absolute best heat transfer possible.