PDA

View Full Version : 2 Tec

water_cooler 20
06-24-2003, 03:55 PM
i'm thinking of putting tecs on my GPU and NB would 80 watt TECs be a good choice and would they work on the same water loop and would my trupower 480 beable to power them both also the water loop will not touch the CPU I will have my phase-change cooler do that

zippyc
06-24-2003, 04:51 PM
I personally found no overclocking difference in running 5C water past my NB vs. 30C water.

The 80W on the NB may be an overkill, if you use it insulate heavily and be sure to insulate the back of the board well too (against condensation).

It will work though.

And check ebay for pelts, I just picked up one 72W for $2.75 and another for $5.25.

Major
06-24-2003, 04:51 PM
IMO a 80w pelt on the nb is more than enough, on your radeon 9800 the 80w is just enough ! hehe

I plan on doing the same thing with my nb and use a MCW50T on it. I'm using one now on my R9800pro at 1.89v and it does a good job, but a larger pelt shure wouldn't hurt.

A 80w pelt draws about 7A @ 12v, I dont know what the 12v specs are for the tp 480 but it would need to be in the neighborhood of 25-30A minimum to power both pelts and your mb, drives, fans, etc. Swiftech recondmends a PSU capable of 20A sustainded on the 12v rail for the use of a MCW50T

zippyc
06-24-2003, 04:54 PM
I've posted this a thousand times because I thought it was a great deal...a PS that will give you 25A on the 12V rail for $12.00, for that kind of money I see no reason for you to overload your antec supply with two pelts plus an overclocked system....

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14485

Major
06-24-2003, 04:55 PM
From the Swiftech web site:

The thermoelectric module pulls approximately 7.5A at 12 volts. When connecting the MCW50-T module to an existing power supply, users should verify their power supply current rating for the+12 volts line. The total amount of current required for system integration will depend on the number of devices already connected to the power supply. A 20A rating should amply suffice in most standard applications such as: single CPU, CDRrom (1 or 2), Floppy, hard drive (1 or 2) and PCI devices.

zippyc
06-24-2003, 05:07 PM
And he is talking about powering two of those? There goes 15A on a supply that is rated for 22A on the 12V rail like the 480.

I don't know about you guys, but I would not feel comfortable powereing the rest of my overclocked system on the remaining 7A.

Just MHO.

water_cooler 20
06-24-2003, 06:19 PM
I guess I will go w/ the $12 PSU and would my WC system beable to keep up w/ the TECs

WC specs:
D-tek chipset cooler
DD R9xxx vid WB
Via 1300 pump
DD Heatercore

zippyc
06-24-2003, 06:38 PM
If the heater core is a big one with good air circulation, it will "work" in a loop with it cooling just the hot side of 2 x80 TEC's.

But for best performance you might consider getting a second radiator, as I have discovered that there is a direct correlation between the hot water temperature and the temps you see on your pelts. I personally use four big radiators but I am cooling 400+ watts of pelts (with another 140 on the way.)

And expect your water temps to go up because I'm betting the pelts will put out more heat than your CPU, Chipset, and GPU combined did (you still have to dissipate even MORE heat on your gpu cause u are at lower temps and you have added ~160W of heat from three pelts).

And if you have not made any modifications to your pump you might consider this for the VA1300 (although I have not done it as I don't have a VA anymore):

http://www.wc101.com/guides/ViaAqua/

Let us know how it works out!

water_cooler 20
06-24-2003, 07:03 PM
I think i might just use chilled water and my heater core this way if my chiller fails my heatercore will keep removing heat
Also would using a TEC get me to 500 on my vid cards core and past 200 fsb on my mobo

zippyc
06-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Overclocking results depend a lot on how well you can keep heat away from the respective chips, but just like processors Northbridge chipsets and video card GPU's can have different steppings with different overclocking ceilings.

And even in the same stepping groups some can outperform others for no obvious reason.

The 8rdas usually support 200FSB+ with the right memory and the right cooling on the NB. Somtimes it also requires a VDD mod too.

The stock NB cooler on my 8rda was the first thing to come off as soon as I got it.

Guess I'm not clear as to what you intend to do with your setup, but DO NOT put a radiator in a cold water loop, unless you want to heat your cool water back up to room temp! :-)

And if memory serves me correctly I've seen plenty 9800's that do 500 on phase change, but not sure about tec's. Again it depends on how cold your "hot " side of the pelts are. If it is 0C, I bet you could hit 500. Maybe someone that knows can step in here....

Tedinde
06-24-2003, 08:27 PM
I've posted this a thousand times because I thought it was a great deal...a PS that will give you 25A on the 12V rail for $12.00, for that kind of money I see no reason for you to overload your antec supply with two pelts plus an overclocked system....

Just to let you know, I've had 3 of these power supplies die in the last month in customers computer. I bought a case of 10 of them 3 months ago. Lightest PS in the world i think. next to a "deer" PS.

Chance it if you want. I wouldnt run over an 80 watter on them.

water_cooler 20
06-24-2003, 08:31 PM
oh so do u have any ideas on anther PSU

Tedinde
07-02-2003, 05:06 PM
I've been trying one of these PS on one of the powmax 400's for a week now with a TEC.

http://www.svc.com/psuvgn9.html

Stuck one of these on it, with a fan. SVC was selling them for $4.99 couple weeks ago, so i picked up a couple. You could just cut a hole and mount a fan though.

It is handling the 80 watt and cool to the touch, these things run hot just in a computer, Fan is weak in them. You could probably just put a good fan in it too.

I still would get a good stand alone PS, keep eyeing Ebay and FS/FT.

I picked up a used Pyramid 36 amp variable 5-17 V 3 years ago for $35 on ebay. thing must weight 45 pounds. Plus you can dial it in and back it off when your not running full blast.

Marci
07-03-2003, 09:13 AM
AFAIK, the DangerDen Maze3 Series GPU Block does NOT have enough base area to cover a pelt.... the pelt is exposed on 4 corners. The new Maze4 designed one however is big enough to take a 220w if u really wanted it to...