PDA

View Full Version : New WC Build

ChOmP
07-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Ok after doing research for the past few weeks I think I'm ready to order my parts.:)

Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
EK-Multioption RES 150 (When new revision is here)
D-tek FuZion CPU Water Block
Swiftech MCW60-R Retail VGA Waterblock
Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit
Tygon R3603 1/2in. ID 3/4in. OD Laboratory Tubing
EK High-Flow Fitting - 1/2" OD
Breeze Miniature Hose Clamp 7/16 in. to 25/32 in.
ThermoChill PA120.3
Dangerden Delrin Fillport
Chomerics Thermattach® T412 Conductive Tape
Arctic Cooling MX-1 Thermal Compound
UV Reactive Pentosin G11
Petra'sTech "PT_Nuke"
Thermaltake Copper BGA Memory Heatsink
Swiftech MC21 Aluminum MOSFET Heatsinks
Petra'sTech "Gel-Stuff" Vibration Absorption Block

Phew, Ok I think that's everything. I plan to put it all in a TJ07. I'm going to cool a Q6600 and an 8800gtx.

Now is that everything? Did I miss anything or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks:up:

nibble
07-01-2007, 03:00 PM
That's a top notch set-up, you'll be very happy. Until you start thinking about what upgrades you could do to it, that is :p: . There's always one more thing you want to do, it's like a disease:D.

kevinbo03
07-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Very nice! only suggestion I would make is getting 7/16" tubing, And maybe swiftech ramsinks instead of thermaltake. Or getting a DDC w/top, But It;s mostly just if you are concerned for noise and don't mind the extra $30.

What will you be using for fans?

I LOVE the scythe X-Flex series, I always used them. Some one convinced me to go with some Yate Loon low-speeds (For silence); And I'm now thinking I will have to run them at 7v. :(

ChOmP
07-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Very nice! only suggestion I would make is getting 7/16" tubing, And maybe swiftech ramsinks instead of thermaltake. Or getting a DDC w/top, But It;s mostly just if you are concerned for noise and don't mind the extra $30.

What will you be using for fans?

I LOVE the scythe X-Flex series, I always used them. Some one convinced me to go with some Yate Loon low-speeds (For silence); And I'm now thinking I will have to run them at 7v. :(

I'm going to be using Scythe S-flex fans, think the "F" model. On the ramsinks, I saw that you have to bend them to get them to fit under the tubing and fittings. Are they really that better then the Thermaltake ones? I would rather not have to alter them if I could. If worse comes to worse I guess I could 1 set of each and use the Swiftech ones on all the spots except the ones right under the tubing.

sick_g4m3r
07-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Thats a perfect setup, great job researching. Dont worry about D5 noise, they are silent as one member said he cant hear them over his 28dba fan and his psu

Gunlance
07-01-2007, 05:03 PM
^ Some D5's DO make a whine noise. I own one and so do others.

sick_g4m3r
07-01-2007, 05:08 PM
The early D5s would whine. The later ones and the MCP655s from Swiftech all fixed this issue.

This has been fixed.

ChOmP
07-01-2007, 05:54 PM
This has been fixed.

That's good. I think I will keep the D5, it also saves me some money. Anyone have some information on the ramsinks, Thermaltake vs. Swiftech. Is bending the Swiftech's a hassle, should I just mix and match or stay all Thermaltake?

sick_g4m3r
07-01-2007, 05:57 PM
That's good. I think I will keep the D5, it also saves me some money. Anyone have some information on the ramsinks, Thermaltake vs. Swiftech. Is bending the Swiftech's a hassle, should I just mix and match or stay all Thermaltake?

wow I just looked at that Thermaltake pricetag :shocked: thats awesome! I say stick w/thermaltake all the way because the thermal difference of the sinks cant be that significant at all

ChOmP
07-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Ok now it seems I have another question lol. Im trying to see if the PA120.3 is worth the huge price. I know it is the best, but if I am only cooling a Q6600 and a 8800GTX do I even need it? Would the Swiftech MCR320 be a good replacement? Being able to save almost $100 is a big plus. I know that if I get the PA120.3 it would be able to last throughout any upgrades that I could make but the price difference between the PA120.3 and MCR320 is pretty large.

I'll be using the Scythe S-Flex fans which are rated at 63.7 CFM, are these enough to even out the performance of the MCR320 since the PA120.3 does better with lower CFM fans? Thanks again everyone for the help. :D I hope to be able to order these parts within the week, the case is already on the way.

sick_g4m3r
07-01-2007, 06:48 PM
The MCR320 should handle that load well:

http://www.swiftech.com/assets/images/products/MCR320/mcr320_HD_vs_FR.gif
http://www.thermochill.com/PATesting/PA1203cwVSFlowrateGPM.jpg
http://www.swiftech.com/assets/images/products/MCR320/mcr320_TR_vs_FR_SMALL.gif

If you look at these charts, you see at 1.5GPM (average flow of a loop) the C/W of the MCR320 is about .023, and the PA120.3 is about .019. for the 12V 1212M fans (fan used from the swiftech site and the second to lowest orange line on the thermochill chart). Thats about a 1.5C difference for a 400W load (about what you will have and then some). So if 1.5C is not that much to you, then the MCR320 is definitely worth it. But of course, you can add a second MCR320 for still less than one PA120.3 and receive about 3C better than the PA120.3 for your 400W load.

IMO id go for 2xMCR320 if it fits (thats totally future proof), if not, decide if 1-2C is too much for you. And if you think about going 2xMCR320 your flow will be fine as you can see in this thread:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148668

And for fans go for some 70.5CFM medium speed yates from petrastech. They are nearly exactly the CFM of the 1212M's used in the charts, and they cost less than the S-flex.

kevinbo03
07-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, Get the MCR320. For the ramsinks, The Swiftechs will dissipate heat better- But for memory, It doesnt matter much anyways. If you you some thermal EPOXY on the TT sinks, They will probobly outperfom the Swiftech ones.

Also, I've worked with D5's before, And currently own a DDC. The D5's are noticeably louder then the DDC, And put off more vibration. I could even test them both right now; I've got one of each.

sick_g4m3r
07-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah, Get the MCR320. For the ramsinks, The Swiftechs will dissipate heat better- But for memory, It doesnt matter much anyways. If you you some thermal EPOXY on the TT sinks, They will probobly outperfom the Swiftech ones.

Also, I've worked with D5's before, And currently own a DDC. The D5's are noticeably louder then the DDC, And put off more vibration. I could even test them both right now; I've got one of each.

Do you have a new D5? read this statement I found about the new revision of D5s:

In response to the overwhelming demand for a quieter MCP655, we are proud to introduce the new MCP655 pump, which features several key improvements:

* Considerably reduced audible operating noise: the high pitch frequency of the MCP655 is now eliminated thanks to a new chipset controller,
* Head and flow characteristics have slightly improved in the midrange,

This was taken from sidewindercomputers.com. It seems that problem has been eliminated.

ChOmP
07-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Ok, thanks for all the help everyone. I'll be back if I have anymore questions.:up:

kevinbo03
07-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't know if it's a new one- The one I have now was purchased in December.

sick_g4m3r
07-01-2007, 08:46 PM
oh i doubt thats new, I believe these revisions were made within the past month and corresponded with the 655-B release.

ranker
07-01-2007, 10:07 PM
LOL Sick, this thread too? A man on a mission!

Anyhow, OP, stick with the thermochill if you can afford it. It's one stop solution that won't require you to add any additional radiators and can handle cpu + 2 GPU's in one loop.

MCR's are great, but not all of us have room to add 120x3 radiators anywhere we feel like.

If money is tight get the MCR, if not, get the thermochill pa210.3 The radiator and the pump are the two most important purchases you'll make and will likely be the two components you'll reuse again and again. To go cheap here, means headaches down the road when you experience "growing pains."

ChOmP
07-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Yay more questions.:D Ok, so on the tubing I think I have decided to go with 7/16" ID, now I was searching around and found these two:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ty7id5odlatu.html 7/16"ID 5/8"OD

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ty7id11odlat.html 7/16"ID 11/16"OD

I heard that 1/8" wall thickness is what I want, so the 2nd tubing would be better, but I also see a lot of people recommending a 5/8"OD... so which one should I choose? Or should I just stay with 1/2"ID to make things easier, I will be using clamps either way.

SoulsCollective
07-02-2007, 02:02 AM
You might have clearance issues with 1/2" ID tubing with an MCW-60. From the product page:

The detail at the bottom left of the screen shows the clearance available for 1/2" tubing. Thick wall 3/4"OD x 1/2" ID tubing will interfere with the Ramsinks, whereas thin wall 11/16 "OD x 7/16" tubing clears the Ramsinks just fine.

peebi
07-02-2007, 02:51 AM
Ok after doing research for the past few weeks I think I'm ready to order my parts.:)

Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump

MCP655 or MCP655-B

ChOmP
07-02-2007, 02:54 AM
MCP655 or MCP655-B

MCP655, I want to be able to adjust the speed of the pump. Specifically, this one: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu.html

sonofander
07-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Thermochill +1
Those quads put out more heat than some people understand. Seriously, I doubt the MCR's ability to handle the quad and the GTX. If you are planning to OC that proc, I'd say the 120.3 is a must have!

ChOmP
07-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Thermochill +1
Those quads put out more heat than some people understand. Seriously, I doubt the MCR's ability to handle the quad and the GTX. If you are planning to OC that proc, I'd say the 120.3 is a must have!

Yeah I think I will go with the PA120.3, hopefully the new G0 stepping for the Quad core will help temps.

IanY
07-02-2007, 05:37 AM
What's this about the "new revision" of the MCP655/D5 ? All I see is the removal of the Vario feature. What else is new besides the lower price compared to the variable pump ?

IanY
07-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Well according to Sidewinder Computers, the pump went through a revision:

Here's link: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu.html

Have yet to see it mentioned anywhere else though.

The variable adjustment feature is old news and the high pitch frequency does not affect most of the "old" D5s. Now, increased head and increased flow is interesting, and I'm trying to get to the bottom of that.

ChOmP
07-02-2007, 05:19 PM
MCP655, I want to be able to adjust the speed of the pump. Specifically, this one: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu.html

OK, now I am 2nd guessing myself :D. Is it important to be able to change the speed of the pump? Or would it be better if I just went with the lower-cost one, also how do I know if the pump I order has the RPM sensor? Do all -B versions have it? Thanks:)

SoulsCollective
07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Lowering the RPM is for those who want a quieter pump. If you're going to do that, though, you're better of with a DDC w/ mod top, as it's going to push more coolant to a greater head than a stepped-down D5, all at the same noise level.

That said, I can barely hear my D5 when isolated from the rest of my components, and not at all when in my case, so I don't think you'll need to step down.

ranker
07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
OK, now I am 2nd guessing myself :D. Is it important to be able to change the speed of the pump? Or would it be better if I just went with the lower-cost one, also how do I know if the pump I order has the RPM sensor? Do all -B versions have it? Thanks:)

If I'm going to buy another D5, I'd get the one with the speed dial. This way you can minimize the noise, tweaking it until it actually affects your temps.

ChOmP
07-03-2007, 01:33 AM
OK after having taking everyone's suggestions into consideration I've decided on my build list. Should be ordering the parts this week or next.

Actual Computer

Silverstone TJ07
Abit IP35 Pro
Intel Q6600 G0 stepping:D
4GB Patriot eXtreme Performance
EVGA 8800GTX
and the other stuff(HD, DVD-rom/burner, PSU, etc..)

Watercooling Stuff

Scythe S-Flex "F" Model fans
EK 1/2"OD Fittings
EK Multi-option RES 150
FuZion CPU Waterblock
Swiftech MCW60 GPU Waterblock
Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
ThermoChill PA120.3 Radiator
Tygon 7/16"ID 11/16"OD Tubing
Clamps, Fillport, Ramsinks, Backplate, etc...

Hope to have a worklog in the coming weeks. If anyone has any other suggestions, there all welcome. Thanks everyone!:up:

Ad1tya
07-03-2007, 02:16 AM
^^ Looking to be a great setup!