PDA

View Full Version : Thread size of reservoir cap ?

R B Customs
07-02-2007, 01:55 AM
hey guys,
I need to know that the thread size is of the caps for the reservoirs i am using.

They are typically sold unbranded as 5.25 inch acrylic reservoirs, or branded as 'XSPC' and other variations.

Th cap is made from the same acrylic as the reservoir its self which is unusual to begin with.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5783/61108030wn0.th.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=61108030wn0.jpg)

Any help on the matter would be great, as i am not too certain of how to measure this plug! and i desperatly need to buy some spares!
cheers
Rb

virtualrain
07-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Your best bet is probably to find someone you know with a tap/die set to figure it out by gently test threading the cap onto various dies.

ranker
07-02-2007, 12:00 PM
hey guys,
I need to know that the thread size is of the caps for the reservoirs i am using.

They are typically sold unbranded as 5.25 inch acrylic reservoirs, or branded as 'XSPC' and other variations.

Th cap is made from the same acrylic as the reservoir its self which is unusual to begin with.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/5783/61108030wn0.th.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=61108030wn0.jpg)

Any help on the matter would be great, as i am not too certain of how to measure this plug! and i desperatly need to buy some spares!
cheers
Rb
Just a forewarning, those reservoirs are very leak prone and noisy to boot (gurgling sounds while pumping).

AllAgainstPaul
07-03-2007, 12:05 AM
I would not recommend that res. I used it and it did not enjoy my experience with it. Firstly, no matter what angle I tilted the res. I could not get all the air bubbles to drain because of the way the fill cap is not the highest point in the res. Because there were air bubbles the tended to accumulate near where water enters the res. It would always gurgle as the air bubbles got forced around the middle divider a sucked down the outlet towards the pump. Finally, what ranker said was true, they tend to leak. My did and killed my motherboard.

R B Customs
07-03-2007, 10:36 AM
no worries guys, the cap size is M20 x 1.5

what a nightmare it was to find replacement caps but i found the perfect solution.
i have had absolutly no problems with these reservoirs, ive used tons of them.
things only leak if you dont fit em properly ;)

ive only had one which has caused a problem ( cap keeps splitting )which is looking like it is down to the reservoir its self, maybe the way the threads ahve been cut. I have sourced some softer plastic caps though ! all is well.

Cheers
Rick

*edit*
@allagainstpaul
you did hook the res up in the right direction didnt you ?
looking at the puic i posted, the outlet is on the left, and intel is on the right ( looking @ res from front )

and where were your reservoirs leaking from ?

ranker
07-03-2007, 10:43 AM
no worries guys, the cap size is M20 x 1.5

what a nightmare it was to find replacement caps but i found the perfect solution.
i have had absolutly no problems with these reservoirs, ive used tons of them.
things only leak if you dont fit em properly ;)

ive only had one which has caused a problem ( cap keeps splitting )which is looking like it is down to the reservoir its self, maybe the way the threads ahve been cut. I have sourced some softer plastic caps though ! all is well.

Cheers
Rick

*edit*
@allagainstpaul
you did hook the res up in the right direction didnt you ?
looking at the puic i posted, the outlet is on the left, and intel is on the right ( looking @ res from front )

and where were your reservoirs leaking from ?

These reservoirs use a glue that gets eaten away through the use of additives such as Pentosin. Leaks also form through microfractures caused by either adding/removing barbs or even just removing tubing multiple times. I thought everyone was just paranoid until I experienced it myself.

AllAgainstPaul
07-03-2007, 10:17 PM
@ R B Customs
Yes I had it in the correct orientation. And ranker hit it dead on on how it started to leak. The front panel started leaking, I emptied the loop and unscrewed it from the drive bay. When I tried pulling the res out the front panel came off. When I inspected the seams of the panel I could see where the glue was deteriorated.