PDA

View Full Version : Win XP visuals / services.....

PiLsY
07-01-2002, 05:33 PM
Does it make much difference to 3d mark scores? Ive not noticed any difference at all whilst benching with my MX440 but that could be due to the card limiting the score anyway.

I would think that turning off all visuals (ie pure win 98 mode) and getting all the memory back from unnecessary services would help a little when youre right at the edge, but ive never found 3dmark to use more than 90 megs anyway, plus I cant see the visuals taking that many cpu cycles (if any) when the desktop is in the background during 3d mode. With all default services on ive got about 160megs free, with it down to a skeleton setting I have about 188megs free. I did notice it makes for a more stable system when pushing the cpu and memory to the limits tho (managed to run 3dmark 3mhz fsb higher than my previous best). Doesnt affect longterm stability tho, only short term.

BTW - incase anyones not tried it, try setting 3dmark to the upper high priority instead of realtime - gained me about 80 marks ;). Im guessing realtime gives it too much priority and ends up taking cpu cycles away from the vid driver for texture placement. Or it could just be this P4S333 being a freak (again).

PiLsY.

mackanz
07-01-2002, 11:09 PM
CanĀ“t you add that post to the 3dmark guide thread?

Super stuff!

Mac

gimmpy
07-08-2002, 07:59 AM
where in xp do you change 3dmark to upper high priority instead of realtime thanks

mackanz
07-08-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by gimmpy
where in xp do you change 3dmark to upper high priority instead of realtime thanks

Open the task manager, just like 2k.
Right click on the 3dmark and choose realtime priority.

Mac