PDA

View Full Version : ddc+alphacool top vs d5

zhangmaster12
07-01-2007, 05:32 PM
as the title says, which one would be better for a loop only consisting of a 120.2 swiftech rad and a dd tdx?

i only using the alphacool top because it 66 bucks for a ddc and an alphacool top on sharka computers

sick_g4m3r
07-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Oh thats the 9W, right? Then the D5 is much better.

ranker
07-01-2007, 10:11 PM
as the title says, which one would be better for a loop only consisting of a 120.2 swiftech rad and a dd tdx?

i only using the alphacool top because it 66 bucks for a ddc and an alphacool top on sharka computers

Sick, change your sig to "In D5 we trust".

OP:
Depends. If you're seeking silence, the DDC is going to sound like its not even there compared to the D5. I've owned both. I prefer the DDC to the D5 due to size, shape, performance, and loudness advantages it holds over the D5. However, 66 dollars for a DDC makes it a no brainer since the D5 is $75 at most places.

alejo
07-02-2007, 06:36 AM

It's an extra 27 bucks for the alphacool top at Sharka's. The $66 price is just for the pump.

zhangmaster12
07-02-2007, 07:02 AM
http://sharkacomputers.com/almoladdc12v.html

i already have a d5, getting another pump for dual loops

migueld
07-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Yea the alphacool top sells separately at $27. Even if sold separately, both items have a good price, usually a couple of bucks cheaper than newegg.com(DDC 9W) and xoxide.com(Alphacool top).

sick_g4m3r
07-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Sick, change your sig to "In D5 we trust".

OP:
Depends. If you're seeking silence, the DDC is going to sound like its not even there compared to the D5. I've owned both. I prefer the DDC to the D5 due to size, shape, performance, and loudness advantages it holds over the D5. However, 66 dollars for a DDC makes it a no brainer since the D5 is $75 at most places.

change your sig to "In DDC we trust"....

I mean look at what you are saying.....

I guess I am sorry because I like high performance and reliability.

zhangmaster12
07-02-2007, 04:06 PM
sick g4mer, i apreciate your help, but are in a bad mood today, or are you trying to argue with people?... just wondering...

anyway, i dont care about noise just performance and price.

ddc+alphacool top or the D5?

sick_g4m3r
07-02-2007, 04:11 PM
OK I am sorry. I see you said performance and price. The $66 price you saw is the DDC-1 with the top. The DDC-1 even with the top is worse than the D5 as they have nearly the same head but the D5 almost triples its flow. So the performance gain you would get by spending an extra 9 dollars would push me over to the D5.

zhangmaster12
07-02-2007, 07:59 PM
there we go, thanks for the info sick gamer!

edit: just noticed, the ddc+top has .7m more head. would this make a diff or would the d5 still be better?

also, i know for a fact that a ddc+ with an alphacool top is better than a d5. the only diff between the ddc and the ddc+ would be 48 more gph and .9 meter more head. so this could mean that the ddc with a top is better than a d5 due to my educated guessing. kinda hard to explain. anybody got numbers to show exact difference betweeen ddc + alphacool top vs d5?

sick_g4m3r
07-02-2007, 09:22 PM
If you go through the threads I have posted to find my "Whats your system's flow?" thread, you can see that I have compared the D5 and the DDC2 w/petra's top. The difference there is .29GPM with the DDC2 w/Petra's top winning in a fairly restrictive loop with 2 rads, translating to about .2-3C of performance difference.

Petra's top really outperforms Alphacool's as it provides much more flow. From that thread I realized that the thing about head is how many things the pump can go through and keep going. For such pumps as the DDC2 or D5 that means many things. However, after this one must look at flow. Based on how much closer the flow is between the DDC2 w/petras top and the D5 and how close their performance was (.29GPM), that Alphacool top with 1/2 of the flow of the DDC2 w/petra's top and not nearly the same head will be outperformed by the D5 by, what I am guessing to be at least .5-1GPM which is about 1C. Even the DDC+ w/Alphacool top doesnt have the same flow or head as the petra's top which would probably set it exactly equal to the D5 or slightly less.

Hope that helps, and all this is actually based on near exact calculated numbers and graphs.

ranker
07-02-2007, 09:32 PM
there we go, thanks for the info sick gamer!

edit: just noticed, the ddc+top has .7m more head. would this make a diff or would the d5 still be better?

also, i know for a fact that a ddc+ with an alphacool top is better than a d5. the only diff between the ddc and the ddc+ would be 48 more gph and .9 meter more head. so this could mean that the ddc with a top is better than a d5 due to my educated guessing. kinda hard to explain. anybody got numbers to show exact difference betweeen ddc + alphacool top vs d5?

DDC 9W + top should put performance roughly on the same level as the D5. However, the DDC-1 is that much more quieter than the D5 and the DDC 18W as well.

You really can't go wrong either way. I know Sick loves the D5 for his reasons. I find myself preferring the DDC for its other features: quietness, compact size, changeable barbs for different size tubing, RPM cable standard, and its ease in mounting/installation.

Flip a coin if you can't decide.

sick_g4m3r
07-02-2007, 09:44 PM
DDC 9W + top should put performance roughly on the same level as the D5. However, the DDC-1 is that much more quieter than the D5 and the DDC 18W as well.

You really can't go wrong either way. I know Sick loves the D5 for his reasons. I find myself preferring the DDC for its other features: quietness, compact size, changeable barbs for different size tubing, RPM cable standard, and its ease in mounting/installation.

Flip a coin if you can't decide.

I agree with Ranker on everything except the 9W and top will be out performed by the D5.

zhangmaster12
07-03-2007, 07:23 AM
due to petras anylysis, a ddc+ with an alphacool top beats the d5 in everywhich way. so if i get the ddc (9w) with an alphacool top, it will give my same temps compared to the d5 in my loop: res-->pump-->tdx-->mcr240.

So, becasue i already have a d5 there is no point getting a ddc (9w) with an alohacool top. Once again, noise, power consuption whatever doesnt matter, all that matters is highest overclock with the best temperature.

correct me if im wrong. thanks

ps. id rather not flip a coin becasue i want to be sure im making the right decision.