PDA

View Full Version : my DVI/VGA journey

RaZz!
06-26-2007, 05:43 AM
hi there!

i'm having some issues with getting everything right with a DVI cable and a VGA/DVI adapter.

well, first of all a short description of my situation:
LCD TV with DVI-input (i don't exactly know if it's DVI-I or -D, unfortunetaly, the manual doesn't give any hints... but i think it's DVI-I).
now i want to connect my notebook to this TV. unfortunately, the notebook only has a VGA-out (like most of the aged notebooks).
due to all other pcs here being DVI-only i wanted to avoid buying a DVI-to-VGA cable. instead of that i wanted to use a DVI-D-to-DVI-D cable and then use an DVI-I/VGA adapter.

now my question is: does a DVI-D/DVI-D cable work flawlessly with an DVI-I/VGA adapter? or do i need a DVI-I/DVI-I cable in order to get it to work properly?

thanks in advance.

cu, bye, vga and dvi :p:

IamAnoobieCheez
06-27-2007, 05:06 PM
RaZz!,

If you're going to use the DVI-I/VGA adapter you might want to use DVI-I to DVI-I cable. DVI-D is digital only. DVI-I accepts digital or analog. So if you run DVI-D cable (w/DVI to VGA adapter) from your laptop VGA connector to the TV you will not get video because the DVI-D cable is not accepting the analog signal. The DVI-I cable will work in this case. Does your LCD TV have a VGA input?? if so you will be better off to simply use SVGA cable (high quality HD-15) to connect to your laptop.

RaZz!
06-28-2007, 01:33 AM
argh... i've already ordered the cable :<
someone in another forum said it would work, d'oh!

the other problem is that i can't find any DVI-I cables in my prefered shops. well, i'll wait until the cable arrives and just test it. if it's not working i just have to send it back.

thx for the info.

IamAnoobieCheez
06-28-2007, 08:45 AM
No problem. Let us know how it works out... :)

RaZz!
07-02-2007, 03:06 AM
hehe, fortunately, i had the chance to change my order due to one article which wasn't available :D. the shop screwed the productnames a bit - now they also had a DVI-I cable (which was wrongly named as a DVI-D cable and therefore i couldn't find any DVI-I cables).

the only downside is, that the dvi-i one is single link only. but that's no problem i think, because my lcd tv only has a max res of 1366x768 :)

and i can't find any dvi-i dual link cables floating around. seems to be a rare article?!