PDA

View Full Version : Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4D

Clairvoyant129
06-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Ordered 2 pairs of 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 Dominators 6400C4 on June 18, 07...

Well, got to say they are pretty terrible. It defaults to 4-4-4-12-2T... runs ok at default but if you change any of the timings = instant BSOD. Overclocking over 850MHz @ 5-5-5-15-2T = instant BSOD. Tried it @ 2.2v, 2.3, 2.4v and still BSOD. I thought Dominators used Micron D9s but to my surprise the new revisions (2.1 and 2.2) use Promos... even my old Twin2X PC5400C4 (800MHz @ 5-5-5-12-1T) overclocks better than this junk. Whats the point of this fancy heatsink if you can't do anything with it? And yes, both pair are doing the samething...

So I'm guessing I paid almost $400 just for the name... "Domaintors."

I was just wondering if I can RMA this? Would I have to RMA through where I got it from (newegg) or Corsair?

Thanks

Redbeard
06-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Ordered 2 pairs of 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 Dominators 6400C4 on June 18, 07...

Well, got to say they are pretty terrible. It defaults to 4-4-4-12-2T... runs ok at default but if you change any of the timings = instant BSOD. Overclocking over 850MHz @ 5-5-5-15-2T = instant BSOD. Tried it @ 2.2v, 2.3, 2.4v and still BSOD. I thought Dominators used Micron D9s but to my surprise the new revisions (2.1 and 2.2) use Promos... even my old Twin2X PC5400C4 (800MHz @ 5-5-5-12-1T) overclocks better than this junk. Whats the point of this fancy heatsink if you can't do anything with it? And yes, both pair are doing the samething...

So I'm guessing I paid almost $400 just for the name... "Domaintors."

I was just wondering if I can RMA this? Would I have to RMA through where I got it from (newegg) or Corsair?

Thanks

First, I'm sorry to hear about your overclocking issues. Actually, I'm pretty surprised. The Promos-based modules frequently hit 900-1000 MHz @ 5-5-5-15-2T with the stock 2.1V , although as you're aware, overclocking is not guaranteed on anything.

I assume you're not overclocking all 4 modules at once, as the load on the memory controller is going to be limiting your overclock as well, and increasing the voltage to the northbridge is frequently necessary in order to gurantee decent operation with 4 modules.

For the record, the Dominator 6400C4 has been Promos based since its inception, and that fact has been public on our forums in the IC inquiry thread since last November. We've never used Microns for that part unless they were downbinned as a failure for 8500C5 or something higher, as the idea for the 6400C4Ds was simply to provide the dominator technology at a lower price point.

The DHX heatsinks do assist in longevity and overclocking of all modules, as they provide superior cooling to the ICs. Even at stock speeds the benefit exists. However, the fact that you have 4 modules and none of them overclock seems to point to some other issue, as the odds of getting 4 modules that don't overclock are almost zero.

ChaosMinionX
06-28-2007, 10:18 AM
You arent doing something right if you change 1 value on the ram and it BSOD, you must not have the proper NB voltage, or your trying to set Cas3 on those sticks or something. Loosen the timings and 2.0-2.2v should be fine on those sticks, your using 4GB of ram, the controller may need a lil more juice to OC them, 4GB is rather hard to get running stable when you OC.

If your having a problem still, take each stick individually OC it then Memtest 86+ run a loop of that see what happens, after each stick with an OC leave the OC that ran best, then try using 2 sticks, then 3, then 4. Isolate the problem, and make sure its the ram causing a BSOD, and not your processor.

Clairvoyant129
06-28-2007, 03:44 PM
You arent doing something right if you change 1 value on the ram and it BSOD, you must not have the proper NB voltage, or your trying to set Cas3 on those sticks or something. Loosen the timings and 2.0-2.2v should be fine on those sticks, your using 4GB of ram, the controller may need a lil more juice to OC them, 4GB is rather hard to get running stable when you OC.

If your having a problem still, take each stick individually OC it then Memtest 86+ run a loop of that see what happens, after each stick with an OC leave the OC that ran best, then try using 2 sticks, then 3, then 4. Isolate the problem, and make sure its the ram causing a BSOD, and not your processor.

I tried both, using all four sticks and two sticks. Nothing works, tried all kinds of voltages. It's funny because my old Twin2X 5400 can easily overclock to 800MHz @ 5-5-5-12-1T @ 2.2v. Either I got very unlucky or I'm doing something wrong (which I doubt). My system is rock solid stable with my old XMS2 5400s @ 800MHz.

ChaosMinionX
06-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Your not setting 4GB to 1T are you? Also take some BIOS shots.

Clairvoyant129
06-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Your not setting 4GB to 1T are you? Also take some BIOS shots.

No I'm not. I did try 1T with 2 sticks 800MHz @ 5-5-5-15 though but that doesn't work... BSOD :rolleyes:

But the funny thing is, my 2 year old 4x512MB Twin2X 5400s works at 800MHz @ 5-5-5-12-1T, rock solid stable, Orthos, 3DMark06/05, Memtest.

I couldn't accept the fact that my new Dominators couldn't beat out my old memory. I RMAed them anyway, got me a pair of Dominator PC8500s.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/clairvoyant129/untitled.jpg

Clairvoyant129
06-28-2007, 09:50 PM
First, I'm sorry to hear about your overclocking issues. Actually, I'm pretty surprised. The Promos-based modules frequently hit 900-1000 MHz @ 5-5-5-15-2T with the stock 2.1V , although as you're aware, overclocking is not guaranteed on anything.

I assume you're not overclocking all 4 modules at once, as the load on the memory controller is going to be limiting your overclock as well, and increasing the voltage to the northbridge is frequently necessary in order to gurantee decent operation with 4 modules.

For the record, the Dominator 6400C4 has been Promos based since its inception, and that fact has been public on our forums in the IC inquiry thread since last November. We've never used Microns for that part unless they were downbinned as a failure for 8500C5 or something higher, as the idea for the 6400C4Ds was simply to provide the dominator technology at a lower price point.

The DHX heatsinks do assist in longevity and overclocking of all modules, as they provide superior cooling to the ICs. Even at stock speeds the benefit exists. However, the fact that you have 4 modules and none of them overclock seems to point to some other issue, as the odds of getting 4 modules that don't overclock are almost zero.

I'm sorry but both pairs couldn't go over 850MHz @ 5-5-5-15-2T. I thought it might be the motherboard but on EVGA's site, it showed the Dominators as being compatiable. I tried everything but the fact that my old 4x512MB Twin2X 5400s could do 800MHz 5-5-5-12-1T (rock solid stable) and my new Dominators couldn't (with 2 sticks) was a complete disappointment.