PDA

View Full Version : general overclocking

dot64
07-17-2007, 04:42 PM
just was wondering if anyone had some tips or advice in order to experience the longest chip life. i have currently cool & quiet enabled which is helping a bit for temp. when idle.

thanks.

JAWS
07-17-2007, 05:52 PM
I would have to say heat is one of the most important aspects to keeping a cpu alive. just make sure you have good cooling and you should be fine.

Kaze06
07-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Well, don't overclock for one.

Oh wait, forgot I'm on XS :P.

SoulsCollective
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Heat and voltage.

Voltage causes electromigration, where the silicon semi-conductors inside your CPU actually cease to function. Heat just causes general degradation. Out of these two, though, heat is by far the more dangerous, as at anything less than extreme voltages (1.6V+), it will take years of 24/7 use for electromigration to render your chip useless. Basically, use the volts you need to to get the OC you want, but watch your heat outputs - for long-term use, try and keep your load temps under 50 deg C.

dot64
07-17-2007, 08:15 PM
my AMD Opteron 165 is what im regarding to about this thread. for heat, what would be an good temp range to stay in to have optimal cpu life? under 50-55? and as for voltage, what would be 'ok' 'safe' to reach? im thinking of clocking a bit more but its going to need a bit more voltage. is 1.45 a good limit? just looking for rough ranges. thanks for the input too. :)

JAWS
07-17-2007, 08:22 PM
my AMD Opteron 165 is what im regarding to about this thread. for heat, what would be an good temp range to stay in to have optimal cpu life? under 50-55? and as for voltage, what would be 'ok' 'safe' to reach? im thinking of clocking a bit more but its going to need a bit more voltage. is 1.45 a good limit? just looking for rough ranges. thanks for the input too. :)

I would determine the voltage you need and see what the opti has to offer. 50-55 it's ok for a stock cooler, but it might should be a little lower. It's kinda difficult to ask about long life cpu's @ Xtreme. :D

dot64
07-17-2007, 08:35 PM
yeah i know. it only gets to 50-55 when 100% both cores. i was thinking of getting another cooler. i dont want to exceed 1.45v hoping that its a 'safe' voltage to keep the chip going for atleast a good while. i was looking at the Zalman CNPS9500. is this one ok or is another one recommended? thanks.

cantankerous
07-18-2007, 04:07 AM
My 4800+ runs very hot naturally. It is running at 2.84ghz with only 1.38v yet I still get 50-55 myself without much effort. This is with many remounts and no change. My cpu is still running great since I first dropped it in last October. With such low volts I should be getting lower attemps but unfortunately I'm not.