PDA

View Full Version : Help: mc-21 stickyness

phcjpp
07-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Hi,

Just this minute installing a couple of stealths - how on earth do people get those little mosfet sinks to stay on. Mine keep falling off.

Chris

SoulsCollective
07-01-2007, 01:00 AM
I never could manage that - it's a known issue on the older ones. I just scraped off the thermal pads and used Arctic Silver epoxy instead.

phcjpp
07-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Ah is the ceramique any good for that? I think I have basic artic silver 5 or the ceramique at mo. Failing that I will order some in.

Ta
Chris

SoulsCollective
07-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Nono, not your standard TIM, you need actual epoxy. This stuff (http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm). If you use standard TIM, when they heat up (remember your ramsinks will be upside-down when the card's installed) the ramsinks will just fall off. I use a 50/50 mix of AS5 and epoxy so I can get the things off again if I need to - if you use 100% epoxy, that's it, they're on there for life.

Cyprio
07-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Marci reccomends you use tiny dabs of superglue in the corners of the heatsinks with thermal paste (NOT epoxy) in the middle.

f you're gonna do it, do it right. Remove the thermal tape with isopropynol. Place a blob of AS Ceramique in the center of the ramsink. Put a tiny blob of superglue on each corner of the ramsink. Apply to ram, hold in place - done. To get back off again, a sharp twist breaks the tiny superglue-joins, and they're off again.

Mekrel
07-01-2007, 04:59 AM
I'm actually thinking of going against the stealth now and just going for an EK block. :)

SiGfever
07-01-2007, 05:34 AM
Didn't Gabe say that they use a new adhesive pad for their heat sinks now? I wonder if you can order the pads seperate to replace the old worthless pads?

Mekrel
07-01-2007, 05:48 AM
That was for MC14's

They probably updated the same pads onto the MC21's but the surface area is too small from what I have read.

Solarfall
07-01-2007, 05:55 AM
Marci reccomends you use tiny dabs of superglue in the corners of the heatsinks with thermal paste (NOT epoxy) in the middle.

yep super clue is good.. use a tiny drop, and i really mean a tiny drop.. when you wanna take those things off just use something to heat those heatsinks up. something like a hairdryer. etc..

Ad1tya
07-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Even the MC21's have the new Pads.

Ill be installing mine in July mid/end, So, Ill know then, if they really stick :/.

phcjpp
07-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Given my stealths aew only a couple of weeks old - I imagine mine are the new ones. They are a joke as far as stickeyness goes - they just don't.

Chris

Starscream
07-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Given my stealths aew only a couple of weeks old - I imagine mine are the new ones. They are a joke as far as stickeyness goes - they just don't.

Chris

If ur Stealth is a few weeks old its a 50/50 chance if it has the old or new tape.

cause last week there was a topic were they said that the new MC14 revision was ''just released''.

and seeing ur saying that the mc21as keep falling of i am guessing u stil got the old revision cause the Thermatach tape thats used on the new revision is supposed to be grt asfar as ive read.

Waterlogged
07-01-2007, 11:11 AM
I've never had any sinks fall off using the following method. I use a 20w Halogen accent light to pre-heat the tape for ~4 minutes at ~2.5 inches away from the tape.

hecktic
07-01-2007, 02:12 PM
As I said in another thread, epoxy or glue, anything that causes a near perm. stick will not be good in the long run come time of an RMA.

Just use 3M sticky TIM, the kind that comes with the enzotech BMR-C1s.

It provides great TIM performance plus it will stick better than its counterpart the MC14s.

You can also add a small dab of AC/AS5 in the middle of the tape TIM to provide a tad better performance.

Snyxxx
07-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Where can we find this 3m TIM.

I recently spent a lot of time googling for the same stuff on the enzotech BMR-C1s, but it was a volume type order of ~750USD.

Anyone know where to get a "little bit" of it?

Mekrel
07-01-2007, 03:34 PM
I know coolercases in the UK stock 3M tape.

gabe
07-01-2007, 07:23 PM

Chris

the tape on the 21 is the new thermattach :-( there is just not enough surface for it to stick. we are working with the vendor to find something that will work. sorry. we do have a problem there. crazy glue does work fine..

Jimmer411
07-01-2007, 07:43 PM
did you clean off the chips with rubbing alcohol first? I had the problem with my MC14s, but cleaning off the chips fixed it.

hecktic
07-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Where can we find this 3m TIM.

I recently spent a lot of time googling for the same stuff on the enzotech BMR-C1s, but it was a volume type order of ~750USD.

Anyone know where to get a "little bit" of it?

a lot of local office supply stores may carry it, like office depot or office max.

at least I saw it there last year some time at the local stores here in california.

edit: I just searched on google and you are right.
but maybe just maybe its in here on ebay
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=3m+Thermal+Tape&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=95267&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

.Logic
07-02-2007, 02:32 AM
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

Anybody tried this? Arctic Silver Epoxy?

Snyxxx
07-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the ideas for the 3M tape, I willl look into local stores.

In regards to AS5 epoxy above, yes I have used this mixed 50/50 with normal AS5 paste and it works good and I have been able to get the chips off later.

Be careful, you need to dilute the mixture. Test it yourself. I tried 70/30 epoxy and it was too weak. YMMV.

For ram chips and such, I recommend the Alumina epoxy/paste as it will not be a conductor for all those little leads coming off the ram chips.

GameGuru
07-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I just received my MC8800 kit and the MC14's do have the new thermattach tape although after reading this thread I'm thinking for the MC21's super glue and some MX-1 might do the trick. Anyone know how much glue to use? Someone said a tiny bit, are we talking like a pin drop size on all four corners?

7499richard
07-03-2007, 05:07 AM
Ahhh I am bit peed off to hear this, I just ordered two packs of MC14's and 1 pack of MC21's for my 8800GTX

Looks like I will need glue and TIM

To the Swiftech CEO: Don't you guys test this stuff before you sell it, I don't think its acceptable to be selling something and telling us it has thermal adhesive on it, then turning around and telling us to go and buy some superglue and extra TIM because you obivously didn't do your homework and proper testing on the current adhesive method. I don't see how we should be responsible to pay for the extra items needed to make these work, after the fact they were ordered, and on your website it says that they stick themselves.

Patriote
07-03-2007, 10:45 AM
As i said several times, just replace the stock thermal pads with this http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58&products_id=20882 It works freaking great!

GameGuru
07-03-2007, 01:18 PM
As i said several times, just replace the stock thermal pads with this http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58&products_id=20882 It works freaking great!

I totally agree that it probably works wonders. My only beef is that we have to pay an additional $18.95 + shipping (half the cost of the MC8800 kit) for something that should work right out of the box. Don't get me wrong, if you want something that works good your idea is money, it's just the principal that sucks. Why doesn't Swiftech kick us down some of that stuff :shrug:

7499richard
07-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Totall agree with GameGuru,

We bought something that is advertised to work, and it should work as advertised. We shouldn't be responsible for having to pay for extra items to make something work. these are simple enough, they should be "plug and play"

akajay
07-11-2007, 08:13 AM
i also bought MC14 and MC21 with the new tape and they arent sticky at all, i even heated them up a bit before applying and they still unstick with a little tap.

i have a v1000 so them falling off and shorting stuff isnt a problem but still why change the tape if they arent sticky at all.

GameGuru
07-11-2007, 08:49 AM
i also bought MC14 and MC21 with the new tape and they arent sticky at all, i even heated them up a bit before applying and they still unstick with a little tap.

Same here and I have the new kit as well. I first used some Isopropyl to clean, then using some of the ideas here I bought myself some super glue, the pen kind that only uses a drop at a time and applied two small drops to the center of the 14's on the tape and they held perfectly. For the 21's I just applied a small drop to each end of the sink. So $1.50 to get these babies to stick compared to some other methods costing much more. Hope this helps.