PDA

View Full Version : C++ Reading Recomendations

comment
07-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Any recommendations on C++ books, for a rookie?

nn_step
07-08-2007, 04:17 PM
C++ Primer (4th Edition) - Stanley B Lippman, Josee Lajoie and Barbara Moo (first suggestion)
The C++ Programming Language (3rd Edition) - Bjarne Stroustrap
C++ Primer Plus (5th Edition) - Stephen Prata
Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library - Scott Meyers
Advanced C++ Programming Styles and Idioms - James O Coplien (more advanced material)
Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (3rd edition) - Scott Meyers
More Effective C++: 35 New Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (2nd edition) - Scoot Meyers
C: A Reference Manual (5th Edition) - Harbinson and Steele
The Standard C Library - P J Plauger
The C Programming Language, 2nd Edition - Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M Ritchie

comment
07-08-2007, 07:31 PM
C++ Primer (4th Edition) - Stanley B Lippman, Josee Lajoie and Barbara Moo (first suggestion)
The C++ Programming Language (3rd Edition) - Bjarne Stroustrap
C++ Primer Plus (5th Edition) - Stephen Prata
Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library - Scott Meyers
Advanced C++ Programming Styles and Idioms - James O Coplien (more advanced material)
Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (3rd edition) - Scott Meyers
More Effective C++: 35 New Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (2nd edition) - Scoot Meyers
C: A Reference Manual (5th Edition) - Harbinson and Steele
The Standard C Library - P J Plauger
The C Programming Language, 2nd Edition - Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M RitchieThanks a lot nn. Should be enough to keep me going for an hour or two.

Morais
07-19-2007, 03:50 AM
At this moment im reading Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours, From Jesse Liberty. Its a little old, but very understandable for begginers.

comment
07-19-2007, 08:26 AM
At this moment im reading Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours, From Jesse Liberty. Its a little old, but very understandable for begginers.Thanks, Morais. I'll give it a look.

uOpt
07-19-2007, 08:42 AM
All that Scott Meyers stuff is must-read, along with Marshall's FAQs.

Don't forget "Effective STL".

And "Multi-paradigm programming in C++" by Coplien so that your brain doesn't get fried by that object-oriented nonsense :)

comment
07-19-2007, 08:58 AM
All that Scott Meyers stuff is must-read, along with Marshall's FAQs.

Don't forget "Effective STL".

And "Multi-paradigm programming in C++" by Coplien so that your brain doesn't get fried by that object-oriented nonsense :)Note taken. Thanks, uOpt!

Frisch
07-20-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm sure you know nn_step, but just to be sure .
The name of the designer of C++ is spelled Bjarne Stroustrup

Here's a link to his homepage Bjarne Stroustrup (http://www.research.att.com/~bs/)

comment
07-21-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm sure you know nn_step, but just to be sure .
The name of the designer of C++ is spelled Bjarne Stroustrup

Here's a link to his homepage Bjarne Stroustrup (http://www.research.att.com/~bs/)I figured that out. Thanks anyways, Frisch.

Mondoman
07-22-2007, 10:24 PM
I found Stroustrup's D&E (Design and Evolution of C++) really interesting. Wait until after you have a feel for the mechanics of the language, though.

justin_c
08-02-2007, 10:10 PM
i shall acquire a copy of stroupstrup`s book, alot of people have said alot of good things about that hardcover one (C++).

Section8
08-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Most C++ books are basically just used as references. One of the best ones I have found and seem to fall back on is "The Complete Reference C++ Fourth Edition" By Herbert Schildt. I pull it out when I need to look up certain things like what kind of vector I need to use out of the STL for the code I am writing at the time. Comes in handy. I can't imagine trying to actually read one of these C++ books from cover to cover...Ouch

nn_step
08-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Most C++ books are basically just used as references. One of the best ones I have found and seem to fall back on is "The Complete Reference C++ Fourth Edition" By Herbert Schildt. I pull it out when I need to look up certain things like what kind of vector I need to use out of the STL for the code I am writing at the time. Comes in handy. I can't imagine trying to actually read one of these C++ books from cover to cover...Ouch

might I suggest you read Write great code http://writegreatcode.com/
it is worth the time required to read through it.

EvlUndrWareNome
08-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Im trying to learn C++ to get a jump on my sophmore year classes. I am LOVING Sam's teach yourself C++ in 30 days. Great day by day lessons and quizes. I like it :)

comment
08-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Keep the advice coming... Thanks a lot!

Gimmpy224
08-15-2007, 12:33 AM
At this moment im reading Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours, From Jesse Liberty. Its a little old, but very understandable for begginers.

this was my first primer, I read it when I was 11 and got pretty good at c++ (im currently 18 ;) ), some of the material in it is off and the code wont work on VC++ 6 and up, but most of it is fixed rather simply ;).

Gimmpy224
08-15-2007, 12:35 AM
and as a side note, every sams book i picked up i hated with a passion. most of the sams editions don't go very in depth for a primer. thats just my experience with them.

uOpt
08-15-2007, 01:41 PM
OK, let me put it like this:

If you are into "XXX in YYY days" style of learning - C++ is not for you.

Yes, you can write programs after YYY days of learning C++. No, they won't be good. No, they won't use any of the advantages of C++ (but you have all the disadvantages).

comment
08-15-2007, 07:30 PM
OK, let me put it like this:

If you are into "XXX in YYY days" style of learning - C++ is not for you.

Yes, you can write programs after YYY days of learning C++. No, they won't be good. No, they won't use any of the advantages of C++ (but you have all the disadvantages).Well I guess that leaves out C++ for Dummies :lol2:

nn_step
08-15-2007, 07:33 PM
one additional book for people who want some pointers in C
Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets
by Peter van der Linden

uOpt
08-16-2007, 07:34 AM
one additional book for people who want some pointers in C
Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets
by Peter van der Linden

Oh, yes, highly seconded.

Forget about the fact that it is about C. Everything in there applies to C++. It explains the machinery behind your language and what you can do and not do to stay fast. Also helpful knowledge for debugging.