PDA

View Full Version : your favorite TEC waterblocks

Weapon
06-26-2003, 03:36 PM
Post your favorite waterblock for use with peltiers -- cpu, gpu, n.bridge...whatever you cool with peltiers and the block you use with it.

I am looking for waterblocks to use with the watercooling box I am building and I cannot make up my mind. :confused:

Major
06-26-2003, 06:19 PM
I agree with jason, Swiftech make the best blocks for pelts.

Kunaak
06-26-2003, 09:34 PM
dangerden Maze4 GPU pelt block.

I don't have one yet, but I garauntee, I will the first day I see it for sale. I love dangerden stuff, and the new Maze 4's are even better.

I personally don't like the weird mount of swiftechs, so I stick with dangerden. ;)

Method Man
06-26-2003, 09:37 PM
Swiftech

Weapon
06-26-2003, 10:36 PM
has anyone seen or heard anymore news on Cathar's peltier block? I have seen several pics of it but it seems to be hanging in the prototype/testing phase.

Right now I have an interesting n.bridge block with a peltier -- a maze 2-1 with the coldplate hacked to fit around the caps and other obstacles -- it makes a hell@ mean n.bridge cooler with an 80 watt peltier and 1140 gph going through it. :)

the swiftechs look pretty damn good. I already had those on the short list of peltier blocks that I was considering. More points for them.

Jeff
06-27-2003, 02:26 AM
I've only owned a Swiftech so I can't really compare it to anything but I also have nothing bad to say about it. ;) With AMD chips, it uses the four hole mounting method so it's actually pretty easy to install/uninstall.

]JR[
06-27-2003, 02:39 AM
Ive use a maze2-2, a home made copy of a 2-2, a swifty 462 and a home made direct hotside cooling 172watt based one.

Personally i find the swifty the best of the manafactured blocks for 1 reason, the insulation is very well done. Performance wise the maze2-2 with dual 172watters whoops every other tec block out there atm performance wise.

My direct hotside is very good performance wise on low cpu volts, its not quite got the balls for a cpu block really, itll go on the gpu soon once my phaser is finished

http://www.phjrw.34sp.com/direct1.jpg
http://www.phjrw.34sp.com/direct2.jpg
http://www.phjrw.34sp.com/direct3.jpg

]JR[

jinu117
06-27-2003, 01:20 PM
MCW-5000PT... can't get any easier with TECs.

Holst
06-27-2003, 06:45 PM
I have an OCPS atlantis with a coldplate, it seems to be as good as anything out there with a 220watt TEC. Prommy still beats it hands down though.

Im currently thinking about putting a TEC on my NB and GPU, depends on how lazy I am....

mdzcpa
06-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Definitely Swiftech for the TEC blocks. The MCW462-UHT is best. The only way to get good die pressure is with the 4 hole mounting offered by the MCW462.

Tedinde
06-28-2003, 06:37 AM
Love my swiftechs, easy just bolt it on. I still cant figure why all the others cant make something with gasket built in.

Weapon
06-28-2003, 11:00 AM
the swiftech looks good and it looks like it is very easy to work with as far as mounting and insulating goes.

still, the maze 2-2 with the dual 40mm x 40mm peltiers is very tempting due to the raw cooling performance it can produce. If you add dual 172w peltiers, you could run them at 80% of max and still be very cold.

Also, it seems like the 2-2 would be fairly easy to mod as to where the neoprene insulation required for proper condensation prevention would be more user friendly -- like that found on the swiftech.

It might require making a new cold plate but it looks entirely possible.

how lazy do I want to be? :D

corbec
06-30-2003, 11:42 PM
swiffys all the way! they look the best and are swiftech quality which is really good:D

jinu117
07-01-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Weapon
the swiftech looks good and it looks like it is very easy to work with as far as mounting and insulating goes.

still, the maze 2-2 with the dual 40mm x 40mm peltiers is very tempting due to the raw cooling performance it can produce. If you add dual 172w peltiers, you could run them at 80% of max and still be very cold.

Also, it seems like the 2-2 would be fairly easy to mod as to where the neoprene insulation required for proper condensation prevention would be more user friendly -- like that found on the swiftech.

It might require making a new cold plate but it looks entirely possible.

how lazy do I want to be? :D

Didn't know you could do that with DD. The problem is, such drain means more power needed to be supplied, more cooling solution on H2O side = more money :P I thought my previous TEC setup was approaching the price of vapo or prom. This will definitely get there. What is the point than? :P

]JR[
07-01-2003, 07:33 AM
A properly done maze2-2 with dual 172watt tecs will outperform a vapochill, and at big (120watt+) loads it will perform around the same level prometia assuming you have enough rads or a bong to keep the water temps down (<30C).

Although its big hassle, space, noise and cost.

]JR[

corbec
07-01-2003, 08:21 AM
whats the diff. between vapochill and a prommie? i know what a prommie is...

Marci
07-03-2003, 09:16 AM
Samething but using different components and voltages. Vapochill not as good (in terms of pure performance) due to smaller compressor and higher temps.

jinu117
07-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by ]JR[
A properly done maze2-2 with dual 172watt tecs will outperform a vapochill, and at big (120watt+) loads it will perform around the same level prometia assuming you have enough rads or a bong to keep the water temps down (<30C).

Although its big hassle, space, noise and cost.

]JR[

And you forgot to mention.... the HEAT...
Primary reason I sold my tec setup to begin with :P

Weapon
07-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by jinu117
Didn't know you could do that with DD. The problem is, such drain means more power needed to be supplied, more cooling solution on H2O side = more money :P I thought my previous TEC setup was approaching the price of vapo or prom. This will definitely get there. What is the point than? :P

you can mod anything with enough thought and effort.
as far as the point of doing it -- that isnt entirely relevant --half the fun is building it :D besides, I already have a vapochill.

I already have the power supply problem covered.

vapo in process of conversion to 404:D

Dirty_Punk
07-18-2003, 07:57 AM
i hope to try t-rex soon... from users tha have used both t-rex and swifty seems that t-rex is much easy to intall and performs better than MCW462

http://www.pctuner.net/php/Articoli/Articolo.php?ID=213

but must find a good psu, i need 15v, 12v isn't enought :p :D

zippyc
08-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Anyone up for a peltier sandwich?

I use an alternative type of peltier cooling (cold-loop/hot-loop).

I should be able to get up to 2KW of peltiers sorrounding the cold block in this custom block set.

The outer two blocks went up for sale, it was my birthday, I offered money for a third block, the rest is history. They are on their way to me as we speak.

These blocks weigh in at almost 30 LBS! Notice the nice holes for good even clamping....

I have four pumps and four heatercores to cool the outer blocks and loads of power supplies and peltiers.

This setup should make a pretty nice freezing cold loop on it's own. Later I plan to replace the heater cores with a -20c water chiller, I could see some very low temps on the cold loop then
(-30/-40 Maybe?).

Waiting for the delivery guy now...

neyoung
08-05-2003, 02:35 AM
I'm down with the Swiftech blocks. They looks sharp, come with everything needed to get off the ground and perform. What more could you want?

zippyc
08-05-2003, 07:06 AM
I want more, colder....

I like the swifty's too, just imagine the performance they will see when the water they get on the hot side is cooled to 2C by my three big blocks above....and when I add the chiller look out for even lower temps!

The swiftys perform only as well as you can keep the hot side cool, if ya get my drift.

Weapon
08-05-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by zippyc
Anyone up for a peltier sandwich?

I use an alternative type of peltier cooling (cold-loop/hot-loop).

I should be able to get up to 2KW of peltiers sorrounding the cold block in this custom block set.

The outer two blocks went up for sale, it was my birthday, I offered money for a third block, the rest is history. They are on their way to me as we speak.

These blocks weigh in at almost 30 LBS! Notice the nice holes for good even clamping....

I have four pumps and four heatercores to cool the outer blocks and loads of power supplies and peltiers.

This setup should make a pretty nice freezing cold loop on it's own. Later I plan to replace the heater cores with a -20c water chiller, I could see some very low temps on the cold loop then
(-30/-40 Maybe?).

Waiting for the delivery guy now...

those blocks are nice. :slobber:

zippyc
08-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Here is a glamour shot after I polished 'em and added the barbs.

Ready for leak testing!

corbec
08-09-2003, 07:01 PM
i think those blocks need lapping. thers like no reflection

Friar Tuck
08-12-2003, 04:51 PM
You sure are going to have a LOT of fun trying to keep the hot sides of those blocks cool, mate.

I tried this years ago, and gave up.. it was too hard to keep the hot sides cool.

FT.

zippyc
08-12-2003, 06:10 PM
I am currently using four big heater cores in two external boxes, which takes care of dissipating the heat from over 800w of pelts from two peltier sandwiches. These boxes sit almost entirely hidden under the bed in the guest room. So the heat is handled. And it was actually fun to build for me. To each his own I suppose.

Three smaller aluminum blocks currently gather the heat. The hot loop water sits around 38-39c with all pelts running full voltages.

The cold loop goes pump>4 way manifold>four copper blocks with pelts> four cold streams are recombined into A and B (A routs to CPU, B to GPU), from CPU and GPU is combined and sent back to pump.

H2O temps go down to 2c, and up to 13c during heaviest use and with the hot water warmed completely.

Going from using seven blocks to only three will definitely improve my efficiencies all around, and should improve my results.

And I know I am getting better stability and overclocks at 13C vs. what one sees in standard water cooling. I already consider the cold loop/hot loop design a success, so I'm happy!:banana:

Like I stated earlier I will be building a massive chiller to throw seriously cold "water" at the two hot blocks (like -20c). And then I'll be pumping all the heat out a window. Heat will be zero problem then.

Currently all my heatercores and power supplies sit in the room next to the office, and I run the water through the adjoining wall because of all the heat produced to power and dissipate 800W.

I know it will generate a bunch of heat, however even my current frankenstein design is effective at keeping my cold water where I like it.

What you may not know is that the two outer copper blocks are very well channeled, so they should do a fine job of transfering all that heat to the water. Here is a pic of the inside channels I was refering to...:)

Friar Tuck
08-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Well, it sounds like you have it tamed.. :)

Those copper blocks look very nice.. When I tried doing this sort of thing a long time ago, I used alloy blocks.

In the end, I gave up and just went to direct die cooling as it was easier.

Good luck with the project..:)

FT.

Tedinde
08-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Friar Tuck where are you doing in here!!! hehe

Friar Tuck
08-12-2003, 07:55 PM
G'day Ted... just dropping in like I always do here.. :)

I don't post much, but I lurk a lot.. :)

FT.

Tedinde
08-12-2003, 08:34 PM
I lurk everywhere, same as you. Man my favorites list is long!!! hehe

Friar Tuck
08-12-2003, 08:40 PM
... hehhehheh.. mine too.. :)

Btw, watch your back...we're coming for you.. :)

FT.

Tedinde
08-13-2003, 04:52 PM
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_overview.php?TeamID=32427

You guys are moving up fast!!!! you were around 90 last time i checked!!!

I see you have a couple heavy hitters above you Friar Tuck, and your kicking out some big points too!!!

And you guys have no threats!!!!

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/member_overview.php?UserID=48761

Friar Tuck
08-13-2003, 05:06 PM
..Ahh I only have a few comps folding...not like you mate... :)

Those are nice stats though, I have never seen that stat page before.. thanks for the link.. :)

FT.

ps: Better delete all these posts.. we got a bit OT here.. :)

brevix
08-26-2003, 06:18 AM
http://w1.503.telia.com/~u50303802/hemsida-brevix/pelt%209700pro.htm

zippyc
08-26-2003, 11:48 AM
H2O + 9700 Pro Memory ;)

Weapon
08-26-2003, 09:56 PM
very nice stuff zippyc :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

my TEC project got put on hold for the moment -- I caught the vapor phase change bug and I am messing around with building a direct die setup. It was supposed to be a small project...now my garage looks like a fricken a/c repair shop. :rolleyes:

as soon as this one is knocked out, I am going to order some copper bar stock and start working on the TEC blocks. muahaha...from one chilly project right into another.