PDA

View Full Version : Zerex coolant- can I use the car stuff?

invalidbuffalo
06-22-2007, 05:29 PM
A local auto store sells Zerex coolant, but not the "racing super coolant". Would any of the Original Green/DEX-COOL/G-05 products work?

nealh
06-22-2007, 05:56 PM
A local auto store sells Zerex coolant, but not the "racing super coolant". Would any of the Original Green/DEX-COOL/G-05 products work?

I am sure you can but it is the racing coolant that is desired...not sure exactly what the difference is
BTW..supposedly:
NAPA Auto Parts sells Valvoline (Zerex) Racing Super Coolant #VV858 in a 32oz bottle for $8.69

Nanometer
06-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Why exactly do you want coolant?

invalidbuffalo
06-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Why exactly do you want coolant?
Oh, I just want to use it as an additive. My coolant is going to be distilled water.

NaeKuh
06-22-2007, 07:19 PM
because the racing coolant is phosphate free.

Thats the big difference. The only other place to get phosphate free coolant would be a exotic car dealor, like a porshe or audi dealer.

IanY
06-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Zerex Super Racing coolant is mainly propylene glycol, which is biodegradable. Used in quantity (not for computers) it cools better than regular ethylene glycol. Supposedly propylene glycol is less toxic and safe for wildlife and the environment. The idea is that race car drivers crash badly, and the antifreeze has to be safe. I wouldn't go tasting it to find out if its safe :)

Regular antifreeze, including Zerex and Pentosin, is ethylene glycol. It is uniformly fatal if ingested. Among other organs, it rapidly shuts down your kidneys and your liver. If ingested in concentrated form, you pretty much have no hope. Same for pets. Dittos for children. It is inherently unsafe in a household with anyone other than sober and drug-free adults.

Incidently, talking about exotic car dealers, Porsche uses Pentosin and Ferrari uses Shell-branded Coolguard antifreeze. Both don't use Propylene in their regular cars.

whoodiestyle
06-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Zerex Super Racing coolant is mainly propylene glycol, which is biodegradable. Used in quantity (not for computers) it cools better than regular ethylene glycol. Supposedly propylene glycol is less toxic and safe for wildlife and the environment. The idea is that race car drivers crash badly, and the antifreeze has to be safe. I wouldn't go tasting it to find out if its safe :)

Regular antifreeze, including Zerex and Pentosin, is ethylene glycol. It is uniformly fatal if ingested. Among other organs, it rapidly shuts down your kidneys and your liver. If ingested in concentrated form, you pretty much have no hope. Same for pets. Dittos for children. It is inherently unsafe in a household with anyone other than sober and drug-free adults.

Incidently, talking about exotic car dealers, Porsche uses Pentosin and Ferrari uses Shell-branded Coolguard antifreeze. Both don't use Propylene in their regular cars.

i have taken a mouth full of zerex regular coolant but not swallowed just a little bit and im still alive but i was trying to siphon it out

invalidbuffalo
06-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Alright thanks for the info.

Would you still recommend zerex racing super coolant?

whoodiestyle
06-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Alright thanks for the info.

Would you still recommend zerex racing super coolant?

well what are trying to do with it? are u going for the colour? why not just use some dye?

invalidbuffalo
06-22-2007, 08:02 PM
well what are trying to do with it? are u going for the colour? why not just use some dye?

I want the biocide/anticorrosive properties. I don't care what the color is.

MaxxxRacer
06-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I no longer suggest Zerex unless, for some strange reason, you are mixing aluminum and copper in one loop.

If you just want the biocide then get PT_Nuke from petras tech shop. It will have virtually no effect on the cooling performance and will protect you from stuff growing in your system.

invalidbuffalo
06-23-2007, 01:37 AM
My loop is pump>d-tek fuzion>EK gpu block> EK gpu block>thermochill PA120.3>res. I think all of those are copper.

I'll order PT_nuke.

nealh
06-23-2007, 01:25 PM
I no longer suggest Zerex unless, for some strange reason, you are mixing aluminum and copper in one loop.

If you just want the biocide then get PT_Nuke from petras tech shop. It will have virtually no effect on the cooling performance and will protect you from stuff growing in your system.

I assume Maxx if I was using a Apogee GTX with my PA120.3, MCW60 you would recommend Zerex racing coolant or Pentosin

BTW. AFAIK..BMW coolant also is a Pentosin product....I had to buy some $20from the dealer