PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Storm on 775

MikalCarbine
07-16-2007, 08:21 AM
I am upgrading to C2D soon and I was wondering how I will go about mounting my storm

I would like to get a 775 backplate to avoid any warping of my board, does anyone know where I can get one of these alone?

I also see people mounting their blocks with springs under these copper thumbscrews from screws protruding from the motherboard, could someone point me where to find this type of hardware? I am assuming my local hardware store wouldn't have those copper thumbscrews

Ad1tya
07-16-2007, 09:06 AM
^^ Storm, aint that great a block for C2D's.

You may want to get a DTek Fuzion or a ApogeeGT / GTX.

Backplates, Swiftech have them for sale alone.

MikalCarbine
07-16-2007, 09:17 AM
I am planning on going to the Fuzion sometime, my budget just can't afford it after buying a new CPU/Mem/Mobo

Thanks for the info on the backplate

[XC] DragonOrta
07-16-2007, 09:37 AM
I got a box of 50 6-32 knurled nuts from McMaster-Carr. Part number 92741A110.

The Scythe backplates from Petra's have been working perfectly with my bowed Apogee GT. Mobo is flat as can be.

Senater_Cache
07-16-2007, 09:38 AM
storm works just fine for C2D, core2Quad I would reconsider though.

backplates can be had from swifty and scythe...look around different e-tailers.
I am sure you could get the thumbscrews at HomeDepot or Loewe's. I think the Storm's machine screws are 6-32 IIRC.

Deux
07-16-2007, 10:04 AM
I use the thermalright bolt-thru-kit backplate with the threads drilled out with my storm. I found one on SVC for ~$5.

buffbiff21
07-16-2007, 10:34 AM
^^ Storm, aint that great a block for C2D's.

AFAIK Storm is THE BEST for C2D and smaller die CPUs.

lowfat
07-16-2007, 12:43 PM
AFAIK Storm is THE BEST for C2D and smaller die CPUs.

Definately incorrect. If you remove the IHS the yes it is a very good block. Fuzion and Apogee GT/GTX walk right over the Storm.

Grinch
07-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Definately incorrect. If you remove the IHS the yes it is a very good block. Fuzion and Apogee GT/GTX walk right over the Storm.

proven multiple times....agree 100%

buffbiff21
07-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Fuzion and Apogee GT/GTX walk right over the Storm.

Not from what I'e seen. In all the tests the Storm had a slight advantage over even the Fuzion and GT.

lowfat
07-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Not from what I'e seen. In all the tests the Storm had a slight advantage over even the Fuzion and GT.

Cathar even admits it. Read the post above, it has been proven many times. I've seen a good 4-5C difference in plenty of tests.

Grinch
07-16-2007, 01:16 PM

where have you seen this?

MikalCarbine
07-16-2007, 04:38 PM
I know the Storm does better with IHSless cpu's, maybe I'll have to decap my E6750 (if possible) ;)

Does anyone know if a kit like this (http://www.petrastechshop.com/ekcpuwamoha.html) will work with a backplate+a storm?

Grinch
07-16-2007, 04:39 PM
it sould work fine

buffbiff21
07-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Cathar even admits it. Read the post above, it has been proven many times. I've seen a good 4-5C difference in plenty of tests.

I was seeing the Storm with a lapped IHS beat even the Fuzion by 2 degrees C. (for C2D; not C2Q)

where have you seen this?

Here on the forums. I just tried a search, but no luck. Couldn't find it. I think it was in one of philly_boy's tests or nikhsub or one of the other testing guys around here.

Angry_Steel
07-17-2007, 02:25 AM
I had the Storm mounted on my P5K-D before I bought this Fuzion and the amount of bowing with the Storm was hardly worth mentioning, I wouldnt even worry about a backplate for the Storm unless your planning on really cranking it down.

Bigchrome
07-17-2007, 02:36 AM
I have a Storm and Apogee that I swap in and out of the rig all the time... At worst the Storm is 1c hotter than apogee (enough to be caused by mount) but that's not what this is about.... The storm and apogee both bowed my board very badly... Can't see one corner of the board from the other when looking along base. Almost an inch higher on one side!! Not as bad as what I did to my DFi Expert tho... Heard the board crack when I was tightening the screws.... I wouldn't mind getting a backing plate either, would it be possible to use my Pots plate screws and wingnuts?

MikalCarbine
07-17-2007, 03:15 AM
I had the Storm mounted on my P5K-D before I bought this Fuzion and the amount of bowing with the Storm was hardly worth mentioning, I wouldnt even worry about a backplate for the Storm unless your planning on really cranking it down.

I think I'll get the backplate regardless for I'll be upgrading to the Fuzion once I get some money

I'm correct in assuming the fuzion doesn't come with a backplate?

.Logic
07-17-2007, 03:30 AM
I would recommend using a backplate whatever the situation, they are not expensive and provide much needed protection for the motherboard.

The tiniest bend to any PCB can cause microfractures and render it useless, using a backplate helps to eliminate this risk. (After re-reading through that myself I feel like a sales rep for backplates ;) )