PDA

View Full Version : Teh Nubzorz Needs Some Help

Kaze06
07-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Firstly, I've read all the stickies, guides, and any threads that seem important :up: .

I've decided that for my first WC system, I want to kinda play it safe and go with one of the Petrastech WC Kits (Preferably the Basic Kit (http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecoba.html) if it can cool a Q6600 adequately. If not, the Elite Kit (http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecoel.html) will do). Now, I have a few questions before purchasing.

Firstly, will the Basic Kit be enough to cool a Q6600?

Secondly, is there anything else (additives, ties, etc.) I need to buy to go with the kit?

Any extra suggestions/help will be appreciated :).

Jimmer411
07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
The basic kit is enough to cool a Q6600 easy. I dunno about video card as well tho, depends on how high you overclock the Q6600.

Id just throw in some PT Nuke and whatever color additive you like. Im using orange prestone atm :D

Kaze06
07-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm not looking to WC my video card (yet ;)).

Also, I have a few more questions I should've asked.

What are the standard maintenance routines for a WC system and how often do they need to be performed?

Are there any hidden secrets or not-so-obvious problems I should watch out for?

I've read up on bleeding the system and such...exactly how often does that need to be done and how is it done?

One more thing...can someone give me a more in-depth explanation of how the barbs/tubes/clamps etc. all work? My presumption is that the tube goes over the barb which is a bit wider, and then you use a clamp (worm drive et al) to tighten it down. Could be wrong though.

Sorry for all the questions :P.

kevinbo03
07-05-2007, 05:27 PM

What are the standard maintenance routines for a WC system and how often do they need to be performed?

None really... Just check on it every once and while to check water level, Look for any algae. If you start to see any kind of gunk, Then you just bleed, clean and refill. If you use the proper additives, it wont be a problem.

I've read up on bleeding the system and such...exactly how often does that need to be done and how is it done?

Only has to be done when you Want to (Add a new part) / Need to (For reasons such as algae, good habit). I personally think it's a good idea to bleed and refill once every 6 months, Somewhat like a car's radiator fluid. Not that it has to be done, But it doesn't hurt.

How to bleed depends on your loop and the way it is mounted.

One more thing...can someone give me a more in-depth explanation of how the barbs/tubes/clamps etc. all work? My presumption is that the tube goes over the barb which is a bit wider, and then you use a clamp (worm drive et al) to tighten it down. Could be wrong though.

Thats pretty much how they work. I would suggest using 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs. It gets a better seal, And kinks a little less.

For the original question- Get the Elite Kit, Add a MicroRes (Re-tapped) And replace all the barbs with D-Tek HiFlow. (Don't worry abut the Fuzion, It already has them).

Also get PTNuke, For good measure.

If you want to add a small GPU, Get the MCW60 And the 320 Rad. If you want to add an 8800, I would suggest a second loop, Or possibly a dual radiator.

Keep us posted, And feel free to ask more questions.

[XC] leviathan18
07-05-2007, 05:49 PM
None really... Just check on it every once and while to check water level, Look for any algae. If you start to see any kind of gunk, Then you just bleed, clean and refill. If you use the proper additives, it wont be a problem.

Only has to be done when you Want to (Add a new part) / Need to (For reasons such as algae, good habit). I personally think it's a good idea to bleed and refill once every 6 months, Somewhat like a car's radiator fluid. Not that it has to be done, But it doesn't hurt.

How to bleed depends on your loop and the way it is mounted.

Thats pretty much how they work. I would suggest using 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs. It gets a better seal, And kinks a little less.

For the original question- Get the Elite Kit, Add a MicroRes (Re-tapped) And replace all the barbs with D-Tek HiFlow. (Don't worry abut the Fuzion, It already has them).

Also get PTNuke, For good measure.

If you want to add a small GPU, Get the MCW60 And the 320 Rad. If you want to add an 8800, I would suggest a second loop, Or possibly a dual radiator.

Keep us posted, And feel free to ask more questions.

and you should join wcg....

SiGfever
07-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Go this route...

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/1245/elitekitbk9.jpg

And go to a pet store and buy some Aquarium Algaecide or Petra's "PTNuke".

Kaze06
07-05-2007, 05:56 PM
I'd rather stick with the MCR220 because I can easily mount it in my Gigabyte Aurora :).

Also, any reason why I can't add the kit to my cart? o_O

Ashraf
07-05-2007, 05:57 PM
I'd rather stick with the MCR220 because I can easily mount it in my Gigabyte Aurora :).

Also, any reason why I can't add the kit to my cart? o_O

Maybe one of items is out of stock?

kevinbo03
07-05-2007, 06:03 PM
The DangerDen Fillport, It will be in stock soon:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2292067&postcount=6

leviathan18;2292322']and you should join wcg....

Planning to, Once I finish my current project, I'm going to get put the 2 478's in my basement, And get those setup with RealVNC. Then, I'm going to make the older 939 rig into a MATX portable PC; And have that docked and working (When it's not being used elsewhere).

Just got to get the power strips, Video Card, VNC License, MATX Case/cooling, One Hard Drive, And lots of Free time. :(

Kaze06
07-05-2007, 06:04 PM
I looked and apparently the fillport is out of stock >_>.

Edit: Doh. Tree'd.

YugenM
07-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Make sure you close the fillport before turning off the pump during the fill session, or it'll shoot up the fill line.

Found that out the hard way.