PDA

View Full Version : Ametek industrial pumps

Agent11
06-29-2007, 01:23 PM
http://www.ametektmd.com/ametek/PDF/Product%20Catalogs/Blowers/Pump%2010%20Gal%20Seal-less%20Brush%20Motor.pdf (http://www.ametektmd.com/ametek/PDF/Product%20Catalogs/Blowers/Pump%2010%20Gal%20Seal-less%20Brush%20Motor.pdf)
PDF

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=547-0009&SEARCH=&MPN=150284%2D111&DESC=150284%2D111&R=547%2D0009&sid=46844B8038A7E17F
listing, very interesting site also.

Does anyone have experience with these pumps? They have my curiosity peeked.

This and it's 24v counterpart are the most affordable, they are seal less and brushed. The brush less are several hundred more :rolleyes:

Be sure to note.. Gallons... Per minute.

EnJoY
06-29-2007, 01:33 PM
80watt power consumption at full speed....do you have any idea how much heat that thing would dump in your water compared to say...a Laing D5? Maybe, at least 4 times more? Yup. No good.:)

NaeKuh
06-29-2007, 01:36 PM
80watt power consumption at full speed....do you have any idea how much heat that thing would dump in your water compared to say...a Laing D5? Maybe, at least 4 times more? Yup. No good.:)

did you see how crappy its head output is?

im sorry it may have uber flow rates, but its head pressure were looking at.

This pump has at most 16feet head.

The ddc-2 has more head.

And lets not get into what my RD-30 can do.

The D5 is tons better then this pump. And its a heck of a lot smaller.

Agent11
06-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Thats why you mount it outside the case..with a dedicated fan..
I've been looking into maybe starting a project with 1 inch copper. I think this pump would do pretty good in such a setup.

I'm still bouncing ideas around my head though.

Cathar
06-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Decent pressure head. WAY too much rated flow, and hence wasted power draw, and as a result, heat dump into a loop.

It the peak flow was 1/4 of what it's rated, and the power draw to match, then it'd be a decent PC w/c pump.

Sure, you could use it, but it'll put so much heat into your loop that temps will likely get worse.

Oh, and you always want brushless if you want long-term reliable full-time operation.

EnJoY
06-29-2007, 01:44 PM
did you see how crappy its head output is?

im sorry it may have uber flow rates, but its head pressure were looking at.

This pump has at most 16feet head.

The ddc-2 has more head.

And lets not get into what my RD-30 can do.

The D5 is tons better then this pump. And its a heck of a lot smaller.

So you're agreeing with me then? :confused:

Decent pressure head. WAY too much rated flow, and hence wasted power draw, and as a result, heat dump into a loop.

It the peak flow was 1/4 of what it's rated, and the power draw to match, then it'd be a decent PC w/c pump.

Sure, you could use it, but it'll put so much heat into your loop that temps will likely get worse.

Oh, and you always want brushless if you want long-term reliable full-time operation.

Exactly. I remember your big pump thread at ProCooling that listed the measured heat dumps of all the popular pumps at the time, including iwaki's. If I remember correctly, the threshold for when a pump's performance was offset by it's heat dump in watts was around 25w with a dual 120mm rad?

Agent11
06-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks everyone, there are flaws. yes..

It wouldn't be easy and there would be problems to work out.. But it would be interesting.

Most definitely not plug and play though.

NaeKuh
06-29-2007, 01:56 PM
So you're agreeing with me then? :confused:

Exactly. I remember your big pump thread at ProCooling that listed the measured heat dumps of all the popular pumps at the time, including iwaki's. If I remember correctly, the threshold for when a pump's performance was offset by it's heat dump in watts was around 25w with a dual 120mm rad?

most definitely... The D5 is a much better choice.

If you want a external pump, i would look at the IWAKI MD-30 over this pump. :\

Ehiems arent that bad either. Infact i havent seen a thread once on it dying.

BigBlueBoy
06-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Any specs on sound level (decibels)? It's my understanding that most "industrial" pumps sound like the Titanic engine room...

Cathar
06-29-2007, 03:03 PM
If I remember correctly, the threshold for when a pump's performance was offset by it's heat dump in watts was around 25w with a dual 120mm rad?

Yes. I think the rule of thumb that was ended up at was roughly we'd want no more than 10W of rated pump power draw per 120x120mm of radiator size. Could go up to 15W of power draw per 120x120mm radiator size, but that's only if using fairly noisy fans. Certainly we'd never want more than 20W per 120mm rad segment. In general, for many scenarios, the 10W per 120mm segment rule holds true.

Oh, before people go a say that this is a be-all end-all sort of deal, it's not. If anything from the Procooling thread, it showed that you could use quite a wide variety of pumping powers with fairly minimal effects on overall temperatures. It's just an advisory if we want the lowest possible temperatures, keeping in mind that we're talking about <1.0C differences here between most pumps.

Agent11
06-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Noise isn't a concern for me, and I'm thinking of using a very large copper heater core with a 10 inch fan rated at over 500 cfm... Maybe two.

Still bouncing ideas around though, if I go through with this I'll have to build a case to fit, and I can work some sound proofing into it.

Can't stop thinking about using these in a project so I think I'll have to do it eventually...I'll worklog it when I get all the parts together, could be a bit though.

Anything is possible if you are willing to spend the time and money on it.
I'll probably go with the brush less version of this pump, in the end it will be less expensive than a failure.

Even if it performs on par with cookie cutter water setups it will be fun to build.

I guess I've watched too much home improvement :shrug:

For any interested here is the Brush less model

|mfr. # |150084-01| vdc|12 |10ft|13 GPM|15 |11 GPM|20|9 GPM|25|7 GPM|Max head-feet| 29|
hmmm.

after a little more research it looks like Iwaki wins in both price and performance. I'm looking at the md100 now :)