View Full Version : Upgrade time on budget

johnwayne
07-21-2007, 09:45 AM
I can get an OEM new unused FX-60 for $245 1 year warranty or.
an Opteron 185 Retail Box new unused for $235 3 year warrant,

I'm on a $300 budget so chaning motherboard, memory, and video card and getting an E6600 or Q6600 is not
an option, but I've been waiting long enough to see what the multicore hype is all about and my FX-55 is no fun anymore.

I hear Opterons are better silicone and hand picked and run cooler than FX-60
I would also have an added 2 years of warranty and $10

Of course the FX-60 has unlocked multiplier has a cooler name hehe, and of course supposedly made for gaming.

I'm not much of a real overclocker I do what I can do through upping the *cough* "FSB" (for simplicity) and like to run my memory 1:1

I'm hoping to get at least 2.8ghz on air using my Zalman 7000B-Alcu
my case airflow is decent but this room is dusty and temps become a problem ever few weeks till i get a chance to clean the case again So i'm leaning towards the opteron 185 since i hear it runs cooler plus the warranty and I'm thinkin'g I might buy the FX-60 and never use a multiplier over 13 anyway, and at this point in time probably get a bad stepping of the FX-60 and not be able to overclock much at all, plus i hear opterons have a better chance of a higher overclock what you guys think.. I know this similar question must have been ask a thousand times but being this time and point and the current prices on them only $10 differance I think it changes the rules a bit

gromet
07-21-2007, 10:15 AM
I can get an OEM new unused FX-60 for $245 1 year warranty or.
an Opteron 185 Retail Box new unused for $235 3 year warrant,

I'm on a $300 budget so chaning motherboard, memory, and video card and getting an E6600 or Q6600 is not
an option, but I've been waiting long enough to see what the multicore hype is all about and my FX-55 is no fun anymore.

I hear Opterons are better silicone and hand picked and run cooler than FX-60
I would also have an added 2 years of warranty and $10

Of course the FX-60 has unlocked multiplier has a cooler name hehe, and of course supposedly made for gaming.

I'm not much of a real overclocker I do what I can do through upping the *cough* "FSB" (for simplicity) and like to run my memory 1:1

I'm hoping to get at least 2.8ghz on air using my Zalman 7000B-Alcu
my case airflow is decent but this room is dusty and temps become a problem ever few weeks till i get a chance to clean the case again So i'm leaning towards the opteron 185 since i hear it runs cooler plus the warranty and I'm thinkin'g I might buy the FX-60 and never use a multiplier over 13 anyway, and at this point in time probably get a bad stepping of the FX-60 and not be able to overclock much at all, plus i hear opterons have a better chance of a higher overclock what you guys think.. I know this similar question must have been ask a thousand times but being this time and point and the current prices on them only $10 differance I think it changes the rules a bit

I would go AM2 and go away from s939 personally. Especially with the ability down the road to just drop in a AM3, sure it will not run HT3.0...but still adds some life to the mobo as long as the mobo is supported with continous bio's updates (important imo)

Pick up some DDR2, new mobo, and am2 processor will run around 300-400. Then sell what you have, and your back to where you wanted to be, @ around 300.00 for a upgrade. And as mentioned next year when AM3 comes out, you can just drop in that processor if you wish. The new revision of the AM2 seems to get some great OC's on it.

funnyperson1
07-21-2007, 05:46 PM
I actually think you could get a full upgrade for ,$300.

Mobo ($70):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138059

CPU ($65):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103733

Thats an F3 revision CPU that should do 3g+ no sweat.

Memory ($90):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

Video card($75):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130062

In the end that system will be much faster than what you are running now, and while after shipping it will be a bit more than $300, it is well worth going $15 over budget to get this kind of upgrade.

Paying that much for just a 939 CPU right now is stupid imho.

johnwayne
07-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Sweet finds funny person, i'll give this a thought i'm probably going your route and thanks for your input too gromet

ted3
07-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Considering your current videocard thats a nice suggestion from funnyperson there, will make a huge difference compared to your current setup that will be GPU limited if you just upgrade to s939 dualcore. You can include the selling price of your current MB/CPU/RAM/GPU in your budget and spend some more on CPU or GPU also.

nn_step
07-22-2007, 08:12 AM
by the looks of the system, i'd vote spend $100 on a PCIe mobo and the rest on a good graphics card.
There isn't a good reason to upgrade memory or CPU by the looks of it

funnyperson1
07-22-2007, 09:57 AM
by the looks of the system, i'd vote spend $100 on a PCIe mobo and the rest on a good graphics card.
There isn't a good reason to upgrade memory or CPU by the looks of it

I think the whole reason he wants to upgrade is to get a dual core CPU.

johnwayne
07-22-2007, 11:00 AM
I think the whole reason he wants to upgrade is to get a dual core CPU.

Yeah thats the main idea, but I like this option, I could sell my other system wich is a barton 3200+, half decent computer for a non gamer just every day use and chatting, for maybe $100 to $150, i could just get a mobo with PCI-E for a nice video card, buy a dual core cpu, video card, and i'd be set