PDA

View Full Version : Lost a Hard Drive

[XC] gomeler
06-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Wow.. so I had roughly 630 cpu-days worth of data for PSP:S on my Macbook hard drive in preparation to drop a huge dump when I finished up my final range when my Macbook's hard drive died on me. Tomorrow I go to see if Apple can recover the data and replace the hard drive, this is a huge blow to my crunching as that's damn near 8 weeks of work down the drain. I run RAID1 on my desktop and server but can't RAID a laptop and it was my most vital drive, should have done incremental backups :owned: If I can't recover this I might have to take a break, the prospect of re-crunching all those numbers isn't looking all that hot. I want to go and throw my laptop under a car and run it over a dozen times :(

Frisch
06-24-2007, 09:13 PM
I can almost feel the pain. That's one of those moments, you wish you could turn back time....

Have you tried to contact Super Turtel, he could maybe pull a Superman, fly against the rotation of the earth.....:D

[XC] gomeler
06-25-2007, 02:20 AM
:) 14 hours and I go and see what Apple is willing to do, then I go to town on this hard drive. I'll give super turtle a buzz and see what he has to say

[XC] riptide
06-25-2007, 03:03 AM
Hate that Gomeler! You were making good progress on that too.Next time pick smaller ranges and dump more often. :)

[XC]thewildblue
06-25-2007, 05:11 AM
Sorry to hear that about the drive, thats the problem with doing dumps.

Have you tried the classic put the drive in the freezer etc or will you wait to see what apple say.

[XC] gomeler
06-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Going to wait and see what Apple has to say first. I'm not letting them keep my drive, that's for damn sure.

justin_c
06-25-2007, 12:06 PM
i heard the freezer thing is a myth. too bad you can't tell what type of hd failure it was without cracking open the HD; you could get it recovered.

[XC] riptide
06-25-2007, 02:16 PM
gomeler;2274854']Going to wait and see what Apple has to say first. I'm not letting them keep my drive, that's for damn sure.
Why Chris... whats on it.... nice pics :)

i heard the freezer thing is a myth. too bad you can't tell what type of hd failure it was without cracking open the HD; you could get it recovered.

It actually can work for a short time. No myth mate.

[XC] gomeler
07-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Well that was a fieldday, Apple refuses to work on it as it's out of warranty, Seagate won't directly warranty it as the warranty is with Apple, so I'm tough out of luck. Just ordered a 120GB drive though, 50% upgrade :) Still lost all my data but oh well, can't win em all.