PDA

View Full Version : Cooling an E6420 and 2x8800GTX

Stvwndr219
06-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi,

For my new build, I'm considering water-cooling an overclocked E6420 and 2x8800GTX (which may or may not be overclocked). From what I've read, a single 2x120mm radiator may not be enough in one loop, so i thought perhaps 2 would work. I'm planning on getting a swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra with the Apogee GT CPU block kit along with 2 MCW60s for the 8800s as well as another radiator.

The case I'm planning to set these in is a Thermaltake Armor (regular series) and I think that should suffice spacewise. My questions are:

Would this setup work?
Is this setup practical?
Are there alternatives?

My configuration would most likely be in series going from: pump->cpu->radiator->gpu1->gpu2->radiator->resevoir->pump. I'm planning to build this towards the end of the summer so please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Stvwndr219

Baleful
06-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Junk the case, I don't think those armor's are very watercooling friendly. 1 220 wouldn't be enough, but 2 would. Have the 8800's on one loop, and the CPU on another. As for the waterblock, the Apogee GT is a very good performer, but if you're looking to squeeze out that last few C, then the D-Tek Fuzion would be better. MCW60's for the GPU's would also be fine, be sure to get the G80 adapter and plenty of ramsinks.

One alternative to the case would be to get a Silverstone TJ07, they're are pretty easy to watercool in. Look through the liquid cooling case gallery to get some ideas.

For your loop, you really should have 2 completely seperate loops, like this:

CPU loop: Res>Pump>Radiator>CPU Block>Res
GPU Loop: Res>Pump>Radiator>GPU1>GPU2>Res

Stvwndr219
06-25-2007, 10:01 AM
so there would be two seperate loops with two seperate pumps and resevoirs? would it then just be cheaper to buy each one of the parts separately? probably from like Jab-Tech or something?

Also for the Tt Armor case, I was thinking of using the rad box and mounding a 220 on the back and one in the front. Are there any conflicts with this? From the pictures I've seen, this works quite well and the Armor has the water holes predrilled in there too along with that 25cm fan.

Baleful
06-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I have no experiences with Jab-Tech so I cannot comment on this. Petras is probably the best place i've dealt with so far. Give them a call, and tell them what you're setting up/looking for and they can help you with anything.

www.shoppts.com

ranker
06-25-2007, 11:10 AM
so there would be two seperate loops with two seperate pumps and resevoirs? would it then just be cheaper to buy each one of the parts separately? probably from like Jab-Tech or something?

Also for the Tt Armor case, I was thinking of using the rad box and mounding a 220 on the back and one in the front. Are there any conflicts with this? From the pictures I've seen, this works quite well and the Armor has the water holes predrilled in there too along with that 25cm fan.

You can go either 2x 220 radiators or 1 x 320.

I've done both on my previous armor build. You'll have to strip out all the bay devices in the front to start with, including the useless "tool box" at the bottom. Now, if you need 5 5.25" bay devices, you'll be forced to use a 220 radiator in the front. If you only need 3 5.25" bay devices, you can mount a 320 radiator in the front. To mount the radiator in the front, I'd suggest using velcro on both sides of the radiator, or just one side if its really thick velcro. It'll hold it in place.

If you want to use a 2x 220 radiator setup, then mount the first one in the front and then either cut out the top of the case to mount it internally (you'll lose access to only your top most 5.25" bay and also your top usb/firewire port) or you can use a rad box to mount it outside.

Stvwndr219
06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
I think the 2x220 configuration suited me. i was originally planning to mount one of the rads up front and one in the back of the case with the rad box. The loop that I would have done would be what I had above. Ranker, how did you cool your two rads? Were they on separate loops or on a single loop? Also, would that MCP655 be enough to get all the liquid through? My original loop was:

pump->CPU->Rad(back of case)->GPU1->GPU2->Rad(front of case)->Res->pump

Also, I just read the sticky about the DDC-1 and DDC-2 and the kit from Petra-tech that I was also considering included a DDC-3.1 with a modded top. Is this a newer form o the DDC pumps? and which would be better, the DDC-3.1 in Petra's kit or the D5 in the swiftech kit?

One more question: Because I am not planning to overclock the E6420 too high (probably a modest 2.6-2.8Ghz) would I need to run the CPU and GPU on separate loops or would that MCP655 and everything that I have listed be able to cope with that speed and heat? Thanks for the replies!

Stvwndr219

zgundam
06-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Rather than getting ramsinks for the MCW60's get the Dtek Unisink instead. Ramsinks might cool better but they're a pain to work with and fall off easy unless u stick'em on permanent or do the superglue in the corner thing.

Yeah, the DDC 3.1 = DDC 1, but the DDC 3.2 != DDC 2. I would prefer the DDC 3.1 / DDC 1 with modded top over the D5 simply because it runs quieter.

And having two loops is always better... even if you don't overclock much the lower temps means you won't have to turn the fans up = less noise.

NaeKuh
06-25-2007, 07:30 PM
I think the 2x220 configuration suited me. i was originally planning to mount one of the rads up front and one in the back of the case with the rad box. The loop that I would have done would be what I had above. Ranker, how did you cool your two rads? Were they on separate loops or on a single loop? Also, would that MCP655 be enough to get all the liquid through? My original loop was:

Also, I just read the sticky about the DDC-1 and DDC-2 and the kit from Petra-tech that I was also considering included a DDC-3.1 with a modded top. Is this a newer form o the DDC pumps? and which would be better, the DDC-3.1 in Petra's kit or the D5 in the swiftech kit?

One more question: Because I am not planning to overclock the E6420 too high (probably a modest 2.6-2.8Ghz) would I need to run the CPU and GPU on separate loops or would that MCP655 and everything that I have listed be able to cope with that speed and heat? Thanks for the replies!

Stvwndr219

your majorly lacking on the pump and radiator department.

The GTX's will draw 175-200W of heat each. Thats 350-400W just on your GPU.

The CPU will draw anywhere from 65W-121W when overclocked. The 65 is if non overclocked.

Your heat load can max out to 521W of heat. If you WCG and play games at the same time, that number will be near that.

You need to split the loops up because your GPU will hurt your CPU temps quite noticibly. 500W+ of heat is not something to be taken lightly.

Think of it this way, you have a space heater and you want to cool it to a point where just warm air comes out. Thats very very difficult.

ranker
06-25-2007, 11:13 PM

Stvwndr219

I ran everything in one loop at the time and was using a D5 at the time. My loop consisted of a Apogee GT and two MCW60's to cool a C2D e6600 and 2 Nvidia 7900GT's. It kept my temps fairly low but I wished I got either dual D5's or a DDC in hindsight.

I think you'd be best off with two separate loops to get the best performance possible. Use the radiator in the back to cool your CPU while the radiator in the front would cool your GPU's.