PDA

View Full Version : Any idea how to mount the Apogee GT without springs?

Hutch
07-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Hey guys,

So I've had my Swiftech 120 premium W/C kit lieing around for almost a year now and decided that I wanted to try the apogee on my E6400. I've gone through every box of computer parts I have looking for all of the mounting hardware to it and I've got everything except 2 of the 4 springs. I installed it on my spare board with either my cedarmill 631 or PD 805 in it and I'm not really sure how it's going to work with only 2 springs. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use in replacement of them? I've got everything that came with the block except 2 of the springs for LGA775. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Hutch

ranker
07-07-2007, 01:47 AM
Hey guys,

So I've had my Swiftech 120 premium W/C kit lieing around for almost a year now and decided that I wanted to try the apogee on my E6400. I've gone through every box of computer parts I have looking for all of the mounting hardware to it and I've got everything except 2 of the 4 springs. I installed it on my spare board with either my cedarmill 631 or PD 805 in it and I'm not really sure how it's going to work with only 2 springs. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use in replacement of them? I've got everything that came with the block except 2 of the springs for LGA775. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Hutch

You can either hardmount it yourself and carefully gauge how much mounting pressure you'll need, or you can get the backplate/hardmount kit from Swiftech itself.

Hardass
07-07-2007, 02:00 AM
I had the same problem at one time. I went to the local hardware and tried to find 4 springs that had as near to the original coil ratio as possible, since I could not find a perfect match I decided to get all new hardware. I bought 4 new bolts, I decided to get longer ones as the springs I found were just a bit longer then the stock ones. I bought all new washers, since I could not find paper washers I got thin plastic ones. I then bought thumb screws so I would not have to use the stock acorn nuts. This way I could tighten as much as I felt I needed to. You could also use wing nuts or even regular nuts. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hutch
07-07-2007, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciate it. I just tried putting two of the shortest (spacers I think they are) in place of the 2 springs and used the acorn nuts on top. Seems to be a perfect fit and the spacers seem like they'll work kind of like the springs (they seem to have a little 'give' to them.)

I've got a ton of nuts and other types of mounting hardware from several different coolers (Hyper 8+, some other giant air tower, nautilus 500 mounting blocks ect.)

The reason I wanna use the Apogee now is because I think the mounting of the nautilus block is way off and it's not really hardmounted, it uses the wannabe intel stock cooler retention things but they are a lot weaker and don't lock down.

SiGfever
07-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Email Swiftech and see if they can help you out.