PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Ram Heatsinks

Kurz
07-03-2007, 05:06 AM
I've been wanting to get some, however with the fear of falling Ram sinks has kept me from buying them for now.

Are there other companies Ram sinks that don't have this faulty retention and/or a retailer that is known to have the updated thermal tape on the MC14s.

I really appreciate any insight, I am trying to go through these forums for info though its a bit convoluted opinion.

7499richard
07-03-2007, 05:10 AM
Just ordered some yesterday, from NCIX.com, should be here tomorrow, will let you know if they stick, I am going to be pretty mad if they don't. Swiftech should be responsible for the extra glue and tim required to to make these work, its false advertising on their part if I have to order extra things to make these work when it says on their website that they stick themselves.

Sparky
07-03-2007, 06:35 AM
I used the enzotech BMR-C1 ramsinks. They are very similar to the swiftech sinks except they have a few more pins and have way better thermal tape. All of mine stuck the first try, and they've stayed put for almost a month now on my X1950XT. I've taken my PC to a couple friends' houses and to a lan party too and nothing has budged. I like these things better than the swiftech sinks :up:

You can get them at Petra's. (http://www.petrastechshop.com/enbmpufocora.html)

They used to be a couple bucks cheaper than the swiftech sinks but I see that the MC14's dropped in price a little so now the enzotechs cost $1 more than the swiftech sinks. Worth it to me though to have good thermal tape!

1Day
07-03-2007, 07:00 AM
I understand that the thermal tape has been upgraded on the Swiftech - I will know in about a week I guess as I have just ordered a few sets.

sick_g4m3r
07-03-2007, 07:34 AM
IMO go for the thermaltake ones that cost like $8 a pack because RAM cooling doesnt really matter and you can get some epoxy/TIM mix going

Kurz
07-04-2007, 11:34 AM
I will probably pick up some Enzo's now Thank you everyone.

Richard have an update?

lowfat
07-04-2007, 11:58 AM
IMO go for the thermaltake ones that cost like $8 a pack because RAM cooling doesnt really matter and you can get some epoxy/TIM mix going

If you use epoxy on ramsinks, have run trying to remove them later on. Epoxy is meant to never break the bond. So the risk of pulling the memory IC right out of the board would not be uncommon.

nibble
07-04-2007, 03:01 PM
If you use epoxy on ramsinks, have run trying to remove them later on. Epoxy is meant to never break the bond. So the risk of pulling the memory IC right out of the board would not be uncommon.

Mix AS Epoxy with AS5 and you're good, or put your card in the freezer when you want to get the sinks off :eek: .

hecktic
07-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Mix AS Epoxy with AS5 and you're good, or put your card in the freezer when you want to get the sinks off :eek: .

lol.... why not throw it in the oven afterwards

but on a serious note, the 3M included thermal tape on the BMR-C1s has a slight less thermal conductivity than the included tape on the MC14s, however the 3M thermal tape was purposefully included to allow the "stickyness" factor to be the best of its class for BGA Ramsinks.

I got some other data straight from enzotech if anyone wants to see, like the difference in weight of the BMR-C1s vs. the MC14s and how the BMR-C1s will actually do a better job of coolin, among other data.

P.S. Personally what I do is just use the 3M thermal tape with a small dab of AS5/AC in the middle and then affix the bga ramsink with some force and then if I feel its not affixed enough Ill use a hair dryer to heat it up. This method gives me both the "stickyness" and the best "thermal conductivity"