PDA

View Full Version : WC'ing questions

jws2346
06-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I asked this, probably dumb question, on another forum and got something about paragraphs, go figure :rolleyes: I appologize if my post is hard or boring to read. I just need an informative answer or two. Here's what I have, I have 2X E6600's sitting side by side, folding 24/7 with the WinSMP client. My ambient temperatures read by a indoor/outdoor thermometer are between 20c and 21c. The only differences in the rigs are the cases and methods of cooling, the WC'ing loop is independent of the "no name" case and only cools the cpu. I have active fans on my NB, SB and video card. I have it mounted via grometted holes and both cases are by the open window so the rad gets fresh cool air. They both are OC'ed to 3 GHz (333 FSB), both in TForce P965 mobo's with 3 GB's of PC6400 RAM and both have a stock vcore of 1.325. The air cooler is in a Antec 900 case with 2X 120 mm front fans, 1X 120 mm back exhaust fan and it has some gigantic blow hole top fan (I think its a 220 mm fan), the WC'er is in a "no name" brand case with a Apoogee WB, a MCRE micro res, 3/8th" tubing (plumbed with the direct and shortest distances possible) and a MCR 220 rad with 4X Yate Loon D12SM-12 fans in a "suck" push/pull configuration, it all runs on distilled water and the HydrX that Swiftech recommends. Should these temperature differences be farther apart? Have I got the right fans? (they're Yate Loon D12SM-12 120 mm fans) I installed the WB with Artic Silver 5 with the "stipe method", should I have used the "all over the chip" HS method? I need some advice, not because I'm a complete "newb" to computers, but because I'm a complete "newb" at water cooling. I measure the temps with SpeedFan and Core Temp. I know software temp programs aren't all that accurate and I just use the readings for reference. I was hoping the WC'er would be cooler, I want to step out for a Q6600 when they drop in price and I've read where they run up to 10c hotter than a dual core. I'm not complaining about my cpu temps, ATM the WC'er reads a steady 32c and the AC'er reads a rocking 35c to 36c temperature while folding :confused: Any answer as long as it's not about "grammar", but about WC'ing would be appreciated. :D

ranker
06-28-2007, 08:13 PM
I asked this, probably dumb question, on another forum and got something about paragraphs, go figure :rolleyes: I appologize if my post is hard or boring to read. I just need an informative answer or two. Here's what I have, I have 2X E6600's sitting side by side, folding 24/7 with the WinSMP client. My ambient temperatures read by a indoor/outdoor thermometer are between 20c and 21c. The only differences in the rigs are the cases and methods of cooling, the WC'ing loop is independent of the "no name" case and only cools the cpu. I have active fans on my NB, SB and video card. I have it mounted via grometted holes and both cases are by the open window so the rad gets fresh cool air. They both are OC'ed to 3 GHz (333 FSB), both in TForce P965 mobo's with 3 GB's of PC6400 RAM and both have a stock vcore of 1.325. The air cooler is in a Antec 900 case with 2X 120 mm front fans, 1X 120 mm back exhaust fan and it has some gigantic blow hole top fan (I think its a 220 mm fan), the WC'er is in a "no name" brand case with a Apoogee WB, a MCRE micro res, 3/8th" tubing (plumbed with the direct and shortest distances possible) and a MCR 220 rad with 4X Yate Loon D12SM-12 fans in a "suck" push/pull configuration, it all runs on distilled water and the HydrX that Swiftech recommends. Should these temperature differences be farther apart? Have I got the right fans? (they're Yate Loon D12SM-12 120 mm fans) I installed the WB with Artic Silver 5 with the "stipe method", should I have used the "all over the chip" HS method? I need some advice, not because I'm a complete "newb" to computers, but because I'm a complete "newb" at water cooling. I measure the temps with SpeedFan and Core Temp. I know software temp programs aren't all that accurate and I just use the readings for reference. I was hoping the WC'er would be cooler, I want to step out for a Q6600 when they drop in price and I've read where they run up to 10c hotter than a dual core. I'm not complaining about my cpu temps, ATM the WC'er reads a steady 32c and the AC'er reads a rocking 35c to 36c temperature while folding :confused: Any answer as long as it's not about "grammar", but about WC'ing would be appreciated. :D

Wall of text crits you for 14k.

Chewbenator
06-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Those are very good temps for both of the systems. If those temps are correct it doesn't seem that the folding app is stressing the CPUs very much. If you could load TAT up on your computer and see what the 100% test does for temps that would be a better indication of your FULL load temps. Generally the more heat your chips are putting out the greater the difference in the temps will be between your two setups. At that temp the difference shouldn't be that much different anyway.

jws2346
06-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Those are very good temps for both of the systems. If those temps are correct it doesn't seem that the folding app is stressing the CPUs very much. If you could load TAT up on your computer and see what the 100% test does for temps that would be a better indication of your FULL load temps. Generally the more heat your chips are putting out the greater the difference in the temps will be between your two setups. At that temp the difference shouldn't be that much different anyway.

Hey thanks for saying my temps were good They're probably reading a bit too cool, but I hope Core Temp and SpeedFan aren't that far off. I haven't had any instability problems so far. I'm too lazy to go with a hardware temp probe. What I do mostly is let the machines fold unattended so cooler temps are just perfect for me. I think I understand the FULL load temp thing, I'm just glad that the folding WU's don't stress my cpu's as much as the TAT program would. Anyhoo, thanks for answering my question, you're answer makes complete sense to me. I never thought of the temps being farther apart with more heat (D'oh)

Edit update: I was only getting like a 4c spread in temps, now I'm getting a 7c spread. Being "patients challenged" I probably should have waited for the AS5 TIM to settle or cure or whatever. Oh well, I know there are some people out there that know what I'm talking about when I say "patients challenged". (politically correct for being in too big of a hurry or panicing over nothing)