PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard chipset cooling - should I ?

aussie-revhead
07-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Hi guys , with the expected emergence of new q6600's etc I am in the process of assembling a new rig and upgrading the water cooling. Would you guys advise to water cool the motherboard chipset ? A while back people generally said its not needed but I have seen lately that people are fitting them again. What do you think? What is the best chipset cooler atm ?

So far I have an MCP-655, MCW-60 and a Fuzion. Radiator is still pending but probably a PA120.3.

:up:

Jedda
07-13-2007, 05:58 AM
There's usually not a need to do the chipset. Although the 680i runs very hot and is getting the treatment in some builds.
Are you likely to add the gpu?
Even the mighty PA120.3 has a limit to the number of blocks.
Might consider two smaller rads. Thermochill prices are back up again.

jarman
07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
maze4 GPU block is very low restriction and really good. Having a good cooler on the NB is a good idea imo, doesnt necessarily have to be a wb. Ther thermalright hr-05 is an awesome cooler. Dropped 30 degrees on my nforce 4

CedricFP
07-13-2007, 05:19 PM
There's usually not a need to do the chipset. Although the 680i runs very hot and is getting the treatment in some builds.
Are you likely to add the gpu?
Even the mighty PA120.3 has a limit to the number of blocks.
Might consider two smaller rads. Thermochill prices are back up again.
I don't see the PA120.3 not handling a quad core, 88GTX and chipset block satisfactorily.

OP: I wouldn't bother with a chipset block, personally, as I believe heat is not the limiting factor when OC'ing quads on either the 965 or p35 boards.

coolrmaster
07-13-2007, 09:43 PM
just get the thermal right heatsink for chipset and you will not be disappointed

santiagodraco
07-13-2007, 09:51 PM
If you are planning on overclocking a lot, and want to remove heat from inside the case, add a block to the NB. Adding the block to the NB will allow you to reduce system fan speed a bit and quiet your pc. The NB does put out a fair amount of heat.

I'm running a 3 block single loop right now with no problems and I can very stably run my Asus P5W-DH Deluxe at 3.6 ghz (I run at 3.4ghz normally) with no problem. That includes an overclocked 2900 as well.

Jedda
07-14-2007, 12:14 AM
I don't see the PA120.3 not handling a quad core, 88GTX and chipset block satisfactorily.

Probably not, depending on over clocking.
The point is moot anyway, as the OP will probably be using a different rad. Thermochill prices have rerisen here.