PDA

View Full Version : Hot macbook Fix

ineedaname
07-10-2007, 11:42 PM
My gf's macbook was constantly getting pretty hot and the fan would always have to be on high. I checked the temps using speedfan (unfortunately the exact number slips me at the moment) and it was pretty hot.

I tried using SMCfancontrol to keep the fan on 100%, it helped but using windows made the program very annoying and it was loud. To get it to work in windows you have to boot up in OSX turn the fan on 100% then reset but if the computer goes into sleep mode it reverts back.

Well anyways, I decided to try to fix it myself after seeing many people have tried replacing the TIM on their own.

This website was useful and provided detail instructions:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook/Complete-Disassembly/86/1

The process itself isn't hard at all but its a bit tedious because they use a TON of small screws. After replacing the TIM the macbook is considerably cooler and doesn't need the fan on as much. Overall it was a great success. Sorry I don't have pics tho cuz i couldn't find my camera at the time.

BTW there's a diode connected onto the heatpipe of the heatsink. If you're judging off this then its misleading cuz as the core itself gets cooler the heatpipe gets warmer. So its better 2 use the actual core temps.

XS_Rich
07-11-2007, 01:59 AM
I'd strongly recommend you go and buy CoolBook as well. Best $12 I ever spent!

Managed to undervolt my MacBook (Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz) to its minimum voltage for ALL multipliers, and it took 20C off my full load temperature without me changing the fans. Consequently it runs a LOT cooler (doesn't burn my lap any more), and the fans hardly ever kick in.

My $.02

zoob
07-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Wow, such a long disassembly procedure.
I think I'll do this to my Macbook since any kind of load makes the fan go nuts. Thanks for the link!

ugp
07-11-2007, 05:39 PM
I took apart my MacBook the 3rd day I had it and did this to it. It took me around 45 minutes. I took my time. I would recommend getting an egg carton for all the small screws...each screw is a different length down to the mm. And each one is designed for that one spot.

I used a MacBook service manual to take mine apart. It worked great.

ineedaname
07-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Yea like UGP said you definately want something to hold the screws cuz there's a LOT of them.

Fortunately the disassembly guide does tell u which screw goes where.

BTW is there a windows version of coolbook?

ineedaname
07-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Well I emailed those Coolbook people about a windows version and surprisingly they told me to just get NHC. So I looked it up and turned up this.

http://www.pbus-167.com/nhc/nhc.htm

I haven't tried it yet tho I plan to tomorrow. Maybe you guys will have some luck with it too.

Supposedly Rightmark Works with these Macbooks too. Here's the link.

http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

XS_Rich
07-12-2007, 07:02 AM
I take it your using Boot Camp then?

lowfat
07-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I've never seen CoolBook before, does the program run all the time in the dock? Or just does Save set the settings then quit? Very interesting little program. I've used such programs for PC laptops, but they were all pretty meh.

ineedaname
07-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Yea I'm using bootcamp. Didn't bother with parallels because my GF pretty much only uses windows on her macbook.

sky
07-12-2007, 05:14 PM
bahah.... quote coolbook.se:

CoolBook is a tool for the MacBook and MacBook Pro computers (except the new Santa Rosa MacBook Pro).

guess i have to wait then. i saw 80C loaded on the cpu on my new 2.4g 15" mbp already. and that wasn't even fully loaded.. istat pro is a nice little desktop widget to show all the temps etc... saw in on the apple site and got it. kinda cool, but doesn't help lower the temps

ugp
07-12-2007, 05:24 PM
I saw over 90C on my MacBook when I first got it...now full load is only 80C which I can deal with. That really is only when I am encoding a movie or something really.

ineedaname
07-12-2007, 07:47 PM
80C on full load is still pretty high. I guess my gf's is just a regular macbook and not the pro but it only gets about 66C at load (its the new 2.1ghz core2 duo macbook).

HOLY CRAP you're right RazzleUltra I just used NHC and reduced the 13x multi vcore to 1.11 and now the load temps don't go past 60C with orthos small ftt

bluep3ace
07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
this will be quite handy for my brother's new macbook (fan is almost always on full) and my mom's new lenovo (air coming out is very hot).

XS_Rich
07-13-2007, 02:44 AM
IIRC Coolbook lets you tweak the voltages / stability test through an application then saves the changes to a driver that loads at startup. There's nothing showing in the dock when it's running, but bringing the app up lets you fiddle whenever you want.

Very cool. On Windows PC's I tend to use RMClock which has more geek appeal (lots of graphs and settings to fiddle with), but I really like how simple Coolbook is.

ugp
07-13-2007, 04:09 AM
My MacBook is only a CoreDuo and for those 80C is well within range or normal temp for it. They can run at 100C and be within range according to Apple.

afireinside
07-13-2007, 11:28 AM
My MacBook is only a CoreDuo and for those 80C is well within range or normal temp for it. They can run at 100C and be within range according to Apple.

Intel*

Laptops run hot. My T5600 loaded 80-85c before I undervolted it to .95v. Now it loads low-mid 60s.

ineedaname
07-13-2007, 02:47 PM
I find with the dynamic clocking of the cpu its hard 2 test for stability cuz eventho the cpu is at 100% it keeps jumping back and forth between the multipliers.

bluep3ace
07-15-2007, 07:56 AM
i shut off the 12x multiplier on my lenovo and made the 11x at about 1.1v and now it's never over 60C, before it was 65C.
the hard drive runs a lot cooler now also.

zoob
07-18-2007, 09:41 PM
http://individual.utoronto.ca/bzhou/images/macbook-1.jpg
http://individual.utoronto.ca/bzhou/images/macbook-2.jpg

Too much thermal paste in my Core Duo 2.0 GHz.
I put on a thin layer of AS5 and so far it's doing well. Haven't really used it much, but it idles ~52 C and loads ~83 C, ambient is pretty high ~29 C.
The bottom of my Mac is still pretty hot. :rolleyes:

apt403
07-19-2007, 05:12 PM
The warranty on my Core Duo Macbook is out late next month, so after I get my keyboard replaced (a key is broken, and they just replace the entire keyboard), I'll tear it apart and redo the thermal paste. My 'book runs pretty hot too.

Anybody know of a good way to clean a black Macbook? I tried what I always use to clean everything I own, 91% isopropyl and a microfiber cleaning cloth, but it's still kinda dirty.

zoob
07-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Wash your hands, wipe it with isopropyl, then before it's dry wipe it with your hand to smudge away the rest of the residue. I did that after I took mine apart and all of the streaks from the alcohol went away.

Or you can use LCD screen cleaner. I had some that came with my Dell LCDs and they work very well on the MacBook body.

ineedaname
07-21-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm not quite sure what part of your macbook is dirty but you could always get one of those silicon keyboard covers.