PDA

View Full Version : In-depth FX5900 Round-up/Article @ UKGamer (nude photos)

Liquid3D
06-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Warning the photo below is graphic PG13 There's an excellent in-depth round-up at UKGamer pertaining to the FX 5900 series cards. But more importantly, how they work. It discusses system BUS (async/sync), Memory, VPU, instruction-sets, Bandwidth, etc. and basically reduces all Graphics cards attributes to mundane terminology. Below is a picture of the Gainward Goldensample with it's undies off. I think that's pretty in-depth! I learned quite a few things. Give her a whirl;
http://www.ukgamer.com/article.php4?id=5&page=1

TerroH8er
06-25-2003, 07:30 PM
That's dissapointing that the 5900s are doing so bad. I mean, not bad, but worse than the 9800 Pro in a lot of tests.

Liquid3D
06-25-2003, 08:14 PM
I believe it's nVidia's reiteration of the same technology since the VSA-100. I know many will freak out by my claims, but I feel nVidia has re-invented the same technology for the last 3 years. Tell me what has really changed since the Geforce? If you want to be historically accurate the chipset the 5900 is based on attributes of the Daytona (3dfX), and Rampage (3dfX). The Geforce (256/2) series, based on the Napalm, Ultra/Ti 4 series on Daytona. In fact the this should be the Rampage chipset, but they split the design team in half, ATI and nVidia. I can't even imagine what the technology would be like integrated into one card, if 3dfX were still alive today. We would all be pinning for Rampage based graphics card. 3dfx's Rampage was to have a advanced "T-Buffer" 4-sample AA with no performance hit, 400MHz/128-bit DDR architecture, and this from 1999 white-paper. It's scary when you read up on 3dfX's break-up, and where the designers, engineers, and most importantly the intellectual property went (the latter to nVidia of course).