PDA

View Full Version : Memories Seem to be dead - RMA questions

veilsidebr
07-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Hello everyone.

I have the G.Skill PC6400 4-4-3-5 DDR2 800 model GBHK i guess.

Have been using it since appril. I did some tests on it, could run even at 900 mhz with stock voltage-timings, but i always use 850 mhz @ 4-4-3-5 with 2.1 voltage.

I remember to have seen some freeze bios screens, some time ago, while changing my CPU clock. It would just be solved, by removing the battery and just that. I mean bios screen freezes, like, you couldnt even enter on setup, it would freeze immediatelly on that black screen, with cpu and memory info and stuff.

So i would take battery off and the pc would boot again normally.

Well i had that issue yesterday, when i tried to down my CPU clock from 3.8 to 3.7 ghz(P4 631 HT 3.0) and then when i rebooted, it wouldnt come back from death anymore.

Constant BIOS freezing screens, and some strange characters appearing right after the line "SLI MEMORY something", when it should appear as DISABLED since i have no memories ready for SLI.

Well no way removing batteries or anything, nothing can solve it, it freezes all the way through, on the first starting screens.

I tried to put the same memories on other pc, and got same results. So i had the final conclusion it was all about memories.

I am from Brazil, São Paulo, and i would like to know if its trouble-free, sending my memories to the specified address on the main-fixed topic about RMA Policies & procedures, here from Brazil.

Other thing i'd like to ask is, as i live in brazil and as i've got the memories from a local internet store, i thought about sending it to this store(that isn't located in my city, so it would take some days for the good to get there) and then, this store would RMA to G.SKill.

But the guy from the store, told me that i can RMA directly to G.Skill, probably would save alot of time.

What should i do? :(

Thank you.

flashnc
07-20-2007, 08:52 AM
go directly to Gskill...they are very good about doing RMA's and then returning promptly the memory back to you.....

veilsidebr
07-20-2007, 09:08 AM
go directly to Gskill...they are very good about doing RMA's and then returning promptly the memory back to you.....

nice, am i safe sending it from brazil straight to them? And so, if the product is really a defective unit, i get brand-new right?

I have never sent anything out of brazil, so i am abit unsafe about it...

Shiping taxes for the RMA, how does it work?

GSKILL TECH
07-20-2007, 09:30 AM
http://www.gskill.us/support21.htm

fill out rma form and return to rma@gskill.com

custom tax is depends on your country's custom. for any out going mail, it require to put value on the package. we will state the memory is for RMA and very low declear value. but still it is depens on your custom they want to charge you or not

veilsidebr
07-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Ok thank you.

After the arrival of my good to you guys there in G.Skill, is there any notification about G.Skill that, in case of a really defective unit and so warranty's coverage, to tell me that the product has been analized and i will receive a brand-new one, or like, that the product has just arrived? I mean, if i will be prompted and have feedback about all the procedures that are gonna be done with my good?

Well i'd paid for the incoming taxes, but i really don't know the values for it in the returning path, to my home, so i think it would be up to G.Skill to pay it the way-back-home shiping taxes?

GSKILL TECH
07-20-2007, 10:06 AM
well, most the time we just replace you a new one. as long as there is no phyical damage. if there is cutom tax you need to pay or it. your custom will not bill us.

veilsidebr
07-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Ok so shall i send the money for the returning-to-my-home shiping tax? Or can i pay when i go to get it from the mail service?

GSKILL TECH
07-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Ok so shall i send the money for the returning-to-my-home shiping tax? Or can i pay when i go to get it from the mail service?
?

you don't need to send any money to us. if your custom going to bill you, they will call you.

veilsidebr
07-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Reporting tests:

I tried to put some worse memories on my pc, some value DDR2 533 from kingston. Well as expected, they immediatelly booted and worked very ok, yet too slow since it was a single unit of 512 MB.

So i thought about returning my DDR2 Gskill's to my pc, in an attempt of to use it with some starting bios lower mhz values, to see if they would any boot.

Well it actually booted, both of them mounted(2 GB) and so i set in bios it to work @ 800 mhz,4-4-3-5 and 2.1 voltage, just as stock.

Worked again, and windows got to boot perfectly. Tried orthos for 1 hour, on the memory test option, and even using windows with orthos @ background, i haven't seen any problem.

I tried to use then my old settings of 850 mhz, 4-4-3-5 2.125v and 2T. Worked again with some stable results.

I dunno if theres some kind of unstability from the pairs, to be and be not working before and now. I think if i push them further they will probably freeze(i saw another bios freeze screen when tried to run 830 mhz manually, with 2.1v and 2T and stock timings).

I dunno what do these results mean on the table, any tips if this is really a faulty unit or defective one? Any diagnostics?

ps: orthos, superpi and everything passed succsessfully, i shall try some intense gaming now, aswell as some 3dmark runs, but im sure it will pass since orthos is the most stressing one and it wasnt a trouble. Yet, at least.

Altough i've seen that it doesnt look like the same as before, i mean, it looks like the pc is always loading something, i think the memories are not really the same.

Thank you

GSKILL TECH
07-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Reporting tests:

I tried to put some worse memories on my pc, some value DDR2 533 from kingston. Well as expected, they immediatelly booted and worked very ok, yet too slow since it was a single unit of 512 MB.

So i thought about returning my DDR2 Gskill's to my pc, in an attempt of to use it with some starting bios lower mhz values, to see if they would any boot.

Well it actually booted, both of them mounted(2 GB) and so i set in bios it to work @ 800 mhz,4-4-3-5 and 2.1 voltage, just as stock.

Worked again, and windows got to boot perfectly. Tried orthos for 1 hour, on the memory test option, and even using windows with orthos @ background, i haven't seen any problem.

I tried to use then my old settings of 850 mhz, 4-4-3-5 2.125v and 2T. Worked again with some stable results.

I dunno if theres some kind of unstability from the pairs, to be and be not working before and now. I think if i push them further they will probably freeze(i saw another bios freeze screen when tried to run 830 mhz manually, with 2.1v and 2T and stock timings).

I dunno what do these results mean on the table, any tips if this is really a faulty unit or defective one? Any diagnostics?

ps: orthos, superpi and everything passed succsessfully, i shall try some intense gaming now, aswell as some 3dmark runs, but im sure it will pass since orthos is the most stressing one and it wasnt a trouble. Yet, at least.

Altough i've seen that it doesnt look like the same as before, i mean, it looks like the pc is always loading something, i think the memories are not really the same.

Thank you
are you talking about your replacement or your original kit is working fine now?

veilsidebr
07-24-2007, 02:12 PM
are you talking about your replacement or your original kit is working fine now?

Its not working fine at all, it works but i see its really not the same.

I think i could have a frozen bios again at anytime.

The system is just not with the same response as before, after that "definitive" freeze on bios.

After recovering the memories(i dont know how) they are really not the same. And that's on stock speeds.

veilsidebr
07-25-2007, 07:24 AM
i havent received any response from G.Skill's RMA team yet.

Sent the e-mail with the filled form, on monday night.