PDA

View Full Version : Peltier water chillers

AsWeThinkWeIs
07-02-2002, 08:09 AM
Ive seen peltier water chillers before where the water loop for your computer runs over the cold side of the pelts and a seperate loop cools the hot side of the pelts, but I had an idea, and I know I saw this somewhere...well similar to my idea, but anyways, could you machine a water block about 3 inches wide and 8 inches long, and put 3 or 4 small (like 100 watt'ish) pelts on the water block to cool the block and use HSF's to cool the hot side of the pelts.....so uhhh like hot water coming off CPU block...goes through radiator to get it cool, then goes through a peltier cooled block to get really cold, ad back through the cpu block...dunno if this would work, as soon as I get a job i think im gonna try it though.... any suggestions by anyone?

Also: I know POS 20 dollar HSFs are good enough to cool 72 watt peltiers because back in the day when TNT2 vid cards were the :banana::banana::banana::banana: I had a 72 watt pelt and a HSF of a p120 to cool the vid card...weeeee

Also #2: I was thinking about doing a phase change but umm..it seems REALLY expensive and complicated and icky and uhhhh I wanna do a few more H2O systems first =)

gone_fishin
07-02-2002, 07:38 PM
Here is a professional model to look at for industrial purposes.
Check it out here (http://www.sscooling.com/cleanstream_series.html)

OPPAINTER
07-02-2002, 08:03 PM
3 slot A water blocks, the middle is the cold block surounded by 6 pelts and 2 hot blocks :D

gone_fishin
07-02-2002, 08:13 PM
OPPAINTER, that looks like an excellent attempt, how did it do?
Also some longer ones that they claim to be affordable from the same site I posted earlier, click here (http://www.sscooling.com/LC_Cold_Plate.PDF)

OPPAINTER
07-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Did excellent :D -2-4c water temps.

OPPAINTER
07-02-2002, 08:28 PM
Inside

OPPAINTER
07-02-2002, 08:29 PM
Pelts

gone_fishin
07-02-2002, 08:42 PM
That's awesome. It took a while to absorb all that was in your photos;) Res or rad in behind on the floor, overall some pretty decent sized runs for the tubing, pot mods everywhere, insulation. How many power supplies did it take and did you need to run a seperate loop/pump somewhere not seen here to cool the outer two blocks on the chiller?

OPPAINTER
07-02-2002, 09:03 PM
I used 3 when I used it for straight chilled water. I then hooked up a 220 pelt to the cpu and was running 4 PSUs.

OPPAINTER
07-02-2002, 09:12 PM
The hot loop was closed running through 3 radiators, I had a pelt on my Graphic card and it was a seperate loop going through 1 radiator into the res. My 220pelt/cpu loop went from the res to the chiller to the block and to the Aquacoil then back to the res. :D

OPP

dmitriyaz
07-02-2002, 09:17 PM
yo OPP, how much do you pay for electricity a month?? :) :banana:

OPPAINTER
07-02-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by dmitriyaz
yo OPP, how much do you pay for electricity a month?? :) :banana:

To much :D

gone_fishin
07-02-2002, 09:21 PM
Procooling has an article up that leads people to believe it can't be done:rolleyes: You should put a little article up somewhere (or have you already?)

OPPAINTER
07-02-2002, 09:22 PM
What can't be done?? :D

OPP

OPPAINTER
07-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Player0 has a pelt/chiller rig all setup in a cube case, check it out.

http://www.liquidninjas.com/gallery/p0_gamecube?&page=1

OPP

mackanz
07-03-2002, 11:26 PM
OPP,

Are those ramsinks glued on to the memsticks and the g4 mems?

Any way to get those of without leaving traces?
I´ll have my Danger den setup on the way an i want to do a similar thing but i dont want to ruin the warranty if i can avoid.

Mac

KnightElite
07-04-2002, 07:43 AM
Wow, that is a killer looking water chiller, I gotta get me one of those :D. Wait.....that would cost A LOT in electricity.....hmmm..... :D.

AsWeThinkWeIs
07-08-2002, 03:20 AM
nice looking chiller OPP...sorry i didnt post in such a long time, i got dragged away from my computers and hauled up north...GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

OPPAINTER
07-08-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by mackanz
OPP,

Are those ramsinks glued on to the memsticks and the g4 mems?

Any way to get those of without leaving traces?
I´ll have my Danger den setup on the way an i want to do a similar thing but i dont want to ruin the warranty if i can avoid.

Mac

Those heatsinks are just on there by tape, My Radeon cards were a mess back then with silcone all over them, they were almost impossable to RMA.

AsWeThinkWeIs welcome back from up North.

OPP

AsWeThinkWeIs
07-08-2002, 12:59 PM
thx OPP, and BTW ive decided to say screw my idea for the chiller, cause i found a WORKING dehumidifier with a 2/3 HP compressor in my basement, ie IT WAS FREE, YAY! so i guess now ill move into the phase change forum :P