07-06-2007, 05:54 PM
http://www.techpowerup.com/img/07-05-14/R600-Top-Original.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/07-05-14/R600-Back-Original.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?31128

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4408/wakuekartefm9vk0gu9.jpg

http://www.aqua-computer-systeme.de/shop-index.htm

Jimmer411
07-06-2007, 05:56 PM
First thing I would have to do is take a dremel to that DD block and polish it... ugh its horrid looking

SoulsCollective
07-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Monolithic = no. Just stick with the MCW-60.

santiagodraco
07-06-2007, 06:20 PM
You're missing the Koolance block (vid-290) /duck /run.

I'm running one now on a CPU > GPU > NB loop (I won't get into the other components quite yet - first post and don't want to get castrated ;D).

Room ambient around 23c.

Idle temps around 36c (edit: 34c idle at 22c room temp). Overclocked to 850/900 (max CCC will allow).

Full load temps (oblivion 1920x1080 4aa, 16af and HDR) at 50-52c.

http://www.koolance.com/shop/images/more/vid-290_p0.jpg

Overally I think the block is amazing considering how hot this card runs with stock cooling AND considering it's a full coverage block. Looks very good as well. The new Koolance blocks aren't that bad. I think this GPU block is the best they've put out however. I'm testing their new CPU block (330) and am not quite sure of the results, but that might be due to user error... the judge is still out.

Edit: Re-ran the tests with the block this evening. The house is a steady 22c.
Idle: 34 (reading from Everest beta with 2900 support). GPU ambient 44c (not sure if this is memory or not).
Load: 46c max. Ran both the ATI automated overclocking util (this temp was with test at 850mhz overclocked) and also running Oblivion for 15 mins or so at above settings.
Keep in mind this in on a loop with a CPU and NB cooler. E6600 overclocked to 3244mhz.

Now to figure out why I'm seeing strange CPU core temps... higher than I like, I think.

migueld
07-06-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm running one now on a CPU > GPU > NB loop (I won't get into the other components quite yet - first post and don't want to get castrated ;D).

LOL good take, don't worry though, you got a friend here ;)

Room ambient around 23c.

Idle temps around 36c. Overclocked to 850/900 (max CCC will allow).

http://www.koolance.com/shop/images/more/vid-290_p0.jpg

Overally I think the block is amazing considering how hot this card runs with stock cooling AND considering it's a full coverage block. Looks very good as well. The new Koolance blocks aren't that bad. I think this GPU block is the best they've put out however. I'm testing their new CPU block (330) and am not quite sure of the results, but that might be due to user error... the judge is still out.

Can you compare the 330 with any other blocks for reference? Please post more results and pictures as well. :up:

Termite617
07-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Idle temps around 36c. Overclocked to 850/900 (max CCC will allow).

Not that I've liked Koolance up to this point, but I'd say that block has some potential. Wonder what the inside is like.

ColonelCain
07-06-2007, 07:10 PM
The danger den is kinda old news. IMHO, that is a waste of copper. Simple, but wasteful.
EK blocks are the best full-coverage blocks IMO. :D

Termite617
07-06-2007, 07:13 PM
The only EK block for the R600 atm doesn't support crossfire apparently. :(

Agent11
07-06-2007, 07:15 PM
If you get that DD block, take some temps before you polish it and after.. It looks like it has some texture to it as sold, which would theoretically increase surface area/performance.

santiagodraco
07-06-2007, 07:28 PM
It's funny you ask that (comparing that is). I've been reading the forums here over the last few days (registered but it took several days to get mod activated) and thinking about the "politics" of this stuff. In other words, I see a real need for an overall unbiased "comprehensive" comparison of products.

Anyway...time for some history.

I'm fairly new to the WC thing, and I took two approaches prior to where I am today. First I looked around, found some reviews, and ended up going with a kit from Koolance (I can hear folks cringing already!). I have pretty good cash flow and was looking for something that both worked and looked good, I went with the Koolance INX kit (the one with the .3 external rad and internal bay res/pump). I knew about all the custom diy stuff, a bit, but frankly, all the parts were a bit too rough aesthetically for what I was looking for. You have to admit, if you want slick, Koolance is about the only game in town. Setting performance questions aside.

That first setup ran CPU and 2 GPU's. I don't remember numbers, and this was pre-C2D days, but I remember that the 1900xtx x2 (crossfire) ran much much cooler than with the stock fan. I was very happy with the results.

I then recently built a complete home theater setup. HTPC case, 46" Samsung LCD (4665f), etc etc. Long and short of it my priorities changed. Now the goal was silent and compact. Here's where I really took a novice mistake, I bought a Zalman reserator 2. To be honest the kit worked fairly well for what it was. Ie, it allowed me to eliminate the GPU and CPU fans and turn down the internal system fans. I had my "silent" setup. Unfortunately the GPU block was GPU only so I was still dealing with heat from the chips and their sinks. This meant internal heat buildup from those, from the NB and from the 5 SATA drives in the case :) The case I have is the Zalman 160XT. This will give you an idea (btw this case is amazingly well designed). So the Zalman setup had to go.

Now to answer your question. I have 2 other GPU blocks to compare to, the Zalman block and the older Koolance Vid-205. The Zalman on my 2900xt idled at around 43-44 and the Koolance on the 1900xtx ran very well (but I don't remember temps). I'm thinking I could full load it at around 55c.

Overall:

Zalman: Flow sucked ass. Temps were ok but only slightly better than the best fan solution. I only found this out after installing the Koolance block. Temps dropped dramatically and flow jumped quite a bit. I'm playing around with the Koolance TPM board and flow meter.
Koolance on 1900xtx: Very good but I was too much a novice to really test and track the results, so I have no hard data.

So it was time to move on. I've educated myself a lot more since then. I'm aware of all the things discussed on the forums, the "best of breed" parts, techniques, etc. However I'm a bit baffled at the animosity towards Koolance (and to some extent other "kit" companies) especially considering their improved product lines and the fact that, without a doubt, they put water cooling on the map and helped shape the market.

So I'm on a mission. I'm going to go 100% new Koolance parts (actually just about done) and see what I end up with. Then I'm going to waste some money and buy a couple of competitive CPU blocks and radiator(s) and compare. I don't have the patience for testing this stuff properly so I'm going to limit the scope to assuring that:

1. Room temperature is constant (means I might have to wait for after summer here in Texas, room temp varies too much)
2. The machine temps are stable when compared
3. I don't :banana::banana::banana::banana: up the block installs :)

Sorry for the long winded post, but from a comparison test perspective I'm with ya. However as it applies to GPU's I'm probably not going to futz around with them because it's a bit more expensive and I don't want to have to use heat sinks on memory in order to compare full coverage vs. GPU only.

Consider this my forum hello and confession :)

SNiiPE_DoGG
07-06-2007, 07:29 PM
the dd has tested to have great performance

Anemone
07-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Welcome :)

santiagodraco
07-06-2007, 07:58 PM
LOL good take, don't worry though, you got a friend here ;)

Can you compare the 330 with any other blocks for reference? Please post more results and pictures as well. :up:

Bah noticed you said compare the 330 with other blocks (not the Vid-290).

Right now I only have the Zalman block that came with the Reserator 2 and a Koolance CPU-310.

I'm debating ordering a Fuzion and one other block next week to compare. If you were to compare two blocks which would they be? CPU wise that is.

Termite617
07-06-2007, 08:41 PM
The CPU blocks have been compared to death, do the GPU's :up:

road-runner
07-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Are the DD blocks out? I can not seem to find them on there website?

YugenM
07-06-2007, 08:59 PM
HD2900XT and an AquaComputer R600 block plz k thx

If only I had the money...

santiagodraco
07-06-2007, 09:09 PM
The CPU blocks have been compared to death, do the GPU's :up:

Actually that would be easier since I wouldn't have to pull the MB to run the tests. That is assuming that the different CPU blocks have different mounting systems (maybe not...).

Maybe I will test the GPU blocks. It's a bit more expensive though =p. And I'd probably only test full coverage... I've already removed 1 set of sinks from the memory on my card and don't want to do another!

santiagodraco
07-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Are the DD blocks out? I can not seem to find them on there website?

They are not out yet. Which is why I question how anyone can claim they've tested to have great performance. I can't find any performance data about it anywhere on the web.

Termite617
07-06-2007, 10:07 PM
If we`re going to list all the 2900 waterblocks I guess this should be included

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Cooler/TMG/CL-W0150/cl-w0150.asp

If you can even call it a waterblock.

But afaik EK and Koolance are the only ones with blocks currently out. Koolance`s being the only crossfire approved one.

migueld
07-06-2007, 10:29 PM
santiagodraco, I'm looking forward for your results on your Koolance loop. Be sure to post details on tubing size, components, noise, fan type/speeds and flow, if you can.

Also let me suggest that you try the 330 and vid-290 independently of each other if possible. For your "XS-approved-loop" I suggest a DDC with a custom top plus a MCR320 radiator with yate loon fans and 3/8" fittings/tubing. Koolance sells the DDC and they also have an interesting custom top. Or, get the DDC from, say, xoxide.com: MCP350 9w and the alphacool custom top. The DDC 9w is better for silence than the 18w.

As for CPU blocks, deciding between the Fuzion and Swiftech's GTX is tough, but both are perfectly fine for use as reference for your 330. The biggest downside about the Fuzion is the fact that the barbs are too close to each other and some fittings such as 3/8 compression fittings don't fit. Jab-tech.com has the best price for both the Fuzion or GTX and also for the MCR320 (or MCR220).

santiagodraco
07-06-2007, 11:15 PM
santiagodraco, I'm looking forward for your results on your Koolance loop. Be sure to post details on tubing size, components, noise, fan type/speeds and flow, if you can.

Also let me suggest that you try the 330 and vid-290 independently of each other if possible. For your "XS-approved-loop" I suggest a DDC with a custom top plus a MCR320 radiator with yate loon fans and 3/8" fittings/tubing. Koolance sells the DDC and they also have an interesting custom top. Or, get the DDC from, say, xoxide.com: MCP350 9w and the alphacool custom top. The DDC 9w is better for silence than the 18w.

As for CPU blocks, deciding between the Fuzion and Swiftech's GTX is tough, but both are perfectly fine for use as reference for your 330. The biggest downside about the Fuzion is the fact that the barbs are too close to each other and some fittings such as 3/8 compression fittings don't fit. Jab-tech.com has the best price for both the Fuzion or GTX and also for the MCR320 (or MCR220).

I'm going to post some pics of the PC here (I don't want to derail this thread too much though).

As for comparison tests and separate loops, I'm probably going to stick with the single loop for now. Mainly because this is my home theater box in the living room. I'm striving for more with less (including less noise!) atm. I'll upload shots of the pc interior tonight and once I have time to clean up the exterior a bit I'll upload those as well. Probably in the appropriate thread :)

Right now the setup is incomplete. I still need to remove some excess tubing length and replace some nozzles (I have angled where I don't want/need them for example). I also want to shorten up the tubing inside the case and relace some tubing on the outside (two lengths have those springs INSIDE the tubing that shipped with the older Koolance INX kit - it's gotta be killing flow). Mainly things that need done to improve flow rate.

Gallery of the PC interior (http://skeetersspot.smugmug.com/gallery/3112703#170342475)

A couple shots:

http://skeetersspot.smugmug.com/photos/170342497-M.jpg

http://skeetersspot.smugmug.com/photos/170342484-M.jpg

http://skeetersspot.smugmug.com/photos/170342513-M.jpg

SiGfever
07-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Only EK makes a decent looking block. IMO

santiagodraco
07-07-2007, 07:55 AM
The EK blocks are a bit too big and bulky for my tastes. They do look good, but I think the Koolance looks better. It also keeps the card to 1 slot size for essentially the same performance (based on the gentleman who designed the EK's posted temps).

Mekrel
07-07-2007, 08:01 AM
I have lost faith in DangerDen.

Products never in stock because they chose to supply blocks to AIB for the 8800 series cards, when they are they are over priced and poor quality (the 8800 full cover).

The maze for chipset is a good block, and doesn't really need any innovative new designs but they have not done anything innovative with CPU waterblocks for a long time.

They also don't give two hoots about compatibility, leaving their Maze5 and Maze4 blocks incompatible with the 8800 series.

ranker
07-07-2007, 01:46 PM
I have lost faith in DangerDen.

Products never in stock because they chose to supply blocks to AIB for the 8800 series cards, when they are they are over priced and poor quality (the 8800 full cover).

The maze for chipset is a good block, and doesn't really need any innovative new designs but they have not done anything innovative with CPU waterblocks for a long time.

They also don't give two hoots about compatibility, leaving their Maze5 and Maze4 blocks incompatible with the 8800 series.

They were Swiftech's biggest competitor in the performance market for quite some time. However, the 8800 blocks offer such a huge profit margin that they've neglected pretty much everything else. Most people charge anywhere between $100 to $130 for a full cover block when the manufacturing costs are only slightly more than a GPU only block. They haven't updated their mounting kits nor put out a competitive CPU block in quite some time. My friends in the industry told me that they're basically turning their business towards distribution for resellers: They're the only legit distributors, resellers in the US for HWLabs, Thermochill, etc.

RickCain
07-07-2007, 02:29 PM
My friends in the industry told me that they're basically turning their business towards distribution for resellers: They're the only legit distributors, resellers in the US for HWLabs, Thermochill, etc.

Yeah, DD was very smart and lucky to get the distribution rights with Thermochill and HWLabs. Bothered me so much I ended up buying my Thermochill goods direct from their UK online store and didn't care that it cost more.

ranker
07-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, DD was very smart and lucky to get the distribution rights with Thermochill and HWLabs. Bothered me so much I ended up buying my Thermochill goods direct from their UK online store and didn't care that it cost more.

Really? I found out that it comes a bit cheaper (by like $5) to import directly from UK but you'll have to deal with a longer shipping time.

Anyhow, my distrust from DD stems from my bad experience with their 8800 FC's and my last transaction for a radiator. My last purchase from DD was for my current PA160 in my Horizon. I'll never purchase from them again. It wasn't packed well at all and I could literally count 7 peanuts in the entire box. The two shrouds (I bought one extra) took the brunt of the beating to the point where they were so warped it wouldn't even fit even after using various pliers to try to reshape it.

You're right about them being smart in securing the distribution rights. I think it's one of the few reasons they remain a player in the industry. In some cases it makes sense since they'll no longer have to deal with R&D, tech support, and other costs.

_G_
07-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Really? I found out that it comes a bit cheaper (by like $5) to import directly from UK but you'll have to deal with a longer shipping time.

exchange rate was probably less favorable when he made his purchase.