PDA

View Full Version : Asus P5K3 Deluxe Review

BenchZowner
07-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Hello everybody,

I've just finished & published the review of the Asus P5K3 Deluxe motherboard.
A motherboard equipped with the latest Intel chipset, the P35 Express, with 'native' DDR3-1333 support, along with Intel "Penryn" CPUs support.
We test and compare the motherboard with various Asus motherboards ( well, my bunch of alive...Asus motherboards :p: )

Some quotes from the review:

Recently Intel introduced the successor to their P965 Chipset, the brand new P35 Express Chipset, which brought support for DDR-3 memory along with support for Intel's future CPUs ( 45nm, Penryn, etc ).
Asus was one of the very first companies to introduce their P35 based motherboards, like the P5K & P5K Deluxe for DDR-2 memory, and the P5K3 Deluxe for DDR-3 memory.
We were tempted to try out the new 'spanking' DDR-3 memories, so we managed to obtain a P5K3 Deluxe board fast, and started testing it thoroughly.
Our very first DDR-3 memories were giving us some problems and low performance with the board, so we had to wait a bit to obtain some new cool DDR-3 modules to test the board right.
Well, here we are today, with all the necessary testing done and results, looking to show & tell you everything about this motherboard.

Get yourself a drink ( flaming lamborghini anyone ? :-p ) and sight tight, and enjoy the review!

After spending quite a lot time with the Asus P5K3 Deluxe, testing & tweaking it, measuring the performance given under various circumstances & settings, I can surely tell that this is definitely the best motherboard from Asus I've ever used and tested.It's not the most feature-full and component-full Asus motherboard around this time, but for sure it's the only one with all its features fully working ( oh except that stupid AI Net 2 and the "ICH9R RAID issue" which shall be solved soon ).
For the very first time Asus's BIOS looks pretty much mature, and with some more tweaking it can become the second BIOS used as 'reference' here at BenchZone ( #1 BIOS for us 'til now is definitely the legendary DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR BIOS ). They also decided to populate the BIOS with overclockers features that we were asking quite a lot over the last few years. All I'm wishing for now is Asus to keep updating the BIOS as soon as new stuff are 'found' or in the plans, don't abandon a product after 3 months from its release dudes.

There are a few things that I'd like this board to have ( like a wider range of voltages for the CPU & the memory, 2 more internal SATA ports, the power on & reset buttons on-board, the 90° angled SATA ports like the Striker Extreme, etc ), that'd be a very close to what I'd call an ideal motherboard for our Core 2 Series processors.

Read the review here (http://www.benchzone.com/page.php?al=asus_p5k3_deluxe_review)

3NZ0
07-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Great review, shame DDR3 costs an arm and a leg.....and some!