PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

freak22
06-26-2007, 11:59 AM
I have a few questions.

My set up is a PA120.3 with 3 nexus 120mm fans in a pull configuration in the bottom of a stacker CM case. I have a 2 Acetal MAZE4 GPU SLI blocks, D5 Pump, TDX CPU block. Running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester with 2 gig ram. 2 eVGA nVidia GeForce 7800 GT 256MB CO PCIe GPU’s.

I recently added the second GPU. Before my temps were running around 70F at idle before I added the second GPU. Now it runs around 80F at idle with the second GPU installed. I guess I am wondering if I should worry about this 10 degree jump at idle. I have not had time to really put it under a load to see what the temp jumps to. Also would I benefit from moving the rad to the back of the case and adding 3 more fans so it would be a push/pull config.

Thanks
jeremy

IanY
06-26-2007, 12:27 PM
That's the cost of adding two gpus to the loop. Its the load temps that matter. About 100 F to 110 F is excellent, and you should leave it the way it is. If it exceeds 130 F, it becomes unacceptable.

freak22
06-26-2007, 12:34 PM
thanks for the quick response. I am going to try and put a load on it sometime before the weekend. What would be a good way of putting a load on it?

Thanks
jeremy

IanY
06-26-2007, 12:37 PM
thanks for the quick response. I am going to try and put a load on it sometime before the weekend. What would be a good way of putting a load on it?

Thanks
jeremy

Since you have a dual core Manchester, download the program called Orthos. Alternatively, you can run two instances of Prime 95. Orthos is the easy way to do it.

Let the program run for a good 5 to 8 hours. If you are stable that long, chances are that you're also long run stable. Measure the temp progression. The temps should rise immediately and settle in about 5 minutes later. Wait for 5 to 8 hours and look at your cpu temps. Also pull up Nvidia control panel and look at your gpu idle temps.

Starkiller42
06-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Shouldn't he want to load test with the GPU's at max too? In that case I'd recommend also running a program called rthdribl (yes, that is the correct spelling) which always gets my cards very toasty.

And just me, but I usually find that my temps don't reach their true max for at least 15 minutes.