PDA

View Full Version : running high temps with folding

Capt_John_Carte
06-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Hey Guys
I am having some trouble with the temp on the cpu it's running about 47c at the starting of folding and starts to increase to about 48-49 c i dont know if thats anything to worry about thats why I dont fold 24/7 I usually fold about 10-12 hoiurs at a time. there is my computer setup

antec case with 5 80 mm fans pointed in. antec 350 watts power supp.

soltek sl-75frn motherboard amd 2500+ barton core
VANTEC AeroFlow VA4-C7040 for a heatsink http://www.vantecusa.com/afc250.html
yes i have arctic silver 3 on the core,
ati 8500 radeon 2 hard drives 60 gigs each 2 cdroms .
p.s i took the removable air fillter off the front of the case for air flow i have round ide cables and i think thats about it.

Thanks in advance for any info

:confused:

felix88
06-21-2003, 05:48 PM
Capt_John_Carte, it looks like you've been a member for a while, but WELCOME TO XTREME!!!

47-49c isn't too bad if you are overclocked. otherwise, you may need to improve your case airflow.

what is your ambient temp?

Hardass
06-21-2003, 06:09 PM
F@H will make the cpu temp rise as it uses 100% of the cpu. You say your fans are pointed in, you need to change several fans to exhaust the heat from your case. Welcome to Xtreme!:toast:

felix88
06-21-2003, 06:15 PM
oh, i missed the part about all of the fans pointing in, that is probably a good part of your problem. you want the air exiting the case to be equal to the air entering the case. 3 fans blowing in, and 3 blowing out for example. i'd flip 2 of them around.

Tweaked!
06-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Yeah, to add to what Hardass has already said, you want an even amount of intake and exhaust. Typically, the front lower region of the case is the ideal spot to put the intake fans, and the rear top of the case is best for the exhaust. Heat rises, so the top is best spot to exhaust the hot air. Just make sure that you maintain an even amount of both as to avoid negative pressure and dead air spots in the case. Normally the fan in the psu is exhausting air, so count that as the first exhaust fan. Add one fan at the front lower protion of the case to help the psu fan pull the air. It's always better in any case that you have an uneven amount of fan openings in the case, to make more of the fans exhaust the air rather than pushing the air into the case. :cool:

Capt_John_Carte
06-21-2003, 08:20 PM
my ambient temp is 36-37c . I have tried to changed the flow of the fans but that only seems to increase the temp really fast. they are different types of fans wondering if I should buy different fans the angle of the fins any sugg. which is the best fans I have also tried running with the side pannel off and get the same cpu temp. Also I know this is a pain but I thought about taking the heat sink off and taking off the arc tic silver 3 abd reappling the arc sil 3. It was the frist time I used the stuff :idea:

Thanks for all your help

felix88
06-21-2003, 08:24 PM
make sure you don't have too much AS3, as it can actually cause higher temps. use a paper thin layer, actually the thinner, the better.

chile
07-03-2003, 10:24 PM
follow the directions from the arctic silver site....have you tried arctic ceramique yet? only really good for 1-2C's but if it' a drop you're after, they all count....

Capt_John_Carte
07-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by chile
follow the directions from the arctic silver site....have you tried arctic ceramique yet? only really good for 1-2C's but if it' a drop you're after, they all count....

Hey there guy I took off the old as3 & fan positions and now my temps are running at 42-43c and thats folding temps after several hours kwel don't you think.

:banana: