PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused

Celeron Gamer
07-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Why does the Xbox360 HD-DVD player is a seperate optical unit? The Xbox360 is HD-DVD capable aswell, being they RUN games off HD-DVD. If it maybe too early to release the technology back then I understand, but why don't they just make a apparatus with HD-DVD controller, transcoder and utilize xbox's own optical hardware and save money?

Although it is Windows Vista, and OSX 10.3 compatible (which is nice), it is unnecessary spending on the part of xbox360 owners who want to watch movies.

yaddam205
07-07-2007, 09:29 PM
The 360 only has a DVD drive and it cannot read HD-DVD without the add-on player, Nor will we see any HD-DVD games in the future.

Microsoft has been a driving force behind the new HD-DVD next-generation optical disc format. But the Xbox manufacturer surprised many when it chose to package the Xbox 360 with a normal DVD drive rather than an HD-DVD drive, especially because Sony has announced that the PlayStation 3 will feature Blu-ray, a competing format.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141930.html

Celeron Gamer
07-07-2007, 10:48 PM
yaddam205;2296239']The 360 only has a DVD drive and it cannot read HD-DVD without the add-on player, Nor will we see any HD-DVD games in the future.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141930.html

WTFFFFFFFFFF, I can't believe I missed that, HOL-EEEE SS**** all the current xbox360 games are on DVD?

jspace
07-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Yes, hence why they had to release the HD-DVD addon. Micro$soft has confirmed they wont release an internal drive. (Then again, they also said they wouldn't add HDMI to the console.:rolleyes:)

Lestat
07-09-2007, 09:53 AM
yes the 360 is not a HD DVD drive inside of it, its only a standard DVD drive with a special firmware, etc etc.

you can actually buy a samsung drive and flash it with the hacked firmware and make it read the game disks in windows.

they didnt put in the hd dvd drive for cost factors i believe.

but for 200 bucks, your never gunna find another hd dvd drive cheaper.
not atleast for another 6-8 months.