PDA

View Full Version : Which block for an 8800GTS?

sloppyjimbob
06-22-2007, 11:52 AM
I am new here and have been poking around the forums lately. So far i love it; there's a lot of good information here. Anyway, i plan on getting an 8800GTS and WC it. The question is, which block is best (i dont plan on doing a TEC rightnow)? I would preferably want a full coverage block that isn't very restricting, or should i say the least restricting full coverage bock. I have looked at a few venders' websites and the single coverage gpu blocks only have updated information for the 7800/7900 series. So do any of these blocks (non-full coverage) fit the 8800GTS. (like the DD Maze 5 or the MCW60)

I would like great performance with decent flow rate. If i do only go single coverage, im obviously going to put some heat sinks on the ram. And i do plan to overclock the vid card. FYI, currently i have a 7900GT volt modded running at 700/1900 with a DengerDen Koosah water block. (anything with better flowrate would be great) So what do you guys think is best. Thanks in advance.

Heres my setup: D5 ---> PA 120.2 ---> DD TDX (e6600 @ 1.35v) ---> 8800GTS (oc) all in a TT Armor case, so case room isn't really an issue.

ColonelCain
06-22-2007, 12:41 PM
First off, :welcome:

Well, depends on what your budget, and what you want to see.

If you want performance, while cheap, go MCW60.
If you want performance, and have a good budget, go Swiftec Stealth.

If you want a kick a** looking block with a fair amount of performace, go with the EK. :slobber:

As you can see, numerous factors. But this gets the just of it in.:up:

sloppyjimbob
06-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks for your response, i was leaning toward the mcw60 to begin with. Which heat sinks do you recommend I use on the memory for the 8800gts

perfection
06-22-2007, 03:57 PM
I checked out the koolance full cover block it stated gold plated full copper waterblock.

That's gotta be good isn't it, The koolance looks alot sexier than the EK I reckon and galvanic corrosion won't be a problem so it comes down to performance, anyone know about that?

sloppyjimbob
06-23-2007, 09:35 PM
First off, :welcome:

Well, depends on what your budget, and what you want to see.

If you want performance, while cheap, go MCW60.
If you want performance, and have a good budget, go Swiftec Stealth.
:up:

Which of these two blocks has the best flow rate/performance? (price not an issue)

ranker
06-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Which of these two blocks has the best flow rate/performance? (price not an issue)

MCW60's give the least amount of restriction and best temps. They also won't result in the ram/io/vreg's heat getting dumped into the loop as well. However, you get to deal with the tedious task of mounting ram sinks. It also happens to be the cheapest option.

If you want an easy to install option that cools everything (no painful heatsink mounting), then the EK blocks are best. However, they will not be compatible with future cards and usually run at about 120-130$ US.

Shlomo
06-24-2007, 12:14 AM
I checked out the koolance full cover block it stated gold plated full copper waterblock.

That's gotta be good isn't it, The koolance looks alot sexier than the EK I reckon and galvanic corrosion won't be a problem so it comes down to performance, anyone know about that?

Gold is worse at transferring heat than copper. Personally I think the EK block is the sexiest around, and even more sexy with an inverted ATX case and some good UV dyed fluid running through it. Absolutly amazing

CedricFP
06-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks for your response, i was leaning toward the mcw60 to begin with. Which heat sinks do you recommend I use on the memory for the 8800gts
I run my 88GTX naked with an MCW60, no problems yet.

Yozzman
06-24-2007, 01:34 AM
I got a EK Fullcover on my 8800GTS

Does the job very good :)

Omastar
06-24-2007, 01:40 AM
I prefer the MCW60. Better upgrade options (that is, it's more futureproof than full-cover blocks), low restriction (which works nicely with my D-Tek Fuzion), and doesn't dump heat from the RAM/vRegs/NVIO chip into the loop.

Besides, you can pick up some cheap Koolance ramsinks for $5, anyway. No one says you need MCW14s. Beware, though, the NVIO chip is incredibly hot--much more so than I initially thought. I have an MCW14 on it, and the heatsink is painfully hot; I can't leave my fingertip on it for any length of time. :( So do consider a bigger heatsink for the NVIO chip, and consider unorthodox mounting methods for it, because you very well may need them.

CedricFP
06-24-2007, 02:59 AM
I prefer the MCW60. Better upgrade options (that is, it's more futureproof than full-cover blocks), low restriction (which works nicely with my D-Tek Fuzion), and doesn't dump heat from the RAM/vRegs/NVIO chip into the loop.

Besides, you can pick up some cheap Koolance ramsinks for $5, anyway. No one says you need MCW14s. Beware, though, the NVIO chip is incredibly hot--much more so than I initially thought. I have an MCW14 on it, and the heatsink is painfully hot; I can't leave my fingertip on it for any length of time. :( So do consider a bigger heatsink for the NVIO chip, and consider unorthodox mounting methods for it, because you very well may need them.
Yeah, the IO chip is the only one I sink with an MCW14.. in fact, it's the only thing that the damn heatsinks would stick to.

And it gets very hot.

dnottis
06-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Go buy one of these:
http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-wherever-pci-rack.html

Cut as desired. Zip tie a yate loon to it and mount it next to your gpu. voila, the 8800 runs cool....

http://www.3dxtreme.net/other/H20%208800GTS/images/IMG_4121.jpg

septim
06-24-2007, 06:26 AM
lolz. where-ever rack sounds good.

lee143
06-24-2007, 06:26 AM
You can use the MC14 memory heatsinks. I heard the new ones are a lot stickier, but Petra's doesn't have the new ones yet.

Ad1tya
06-24-2007, 07:31 AM
^^ Petra has the new ones.

Atleast I got the new ones from him.

I suggest you go with a MCW60 w/ a MC8800 SMC Cooling kit (Ie. Ramsinks :P) I got the new rev. from Petra.