PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Shawn
07-02-2002, 02:39 PM
Hi,
I have a pentium 4 computer with a 850E chip set(specs listed below). I heard it could be over clocked to 2.8Ghz and still be very stable but I have no idea how to do so. I just need somebody to point me in the right direction on how to overclock my machine. I know what most of the components on the compute are but when it comes to finding them I am lost. I keep hearing about speeding up the FSB. I know what it is(mine is 533mhz) but if somebody could tell me where it is on the mother board. If anybody can help me I would appreciate it greatly.

My mother board is(D850EMV2)

Thanks
Shawn

OPPAINTER
07-02-2002, 06:56 PM
Shawn

Welcome to Xtreme:D

I don't know that motherboard myself. You could try looking in the bios for some kind of fsb clock adjustment. It should be at 133 right now so you would want to move it up little by little and see how stable you are. If it can't be done in the bios you may have jumpers on the mobo that will allow you to manually set the fsb. I guess you could look in your manual and it should tell you about the CPU Clock adjustment somewhere.

OPP

Shawn
07-02-2002, 09:18 PM
Thanks for your fast reply. When I look at the bios info in my manual it just gives me three choices.(Normal, Configure, Recovery) When I do to the configure it will only let me clear the passwords. There is nothing that lets me adjust the FSB. I also looked for the jumpers in the motherboard diagram and I see nothing. Can you give an idea of what they look like or what the manual might call them?

My computer is a Alienware Area-51 if that help any.

Thanks again
Shawn

IFMU
07-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Well there is alot to look at when trying to OC it.
First, you seem to have checked out, the CPU. From what you say there it should be able to OC pretty nice.
Next, RAM, what can your ram handle? This wont be a major deal until you start getting up there some if you have decent ram. But, its always good to start with kickin ram, just so you know that isnt the problem if you cant get to high with it.
Next, again, is PSU. I dont know about Intel, but with AMD, you need a nice powerful PSU. Im presuming what you have has been recommended by Intel for this here? If not, you might want to look into getting something that is.
Manual and the bios. As OPP said, you need to check out your bios thoroughly. Unless it is jumpers, then just the manual.
It might help with a newer bios (http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/mv2_bios.htm). I cant say for sure since I dont know your board personally. But you can figure it out after some time.
This (http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/) is your board right?
Now going with the presumption it is.
First, just to make sure it wont be any Drivers (http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/mv2_drive.htm) issues, Id check in on the newest out.
Manual (ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/A9439501.pdf) is something you really need to look over very thoroughly. I know it can be annoying, but its the best way to know what you can do with your system before you start. Which is always a very good thing.
(Right click and 'save as' to get it here if you need it, sorry for pdf, all it comes in.)
Ok, one thing I just noticed in the manual that is kinda odd, at least in my opinon, within the bios, it has the ECC for ram enabled by default, first, disable that, for a home system, you do not need it. Ok, after a lil more reading, that is Im presuming only on if you are using ECC ram, so if your not you might not have too, but it still wouldnt hurt to check it.
From the manual I am not to impressed with it. Not the board, the actual manual. I couldnt seem to find anything that activly involves altering the fsb or the likes.
However, from what I can see, I would presume it to be within the (Maintenence ~ Extended Configuration) section.
I could be wrong, sorry, I dont know how Intel typically runs their stuff overall.

Now, here comes the fun part.
First thing, if you really want to push the bloody hell outta this sucker.
Shut it down, remove everything. All PCI cards you can.
Leave just the CPU, RAM,CDRom, floppy & Video.
Then get a clean HDD to have within as well.
Next, figure out how the bios works, play with it some, but be careful not to alter anything your not positive about. Just for the safe side. But if you do something here, make sure you know where your Clear Bios jumper is, so you can once you get into it and if you need to reset it all.
Now, with everything out, do a fresh install of your OS. Nice and clean. Install your Benching progs here too, so that way once you get to actually OC'ing it, you know it shouldnt be the OS creathing any problems.
Now, once everything you will need installed, OS, Drivers, blah blah. Go into your bios, then start checkin what it is you need to change, the start bumping up your fsb in slow steps.
Most say start in like 3 or 5 points. But the choice is up to you and how your Mobo will allow you to go. Ive seen some that dont let you jump that high that fast, or even others that limit your jumps to a good 10 fsb at a time. Either way, you will figure that out as your playing with it.
Now, once you feel you might be reaching the max, fully boot into windows, or your chosen OS, and run your benches. If they stay stable, keep it going!!! Just stop and check it with some bendhing of some sorts for a little bit so you know it would be stable for you later. Once its maxed, and you cant get higher, back it down just a tad, then start installing all your other stuff. PCI raid cards? Sound cards, whatever else. Install 1 at a time, boot, install drivers, then run some more benching. If it now crashes, then you know that that card you just added, is whats causing the problems. Remove the said card, bench again.. no crash? Theres the culprit.
But, I think goin at it along these lines will help you out tremendouslly with getting the best OC you can out of it.
Im sure some would disagree that this is really needed, but I think this would give you the best chances to test out for the max of your system.
Sorry for the length, but hope it helps some. And let us know how it goes for yea.

IFMU

IFMU
07-02-2002, 09:40 PM
Ack, you responed to OPP when I was typing that up.. heh...
Well Im thinking that your bios might have it inside this area that I have shown in the pic below. Is this right here?

Shawn
07-03-2002, 08:32 AM
Thanks for all your help. I looked throught the manual and when I go into the bios settings it wont let you adjust anything. When you say bump the fsb? Where is it? I looked over all the motherboard and the only jumper is find are the bios jumpers that wont let me change anything. Should I be looking for something other than jumpers for the fsb.

All the drives and brand new I just updated them and I just updated the bios two days ago.

Thanks again
shawn:rolleyes:

TuXX
07-08-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
Thanks for all your help. I looked throught the manual and when I go into the bios settings it wont let you adjust anything. When you say bump the fsb? Where is it? I looked over all the motherboard and the only jumper is find are the bios jumpers that wont let me change anything. Should I be looking for something other than jumpers for the fsb.

All the drives and brand new I just updated them and I just updated the bios two days ago.

Thanks again
shawn:rolleyes:

Hi Shawn,

Your mobo has no options for overclocking because it's an intel mobo and they don't have any options for overclocking, so stop looking.

Your CPU is already fast. :)

IFMU
07-08-2002, 01:21 PM
TuXX, um, hey man. You couldnt be further from the truth there. Intel has many overclocking motherboards out there. Im curious why you say that. And a CPU is already fast? heh... well... CPU's will never be fast enough :D

And, Welcome to the sickness.

TuXX
07-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by IFMU
TuXX, um, hey man. You couldnt be further from the truth there. Intel has many overclocking motherboards out there. Im curious why you say that. And a CPU is already fast? heh... well... CPU's will never be fast enough :D

And, Welcome to the sickness.

10x for the Welcome IFMU,

I said that because I see many ppl with Intel mobo that don't have any options for overclocking.

Yea, You right CPU will never be fast enough but I don't want that the man will feel bad about that.

Shawn
07-08-2002, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all your help guys you guys helped more more than ever. I was pissed when I read on the intel web sight that there were no adjustement for my motherboard. For the money I paid for this system you would think you could adjust it. O well, thanks again for all your help.

If I was to get a different motherboard or even if I can what would be the best for the system I have? Would it be worth it to get a new one?

Shawn:)