PDA

View Full Version : Component recommendations for 1st WC setup

miochza
07-07-2007, 04:08 PM
With the price cuts coming, I'm thinking about adding a Q6600 into my system. I'd also like to overclock, and considering the increased heat WC is an option. At the moment, the Q6600 is all I'll need to cool, I only have a 7600GT for a little while. I will be getting an 8800GTX when they drop down a bit (probably with 8900s), so I will need that in the future. I will never SLI. So I need potential cooling for CPU + 1 GFX card. Will a PA 120.2 suffice? I have a Thermaltake Armor and I'd like to have a completely internal WC setup (maybe minus the res).

Also, I will have to move my PC mutliple times over the course of the year (school + back), is it safe to move (I'm thinking you'd drain the loop before moving)?

ranker
07-07-2007, 04:44 PM
With the price cuts coming, I'm thinking about adding a Q6600 into my system. I'd also like to overclock, and considering the increased heat WC is an option. At the moment, the Q6600 is all I'll need to cool, I only have a 7600GT for a little while. I will be getting an 8800GTX when they drop down a bit (probably with 8900s), so I will need that in the future. I will never SLI. So I need potential cooling for CPU + 1 GFX card. Will a PA 120.2 suffice? I have a Thermaltake Armor and I'd like to have a completely internal WC setup (maybe minus the res).

Also, I will have to move my PC mutliple times over the course of the year (school + back), is it safe to move (I'm thinking you'd drain the loop before moving)?

I had a thermaltake armor build prior to retiring it after moving the components into my home office u2-ufo. You'll be able use the PA120.2 in the front with some slight modding by filing/dremeling down some of rails on the side. You'll have to remove the bottom HD cage and the useless tool box.
The MCR220 and 320 will fit in the front as well. With a 220, you'll most likely have about 5 bay devices available. With a 320, you'll have 3 bay drives open.

Anyhow, GTX is best for the quad and I'd throw an MCW60 in the loop for your video card. It should work for your 7600GT (I'd examine the compatibility chart as there are a few of that class that aren't) and later for your 8800 when you upgrade.

SoulsCollective
07-07-2007, 05:01 PM
We need one more piece of crucial info - what sort of fans will you be using?

Assuming mid-CFM (ie.40-60), a 120.2 won't handle a heavily OC'd quad and an 8800GTX and give you decent temps. Go for at least a .3, possibly even multiple rads.

And assuming everything is sealed up tight, there's no need to drain your system before moving it. I drag mine to and from LANs several times a month; no worries.

miochza
07-07-2007, 07:18 PM
I had a thermaltake armor build prior to retiring it after moving the components into my home office u2-ufo. You'll be able use the PA120.2 in the front with some slight modding by filing/dremeling down some of rails on the side. You'll have to remove the bottom HD cage and the useless tool box.
The MCR220 and 320 will fit in the front as well. With a 220, you'll most likely have about 5 bay devices available. With a 320, you'll have 3 bay drives open.

Anyhow, GTX is best for the quad and I'd throw an MCW60 in the loop for your video card. It should work for your 7600GT (I'd examine the compatibility chart as there are a few of that class that aren't) and later for your 8800 when you upgrade.

You are sure about the 3 drive bays for the MCR320? I only have one optical, one fan controller, and the Armor power button and LED. So I only technically need 3 drive bays (or 2 if I consolidate the LED bay and the 3.25" fan controller). If that's the case then Ill spring for the MCR320, havent seen a front mount with it anywhere yet. As far as the GTX goes, I was gonna go for a Fuzion, but if you think the GTX will be better, I'll go with that.

We need one more piece of crucial info - what sort of fans will you be using?

Assuming mid-CFM (ie.40-60), a 120.2 won't handle a heavily OC'd quad and an 8800GTX and give you decent temps. Go for at least a .3, possibly even multiple rads.

And assuming everything is sealed up tight, there's no need to drain your system before moving it. I drag mine to and from LANs several times a month; no worries.

Everyone I have talked to as recommended mid speed Yate Loons. But I could go high CFM if I need to since I don't really care about sound, my PC ATM is really loud anyways.

sick_g4m3r
07-07-2007, 07:19 PM
IMO MCR320 and YL high speed FTW

ranker
07-07-2007, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=miochza;2296059]You are sure about the 3 drive bays for the MCR320? I only have one optical, one fan controller, and the Armor power button and LED. So I only technically need 3 drive bays (or 2 if I consolidate the LED bay and the 3.25" fan controller). If that's the case then Ill spring for the MCR320, havent seen a front mount with it anywhere yet. As far as the GTX goes, I was gonna go for a Fuzion, but if you think the GTX will be better, I'll go with that.
QUOTE]

If you remove the bottom HD cage, the speaker and the useless toolbox, then yes, you should have 3 bays available. However, my bottom most bay device at that time was an inverted/modded sunbeam rheobus so it might techinically be something like 2.75 bays. You'll have 2 bays for sure.

coolrmaster
07-07-2007, 11:41 PM
nothing wrong with the fuzion, especially with multiple components in a loop

also, unless you wear ear plugs or are hard of hearing i would recommend medium to low cfm fans, ie yate loon for best performance / price ratio

as far as free case bays let's see: the armor has eleven total

the mcr320 is 16 inches long / 1.666 inches per bay equals 9.6 bays used for radiator

at best you will have 2 bays free, at worst only one by my (simple) calculation

miochza
07-08-2007, 06:07 AM
CPU: D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock - 1/2"
Fans: 3 X 120mm Yate Loon D12SM-12 Case Fan - Black (70.5 CFM, 33 dBA)
Pump: Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC Pump
Resevoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Hi-Flo Reservoir
Tubing: 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing
Radiator: Swiftech MCR-320 "Quiet Power" Series Radiator - Black
Additives:
UV Reactive Pentosin G11 Coolant Additive (Blue) - 4oz.
Petra'sTech "PT_Nuke" Concentrated Biocide(10mL)
ETC: Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamp (Wide Band w/Liner)

Is this okay? So far I can get everything from Petra. Is there anything I missed, or some size values that don't match up?

nibble
07-08-2007, 07:30 AM
CPU: D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock - 1/2"
Fans: 3 X 120mm Yate Loon D12SM-12 Case Fan - Black (70.5 CFM, 33 dBA)
Pump: Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC Pump
Resevoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Hi-Flo Reservoir
Tubing: 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Tygon R-3603 Laboratory-Grade Tubing
Radiator: Swiftech MCR-320 "Quiet Power" Series Radiator - Black
ETC: Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamp (Wide Band w/Liner)

Is this okay? So far I can get everything from Petra. Is there anything I missed, or some size values that don't match up?
Looks great, I'd consider using 7/16" ID tubing, I much prefer it over 1/2"-3/4". I'd buy Masterkleer in that case though as Tygon is a little too soft for a 3/16" wall. Just noticed you don't have any additives, pt_nuke and Pentosin would be my recommendation.

miochza
07-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. Changed to masterkleer 7/16" and both of those additives. Someone told me on [H] that the Micro-res would be too small, and would hinder performance. Do you guys have thoughts on this?

nibble
07-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. Changed to masterkleer 7/16" and both of those additives. Someone told me on [H] that the Micro-res would be too small, and would hinder performance. Do you guys have thoughts on this?

And exactly what did they base that on? It won't, the microres is one of the best res' out there; bleeds fast, looks pretty nice and it's cheap.