PDA

View Full Version : Controller buttons work in some games, not others

Soulburner
07-08-2007, 05:42 PM
I am having a really wierd issue with my PS2 controller.

Lately, playing Final Fantasy X, my L2 and R2 buttons only work in some menus, and not others where they did before. I can use them to page down in some menus but not others (where they worked before). Also directional inputs from the pad or the joystick sometimes don't respond and require several presses. This is also menu specific, it only does it in certain ones and never in others. Only affects Final Fantasy X.

In Grand Theft Auto games, the joystick is reversed. Up is down and down is up. Only affects games in the Grand Theft Auto series.

Bully won't respond on some menus with the X button. This causes you to become stuck, right from the beginning of the game. Kingdom Hearts had a similar problem.

Other games are fine and all buttons work like they should. I don't know why this is game specific and its one of the wierdest problems I have seen. Could the PS2 controller port be faulty?

The only other thing I can think of is different revisions of the controller itself...just like over time Sony has made different revisions of the console (I have a revision 7, bought mid-2003). Some of these games were out near the beginning of the console's life though so its probably just a dying controller. Still doesn't explain the reversed joystick in GTA games though, and why everything else works fine. Popped in Resident Evil 4, SSX: On Tour, they work fine.