PDA

View Full Version : *frustrated* looking for low profile gpu block

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm looking for a low profile GPU waterblock (read: i need the slot below the video card) - i dont want/need a FC block. I'm only in it for getting rid of fan noise, so performance takes a back seat so-to-speak... all i want is low profile, copper, thats it! anyone know anything?

kevinbo03
07-14-2007, 07:16 PM
http://www.petrastechshop.com/q.html

Patriote
07-14-2007, 07:19 PM
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=240&products_id=4086

Depending on what clamps you will be using, the MCW60 is low profile as well.

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 07:20 PM
oo hello!
does this thing fit a X1950Pro?

kevinbo03
07-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Yep

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 07:29 PM
neither of these blocks will fit fellas! i need a block no taller than 15mm. the DD is 25mm, the swifty 32mm!

Patriote
07-14-2007, 07:31 PM
What board do you have ? Either of these block will let you use the PCI slot under your card.

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 07:37 PM
gimme few mins...

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 07:58 PM
ok heres pics...

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 08:02 PM
mobo is DFI Expert...

1st pic: the space between the 2 cards as u can c is small!

2nd pic:as u can c, the heatsink starts @ the 190mm mark, & finishes approx 160mm+ mark (thats a good 30mm) as u can also c, it takes up next slot (the PCIEx1 slot is hidden underneath)

3rd pic: sorry for fuzzy-ness! but u still might b able to make out that it marks out @ a good 25mm (its a lil extra actually)

Patriote
07-14-2007, 08:03 PM
So, if i get it right, you want to use that 1x PCI slot ? I don't think you'll find any blcok that will allow you to do so... And if you find one, performance won't be there.

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 08:05 PM
well thats fine with me! lol - not interested in performance, just wanna get rid of fan (thus quiet)

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 08:21 PM
*gulp* this one would fit:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=240&products_id=20710

:sofa:

its only 11mm tall! its all copper! performance would b 'meh'... but hey, it would do the trick! :D

*edit: anyone know what it looks like inside? or how it 'performs'?

kevinbo03
07-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Hmm... I'll have to keep that TT block in mind for a Matx i may be building... :cool:

SNiiPE_DoGG
07-14-2007, 08:26 PM
lol @ thermaltake, why not just get a card that doesn't need the x1 slot, most come in many variants

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 08:26 PM
should i? i mean, i really dont care for performance. the card (X1950Pro) is not going to b OC'd. Just wanna get rid of the fan yadda yadda yadda.. i can use 3/8" tubing..

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 08:28 PM
i *need* every last expansion slot on my mobo! I need both PCIEx16, the PCIEx4, the PCIEx1 & all three PCI slots!

kevinbo03
07-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Well, The x1950 is a HOT card...

I just found it, But here's a review of the TT block:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=14612

*gulp* this one would fit:

*edit: anyone know what it looks like inside? or how it 'performs'?

It's called brazed because it's brazed closed. :p:

I too am curious what the inside look like.

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 08:42 PM
nice find! pity it doesnt have a more, ahh, modern card as test subject! *sigh* *should i, shouldnt i*

[XC] DragonOrta
07-14-2007, 09:08 PM
He's talking about using an X1950, which he probably isn't going to be using SLI on.

rogueagent6
07-14-2007, 09:39 PM
First like to point out the yours cards are in the wrong slots for SLI operation

:shakes:

See this.

DragonOrta;2309475']He's talking about using an X1950, which he probably isn't going to be using SLI on.

Last time I looked SLI was nvidia. :shrug:

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 09:46 PM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61697&stc=1&d=1184471817

First like to point out the yours cards are in the wrong slots for SLI operation

#1 card goes(sli sticker on MB) to PCI-e slot close to CPU and #2 next PCI-e slot to it also using the data bridge cross back-top of cards

Thermaltalke Aqua Brazing uses 1/4" hose

The pc in question is the main rig in my sig, so main gpu is a X1950Pro - so obviously *no* SLI. That pic u quoted was taken merely to illustrate the gap/space between 2 cards (it doesnt matter what type of cards or which slot, its always gonna b the same, since manufacturers have adhere to set standards). Under specs page for TT block it says it takes 1/4" & 3/8", so i suppose i can hook up 3/8" tubing/hose to it..

santiagodraco
07-14-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm looking for a low profile GPU waterblock (read: i need the slot below the video card) - i dont want/need a FC block. I'm only in it for getting rid of fan noise, so performance takes a back seat so-to-speak... all i want is low profile, copper, thats it! anyone know anything?

This is what you want right here. I ran one on my 1900xtx (which runs hotter than the 1950pro) and it idled around 38c and load at 50-55ish). Since the XTX ran at 85c with stock cooling that's pretty good. It IS a very good cooler, especially for your application.

http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=382 (http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=382)

It's only 18mm thick as well and will give you complete cooling in single slot size.

If you use it I recommend splitting your loop from whatever the base is (3/8 or 1/2) to 3/8 and 1/4 split, the back to your base. This will maintain your flow properly.

I ran two of these on a crossfire configuration, with a CPU block, and was very happy with it.

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 10:01 PM
if it didnt have Alu in it, i'd consider it...

tiro_uspsss
07-14-2007, 10:05 PM
this looks ok too:

http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29_46&products_id=87

doenst have Alu..

@ santiagodraco: the produst above is intregrated into what u had.. right? if so, could u tell me if the plastic top is removable? thank u!

santiagodraco
07-14-2007, 10:15 PM
this looks ok too:

doenst have Alu..

@ santiagodraco: the produst above is intregrated into what u had.. right? if so, could u tell me if the plastic top is removable? thank u!

Actually I Ebay'd two of those when I upgraded to the 2900xt (bought the new Koolance block for that). I had the two in a crossfire configuration with the CPU. They were running in parallel from a split off the main loop (CPU > split > each GPU > back to loop).

The plastic top? Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the fittings?

All of the block is assembled and as far as I know you can't really take it apart and use it, well, without having to mess with new connections. I'd suggest using the whole block, unless you want to use heat sinks and just go GPU only. Personally I'd go full coverage as it moves more heat off the card and out of the case.

The nice thing about the block and your space limitations is that the fittings are on top of the unit and not over the gpu itself (which is why it is thinner).

Are there solutions that will cool better? Yes, this unit is good but not the best as it's a slightly older design (but really, it is effective, I always had great temps from it). However I don't believe anyone has a better block that isn't too thick, and Koolance hasn't released a newer generation full coveraged (like the 2900 model) so this is your best bet I think.

None of the parts in the unit are alu that touch water. The block is acrylic and copper and the memory block is plated. I used these for over a year with 0 problems from corrosion. The Koolance fluid is also very good.

santiagodraco
07-14-2007, 10:18 PM
this looks ok too:

doenst have Alu..

Sorry forgot to check your link. That's the block used in the full coverage unit. It would probably work for you as well if you wanted to heat sink the memory chips. I'm just not sure I like how it mounts. It's probably fine, I just like 4 point mounts.

tiro_uspsss
07-15-2007, 12:41 AM
i was thinking of mayb ripping the top plastic housing off & making something myself with bigger fittings...

santiagodraco
07-15-2007, 08:23 AM
i was thinking of mayb ripping the top plastic housing off & making something myself with bigger fittings...

Can't help you there. I'd never do that because I just know I'd end up with a broken block and have to buy another :)

santiagodraco
07-15-2007, 12:23 PM
yes i second that, have any machine shop friends, ask then to mill a block for you. sorry about the SLI post, was 2:30am when posted missed the ATI card info

koolance uses 1/4" barbs on WB's

On that particular block you are correct. That's why you need to split the loop before the block and rejoin after. However I was suprised at how well it performed when I used it. Wasn't too bad for a 1/4 connector based block.

TTmodder
07-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Uhh. what are you using all those slots for? Woudn't it be easier selling your dfi mobo and buy one that has a better expansion slot placements. Atleast you will save your watercooling loop (if you have one) from being so dang restricted because of the koolance blocks. Or maybe make a seperate watercooling loop for the gfx.

Cyco
07-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Just a thought but have you considered the thermalright HR-03, as it is be run passive and can be mounted either side (if you have room on the other side that is). it is compatibe on a 1950 pro but:

HR 03 on 1950
As you can see in the picture circled in white, the SMD on the back of the ATI 1950 Pro video card are taller, so when you install the backplate for the HR-03, there will be some contact. A way to go around this problem is to put a non-electrical conductive washer between the board and the screw twist knob as seen in the picture circled in orange.

tiro_uspsss
07-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Just a thought but have you considered the thermalright HR-03, as it is be run passive and can be mounted either side (if you have room on the other side that is). it is compatibe on a 1950 pro but:

HR 03 on 1950
As you can see in the picture circled in white, the SMD on the back of the ATI 1950 Pro video card are taller, so when you install the backplate for the HR-03, there will be some contact. A way to go around this problem is to put a non-electrical conductive washer between the board and the screw twist knob as seen in the picture circled in orange.

na: read previous post about me using *all* slots hehe

Uhh. what are you using all those slots for? Woudn't it be easier selling your dfi mobo and buy one that has a better expansion slot placements. Atleast you will save your watercooling loop (if you have one) from being so dang restricted because of the koolance blocks. Or maybe make a seperate watercooling loop for the gfx.

from top (ES=Expansion Slot):
1 ES - PCIEx16: main GPU
2 ES - PCIEx1: TV card
3 ES - PCIEx4: second GPU (HIS X1300)
4 ES - PCIEx16: RAID controller
5 ES - PCI: SATA card
6 ES - PCI: sound card
7 ES - PCI: i-RAM
i highly doubt slot placement could improve much, nor change my dilemma. It looks like i'll have to go a seperate loop...

yes i second that, have any machine shop friends, ask then to mill a block for you. sorry about the SLI post, was 2:30am when posted missed the ATI card info

koolance uses 1/4" barbs on WB's

ahh, 230am, hehe schhhweeeet lol :D :up:

tiro_uspsss
07-15-2007, 05:36 PM
I've got it! If i could mod this so that the nozzles face outwards/sideways (like 'normal' gpu w/b):

http://www.ntcw.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NTCW&Product_Code=HF-STMCW6002P&Category_Code=STH2OWB

oo! Petra has 'em as well! what does it mean on his website when it says "discontinued" ? Does this mean Swiftech no longer make, but he has left-over stock?

santiagodraco
07-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Well for one thing you don't need 1/2 inch id tubing for a 1950 GPU, it doesn't generate that much heat.

I really think the Koolance is the best choice for you considering your limitations (space), unless someone knows of another block that is less than 20mm high and has hose connectors that fit within that limitation. All of the blocks I've seen, other than Koolance, require 1.5 to 2x that thickness.

Of course the block's not super expensive by itself (if you chose just the block and not the full coverage unit) so you won't be out a whole lot if it doesn't suit your purpose. You can always return it with 90 days as well.

I'd recommend the Swiftech F fitting to split your loop as well.

tiro_uspsss
07-15-2007, 09:18 PM
mm... i'll ask my dad how easy it would b (with his help) to mod that swiftech block... depending on what he says, i'll go from there...

hobo man
07-15-2007, 09:31 PM
http://viscool.com/?page=prod&pol=20

has a steel top tho'

dinos22
07-15-2007, 09:45 PM
na: read previous post about me using *all* slots hehe

from top (ES=Expansion Slot):
1 ES - PCIEx16: main GPU
2 ES - PCIEx1: TV card
3 ES - PCIEx4: second GPU (HIS X1300)
4 ES - PCIEx16: RAID controller
5 ES - PCI: SATA card
6 ES - PCI: sound card
7 ES - PCI: i-RAM
i highly doubt slot placement could improve much, nor change my dilemma. It looks like i'll have to go a seperate loop...

ahh, 230am, hehe schhhweeeet lol :D :up:
get a USB TV Card
problem solved

if you are using a HDTV Card i can tell you that Videomate U300 is excellent quality all round.....i got rid of my PCI card for this usb one

tiro_uspsss
07-15-2007, 10:35 PM
get a USB TV Card
problem solved

if you are using a HDTV Card i can tell you that Videomate U300 is excellent quality all round.....i got rid of my PCI card for this usb one

mmm... the tv card i've chosen does 'everything' : HDTV, STV, VIVO, FM Radio etc etc... I have yet to find a USB tuner that does all that... if u know one, i'm listening! :up:

tiro_uspsss
07-16-2007, 03:29 AM
showed dad pics of the Swiftech 6002, & asked him about modding it: he gave the green light & 2 thumbs up! :D i love my Dad! of to Petras for a chat hehe!