PDA

View Full Version : decent BGA cooling options for 8800GTX + MCW60?

stormshadow
07-20-2007, 12:57 PM
About to become a first time 8800 owner. (first time PCI-Express owner as a matter of fact lol).

Has Swiftech made any improvements over the adhesive on the ramsinks? My last experience was a nightmare.

any other non-full cover options to help cool the memory?
I want to keep my MCW60.

Are aluminum heatsinks a huge step down in cooling performance?
I only ask because the aluminum one's i've used in the past at least had decent thermal pad / adhesive.

I'd like to avoid using any type of permanent thermal adhesive in case i want to sell the card in the future.

No full cover / Stealth pls.

thx.

sick_g4m3r
07-20-2007, 01:12 PM
TT BGA sinks. 8 bucks for 8, and a mix of MX-1/AS5 and epoxy

stormshadow
07-20-2007, 01:16 PM
hmm. if i could, i'd prefer to stay away from thermaltake.

do you guys think a D-Tek Uni-sink would work w/ a Swiftech MCW60?

Crossbreeding?!

sick_g4m3r
07-20-2007, 01:20 PM
It would work, but the thermal pad is the problem.

IMO copper is copper...

http://www.cbwstores.com/catalog/images/P/resize-01.jpg

LinusTech
it should work just fine according to D-TEK

cletus_cassidy
There is a thread I started yesterday addressing the Swiftech ramsinks. I had terrible luck with them until I used a dot of superglue. As for the Uni-Sink, it fits with the MCW60 (there are threads on this too) but there are issues as to whether the sink actually makes contact with all of the RAM chips. Hope that helps.

stormshadow
07-20-2007, 01:31 PM
There is a thread I started yesterday addressing the Swiftech ramsinks. I had terrible luck with them until I used a dot of superglue. As for the Uni-Sink, it fits with the MCW60 (there are threads on this too) but there are issues as to whether the sink actually makes contact with all of the RAM chips. Hope that helps.

good info thank you.

i just read up on your thread regarding the ramsinks. one word: argghhh.

at least now, i have an upside down mobo configuration so IF i do end up using the ramsinks, gravity won't be as much of an issue in terms of raining ramsinks.

sucks to hear about uneven contact w/ the Uni-Sink.
that's gonna be quite a turnoff

I would really love it if Swiftech came out w/ an 8800 version of their MCW-Ramcool. I've got one on my card that i'm using now and I love it.