PDA

View Full Version : HELP! OS Selection Boot Screen--can't boot to XP

Sprocket
06-28-2003, 10:54 AM
I have WinXP and now I also have Win2K. My basic problem is that I can't boot to XP.

I used Partition Magic 8 to create a new partition for Win2K. I installed Win2K, no prob. I'm using Win2K right now.... but, evidently it messed up the boot manager thingy and now I can't get into WinXP.... I like Win2K just as much or more than XP now... but I still wanna be able to use WinXP.... so, what do I do? When I try to load xp, I get some kinda error having to do with a corrupt file on down the line through a bunch of folders ie: folder/folder/folder/folder.

I loaded the repair console from the xp cd and tried to do the "fixboot" command. Then I tried to edit the boot configuration using this other command (don't remember which). I ended up re-adding xp and 2k under slightly different names to the boot manager (so now there's 4), but they don't work either.

so, I'm stumped. Basically, I guess I could just delete the xp folders, etc... and not use it any more... but I still wanna be able to.

HELP!

edesignuk
06-28-2003, 11:06 AM
Could you copy and paste the contents of your boot.ini file (c:\boot.ini) into this thread, this must be the file that is causing the problem.

(NOTE: You may have to make hidden system files visable to open this file)

edit: sorry, got carried away and didn't read the post correctly :rolleyes: So let me get this straight, you still have the option to select WinXP from the boot loader, but upon selecting this you get errors?

Have you run chkdsk?

Sprocket
06-28-2003, 11:14 AM
yeah, still have the option, error after selecting. don't think I've run chkdsk. how will that help?

IFMU
06-28-2003, 11:28 AM
By my understanding of XP it has to be the 2nd installed. Its greedy. The only way I could say to fix it would be to install XP again.

edesignuk
06-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Sprocket
yeah, still have the option, error after selecting. don't think I've run chkdsk. how will that help?
It might fix the corrupt folders, worth a shot.

Teus
06-28-2003, 11:41 AM
you're lucky. making a multiboot howto, just finished that part!

copypaste of raw article, needs to be checked and so

Sequence
Install the OS from old to new: Win98, then Win2000, then WinXP, then Win2003. If you install Linux, it will create LILO: LinuxLoader. On boot, your first choice you have to make is: Linux or Windows. Then, you've got 30seconds time to choose the OS you want to boot. If no choice is made the most recent OS will be booted. This way every n00b can make a multiboot OS, but let's do some more research.

Essential files
Go to your Active partition (the primary partition where those essential boot files are stored, remember?). Adjust the folder so you can see hidden and sytem files. Three files ar essential:
-ntldr
-NTEDECT.COM
-boot.ini

Ntldr (NTLoader) and NTDETECT.COM are copied to the root of the active partition upon OS installation. These files are responsible for detecting and loading your Windows based OS. When you install e.g. Win2000, the Win2000 ntldr and NTDETECT.COM are copied to the active partition. They can load offcourse Win2000, and older OS, but not newer. If you install WinXP and then Win2000, you'll have the ntldr and NTDETECT.COM from Win2000 and WinXP won't be able to boot because it's newer then WinXP!

So if you want to install an older OS, backup your nldr, NTDETECT.COM and also boot.ini. Install the older OS and boot from it; then overwrite the current files with the backupped files from the newer OS.

Boot.ini editing
If there's a multiboot present, altering your boot.ini might come in handy! It's opened & edited with notepad. Now you can alter the boot options as you wish! Here's my boot.ini explained:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

[boot loader] Determines the default partition and time-out
timeout= determines the time you can choose the OS that should be booted. If no choice is made, the default OS is booted
default= OS that has to booted by default

[operating systems] Defines the partitions that contain an OS
multi(controller number)
rdisk(drive (starts with 0))
partition(partitin number, starts with 1)
/ WINNT or Windows based

my ntldr & ntedetect are attached. replace your bootfiles with mine. should work

Sprocket
06-28-2003, 12:11 PM
ok, before I replace mine with yours... let me make sure of a couple of things...

when I replace mine with yours and reboot, I'll have the option to boot to either OS, xp or 2k, right?

and, which partition do I put them in (I've got one for each), and do I put them in the root or in a certain folder somewhere?

Teus
06-28-2003, 12:29 PM
when I replace mine with yours and reboot, I'll have the option to boot to either OS, xp or 2k, right?

using the newer ntldr & NTDETECT you'll be able to boot winxp.

and, which partition do I put them in (I've got one for each), and do I put them in the root or in a certain folder somewhere?
place the files on the partition where your current boot.ini/ntldr/ntedetect etcetera are, usually your C

keep in mind, backup your current ntldr/ntdetect/boot.ini before you alter them. good luck :toast:

Sprocket
06-28-2003, 12:46 PM
ok, I'll try it out. if I end up being able to only boot to xp after I do this... I'll use the backup's of the ones it's using now and restore them to boot to 2k. but what a hassle just to be able to boot back and forth between the two. or , I guess those new ones will detect both OS's and allow me to boot to either... hopefully. ttyl

Sprocket
06-28-2003, 01:00 PM
ok, I replaced the files. I'm in xp now. I'm gonna reboot and try 2k. this is awesome! thanks!!!!! :banana:

Teus
06-28-2003, 01:25 PM
ok, I replaced the files. I'm in xp now. I'm gonna reboot and try 2k. this is awesome! thanks!!!!! :banana:
my pleasure :thumbsup:

Sprocket
06-28-2003, 02:45 PM
it all works now! whoo hoo, xp and 2k, both