PDA

View Full Version : Users Discover Isolated Case of Blu-ray Disc Rot

safan80
06-22-2007, 02:51 AM
click the link to see a pic of the "disc rot"
http://www.dailytech.com/Users+Discover+Isolated+Case+of+Bluray+Disc+Rot/article7710.htm

Copies of "The Prestige" on Blu-ray Disc suffer from manufacturing defect

A small group of Blu-ray Disc owners have discovered a manufacturing defect in the disc that renders the media virtually unplayable. As noted by members of the AVS Forum, the movie most commonly affected by the defect is The Prestige, from Buena Vista Home Entertainment (BVHE).

The defect is immediately visible to the naked eye and appears as a pattern of dots on the reflective surface of the disc. Users are reporting that the surface of the unplayable discs is still smooth to the touch, indicating that the defect is occurring beneath the top coating.

Other forum participants reported that their copies of Stranger Than Fiction, The Departed and Gone in 60 Seconds also suffer from the same defect.

Upon DailyTech’s inquiries to BVHE regarding a defective batch of The Prestige, a representative said that the company was not aware of any specific defects regarding its Blu-ray Disc titles.

A Sony Pictures Blu-ray Disc engineer was privy to more information, posting to the forum, “I did some checking on this issue and found out that this is an isolated case with a limited number of discs affected from one title. Apparently there was some sort of impurity that was mixed in with a batch of material used for this production run and it was [simply] a fluke. [Your] Blu-ray library is safe.”

Members of the forum who were affected by the flaw said that they received postage-paid envelopes from BVHE to return their discs. One had already received a response from BVHE that a replacement will be sent out as soon as possible.

edit: since DT was down earlier I'm adding the pic.

Phlash
06-22-2007, 04:30 AM
The Prestige was a pretty crazy movie

adfinni
06-22-2007, 04:37 AM
It seems like problem with the manufacturing of the discs. It's not something to get scared about that will affect all blu ray discs, as there is no way they would be on the market if they would all succum to it so soon after manufacture.

Sending out pre-paid envolopes to send them back and receive a new one asap seems liek pretty good customer service to me.

Ub3r-L33ch
06-22-2007, 05:13 AM
It seems like problem with the manufacturing of the discs. It's not something to get scared about that will affect all blu ray discs, as there is no way they would be on the market if they would all succum to it so soon after manufacture.

Sending out pre-paid envolopes to send them back and receive a new one asap seems liek pretty good customer service to me.

omgz lawlz Blu-Ray is teh suxxorzs, HD-DVD rulez 4 lyfe, goodbye $ony lololololol

krille
06-22-2007, 05:22 AM
This got anything to do with BR discs only having a 0.1 mm protective layer compared to the 0.6 mm of HD-DVD (and DVD) discs?

Ub3r-L33ch > lol?

Ub3r-L33ch
06-22-2007, 05:46 AM
This got anything to do with BR discs only having a 0.1 mm protective layer compared to the 0.6 mm of HD-DVD (and DVD) discs?

Ub3r-L33ch > lol?

I highly doubt it, it is only The Prestige discs having these issues. I hear the protective coating on the Blu-Ray discs is really good stuff anyways.

nemrod
06-22-2007, 06:52 AM

Not, one is scratchless the other not. Do you really believe a compagny doing 5.5 billions $ business (2006) renting dvd will chose, after experimentation in 250 stores, to support blu-ray if the blu-ray is defective in few rent?
this is just a bad batch :shrug:

ahmad
06-22-2007, 07:06 AM
Probably sony cutting corners to save some cash.

Ub3r-L33ch
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Probably sony cutting corners to save some cash.

Dumbest thing I've heard this month.

The Prestige
Distributors:
Warner Bros. Pictures International, Buena Vista Pictures Distribution

The Departed
Distributors:
Warner Bros. Pictures Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures International

Gone in 60 seconds
Distributors:
Buena Vista Pictures Distribution

Looks like Stranger than fiction was distributed by Sony though.

It is an isolated incident, just The Prestige and maybe a few others. What the fukk does this have to do with Sony?

Cobalt
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
At least it happened to The Prestige. They ruined the book with that film.

krille
06-22-2007, 09:43 AM
The problem here obviously isn't scratches, it's rotting. Bacteria and whatnot surely find it easier to sneak past 0.1mm "scratch-proof" protective surface than 0.6mm "non-scratch-proof" protective surface. Besides, wouldn't 0.6mm of the scratch-proof surface be better still (or at least something above 0.1mm)? I'm very sceptical, but w/e as long as it gets fixed for the consumer without extra charge.

nemrod > Sure, why not? The reason for going BR over HD-DVD was simply BR rented more, not BR was better (or even as good). Retailers, sales and renting companies go wherever the profit is, they don't give a crap about the quality involved. (If the consumer wants bad quality, the consumer is at fault.) Not saying this is the case though, but if it is I don't think it would change the store's decision, unless the consumers change their buying patterns.

ahmad > Yup, this shouldn't happen. Everyone cuts corners, but some more than others.

terrace215
06-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Bacteria and whatnot surely find it easier to sneak past 0.1mm "scratch-proof" protective surface than 0.6mm "non-scratch-proof" protective surface.

Yeah, "People and whatnot surely find it easier to sneak through a 100ft thick wall of steel than a 600ft thick wall of steel." :rofl:

Ub3r-L33ch
06-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Yeah, "People and whatnot surely find it easier to sneak through a 100ft thick wall of steel than a 600ft thick wall of steel." :rofl:

Good point. I dunno if bacteria is hindered the same way we would be though ...

nemrod
06-22-2007, 03:09 PM
nemrod > Sure, why not? The reason for going BR over HD-DVD was simply BR rented more, not BR was better (or even as good). Retailers, sales and renting companies go wherever the profit is, they don't give a crap about the quality involved.

Because for rent, you need your customers could read. So if many blu-ray disk become unplayable this is a very important concern for renting compagnies... :shrug:

krille
06-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Yeah, "People and whatnot surely find it easier to sneak through a 100ft thick wall of steel than a 600ft thick wall of steel." :rofl:FYI there are steel-eating bacteria. So no, bacteria don't play by the same rules. And besides, this isn't XtremeApplesToOrangesComparisonsAndAddSomePearsToT hat.org. I think you'd like it better there.

Because for rent, you need your customers could read. So if many blu-ray disk become unplayable this is a very important concern for renting compagnies... :shrug:Just replace the disc? Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Kaze06
06-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Just replace the disc? Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Yeah, because they don't mind blowing their wad on replacing a faulty disk :rolleyes:.

krille
06-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Yeah, because they don't mind blowing their wad on replacing a faulty disk :rolleyes:.Ofc they wouldn't if it's rented. It's not like they'd have much of an option. If they didn't, someone else would and they just lost a customer. :rolleyes:

vudoodoodoo
06-23-2007, 08:47 AM
omgz lawlz Blu-Ray is teh suxxorzs, HD-DVD rulez 4 lyfe, goodbye $ony lololololol

lol.

onewingedangel
06-23-2007, 10:06 AM
The problem is not with blu ray disc specifications but rather with faulty manufacture. There were many DVD's that also had similar issues (including T2), as well as CD's and other non optical media.

HD-DVD will inevitably have a similar issue down the line.

Ubermann
06-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Sounds like someone found HIV or something of importance on the disc.
A few bad ones, who the heck cares to even make news of it ?

I dont mean you Safan i mean the original source..

safan80
06-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Sounds like someone found HIV or something of importance on the disc.
A few bad ones, who the heck cares to even make news of it ?

I dont mean you Safan i mean the original source..

I still think it's good for people know. Look at all the dangerous crap that's come out of China lately.

Kaze06
06-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Ofc they wouldn't if it's rented. It's not like they'd have much of an option. If they didn't, someone else would and they just lost a customer. :rolleyes:

Well, either you need to clear up your English, or we both aren't talking about the rental companies. I sincerely doubt video rental stores quite enjoy replacing expensive discs.

Sumanji
06-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Dumbest thing I've heard this month.

Even dumber when you read his sig:

A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something.

-Plato

Think about that very carefuly the next time you have to say something :)

lol?

Rava6e
06-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Maybe the discs were shipped over water and they got contaminated there, with moist and stuff? I doubt its some sort of "blu ray disc plauge", or a blu ray disc eating bateria xD :rofl: