PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Cooling Recommendation

An0nym0us88
06-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi Xtreme Systems Members,

I am ready to buy a new liquid cooling set to take over my Gigabyte 3D II Liquid Cooling and it hasn't done the job like it supposed to and the temperature sucks on it. I wanted to get a new liquid cooling that would bring very low temperatures even in the high 30s in load with Ambient Temperature in the 90s (50&#37; Humid). I've been looking around on newegg.com and there are many cooling sets to choose from and I have no idea which one is the best or long-lasting. Swiftech looks like a good one especially Apogee GT or GTX block. http://www.xoxide.com/watcoolkit.html <this site has some cool looking liquid cooling sets and I have never bought anything from their sites. I am sure you guys know alot more than I do in Liquid Cooling.

Anyways, I am willing to pay under $300 and I may buy it in July and sell my old one (just Radiator, Pump and Block).

What do yall recommend on me buying liquid cooling sets or custom?

Thank you and sorry if you had to read all these. :( :)

NaeKuh
06-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Hi Xtreme Systems Members,

I am ready to buy a new liquid cooling set to take over my Gigabyte 3D II Liquid Cooling and it hasn't done the job like it supposed to and the temperature sucks on it. I wanted to get a new liquid cooling that would bring very low temperatures even in the high 30s in load with Ambient Temperature in the 90s (50&#37; Humid). I've been looking around on newegg.com and there are many cooling sets to choose from and I have no idea which one is the best or long-lasting. Swiftech looks like a good one especially Apogee GT or GTX block. http://www.xoxide.com/watcoolkit.html <this site has some cool looking liquid cooling sets and I have never bought anything from their sites. I am sure you guys know alot more than I do in Liquid Cooling.

Anyways, I am willing to pay under $300 and I may buy it in July and sell my old one (just Radiator, Pump and Block).

What do yall recommend on me buying liquid cooling sets or custom?

Thank you and sorry if you had to read all these. :( :)

from your components:

All parts are 1/2ID
D-tek Fusion
MCR320-QP if you cant fit it, then a MCR220.
7/16ID masterkleer tubing
Liang D5 or Swiftech MCP655
Swiftech microres.

Optional: MCW60 for your video card.

It should handle all that fine on a 320. And the price difference between a 320, and 220 is very very small. So i highly recomend a 320.

Stores i recomend and use. Also on my A++++++++++++++++++ list.

Jab-Tech.com
Petrastechshop.com
Sidewindercomputers.com

An0nym0us88
06-20-2007, 08:10 PM
from your components:

All parts are 1/2ID
D-tek Fusion
MCR320-QP if you cant fit it, then a MCR220.
7/16ID masterkleer tubing
Liang D5 or Swiftech MCP655
Swiftech microres.

Wow dude, you respond quick! Thank you!

I am not familiar with these but I will look it up.

Anyways, any other suggestions from others?

An0nym0us88
06-20-2007, 08:14 PM
$320 is fine anyway as long its worth it. Thanks again!

NaeKuh
06-20-2007, 08:21 PM
$320 is fine anyway as long its worth it. Thanks again!

i ment the MCR320... not the price tag 320.. LOL..

it should run you less then 300 for everything.

An0nym0us88
06-20-2007, 08:23 PM
i ment the MCR320... not the price tag 320.. LOL..

it should run you less then 300 for everything.

Oh ok, lol, thats great! Thanks for your help!

NaeKuh
06-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Oh ok, lol, thats great! Thanks for your help!

Just make sure you can FIT the radiator. Its 120x3, so about 3x bigger then your current radiator. However it does make a HUGH difference.

serialk11r
06-20-2007, 08:40 PM
You're not gonna get the temps you want, they're simply impossible :P I hope you realize that 90F is already almost 32C...

An0nym0us88
06-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Just make sure you can FIT the radiator. Its 120x3, so about 3x bigger then your current radiator. However it does make a HUGH difference.

Wow, that is huge... here is my case link http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-transformer-case-black.html I can just put on the floor of the case because there is nothing there or no cords.

An0nym0us88
06-20-2007, 08:43 PM
You're not gonna get the temps you want, they're simply impossible :P I hope you realize that 90F is already almost 32C...

My idle temperature at 1.39 vcore and 3.3Ghz is at 47C using Intel Analysis Tool and my radiator is freaking loud like a small leafblower (my speed-control died but still loud at lowest).

Dateranoth
06-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Yours really that loud? I had one of those setups but I was running it on low to medium speed and it wasn't that bad. My speed controller died as well. Hooked it to one of the mobo fan headers and used that to control it. However, your temps are far better than mine. I was getting 54C idle 68C load at 26C ambient with that same setup at 3.2ghz.. I think the voltage was around 1.38 or so. However, my pump just failed so I ended up buying what is in my sig. Which, btw cost well over $300. Worth it but I have yet to get to see how the temps are due to dead mobo.

Dateranoth

An0nym0us88
06-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Mine was ok with the sound at lowest, it should be quiet if its a liquid cooling system. 54C in what program? Core Temp Beta? that is crazy, I don't know what is wrong with this set up, maybe bad radiator with loudness in it?

ranker
06-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Mine was ok with the sound at lowest, it should be quiet if its a liquid cooling system. 54C in what program? Core Temp Beta? that is crazy, I don't know what is wrong with this set up, maybe bad radiator with loudness in it?

Radiators don't generate noise. It's most likely the fans hitting your radiator, and/or the pump.

If you really want to reduce noise while obtaining the best temps possible, I'd suggest going with Naekuh's recommendation but using the Thermochill PA120.3. The PA120.3 is better at dissipating heat with low CFM fans. Basically, less noise, same temps.

However, if you're looking to save money, you can't go wrong with the Swiftech MCR320 like he recommended since it basically wins the price/performance crown over here in the States.

NaeKuh
06-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Radiators don't generate noise. It's most likely the fans hitting your radiator, and/or the pump.

If you really want to reduce noise while obtaining the best temps possible, I'd suggest going with Naekuh's recommendation but using the Thermochill PA120.3. The PA120.3 is better at dissipating heat with low CFM fans. Basically, less noise, same temps.

However, if you're looking to save money, you can't go wrong with the Swiftech MCR320 like he recommended since it basically wins the price/performance crown over here in the States.

hahaha... thta pushes him over his budget tho.

i gave it careful thought. The radiator is 130 vs 50

Thats why i recomended the MCR320. For his setup he wouldnt see much of a difference from a MCR320 and a PA120.3

lee143
06-21-2007, 08:59 AM
You can also go to Petra's Tech Shop and choose their kits. They're really well worked out and give you the option of changing the radiator to the MCR320.

An0nym0us88
06-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Hey shapeless, your right but I like to try different parts in custom ways but yea when you have all in one, it is well worked.

Anyways, what you guys recommend what kind of water I should get and what kind of thermal paste on the CPU? what are the good ones? I will have to clean off my old one using alchol. Oh and, do I need to get bolt the thing behind the motherboard?

lee143
06-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Hey shapeless, your right but I like to try different parts in custom ways but yea when you have all in one, it is well worked.

Anyways, what you guys recommend what kind of water I should get and what kind of thermal paste on the CPU? what are the good ones? I will have to clean off my old one using alchol. Oh and, do I need to get bolt the thing behind the motherboard?

Np, it was just a suggestion. :p:

You should only use de-ionized/distilled water. As for thermal paste, looks like Arctic Silver MX-1 is a great choice. And what bolt thing are you talking about? Do you mean the waterblock?

An0nym0us88
06-21-2007, 03:38 PM
The bolt that shape like a X on the back of the motherboard, lol, I feel stupid...

ranker
06-22-2007, 01:50 AM
The bolt that shape like a X on the back of the motherboard, lol, I feel stupid...

Don't feel stupid. It's ok to ask questions. Better to feel confident before you pull the trigger as it is a large investment. The "X" thing behind the motherboard is called a backplate. It's used to prevent the motherboard from warping due to the amount of torque that is used to tighten down waterblocks.

Jedda
06-22-2007, 04:24 AM
I haven't read the whole thread but assuming you've chosen a D-Tek Fusion it should include a backing plate in it's accompanying mounting components. Mine from Petra's and my brother's from an aussy outlet both had them included.

NaeKuh
06-22-2007, 11:18 AM
I haven't read the whole thread but assuming you've chosen a D-Tek Fusion it should include a backing plate in it's accompanying mounting components. Mine from Petra's and my brother's from an aussy outlet both had them included.

Meep...

A backing plate?? i didnt get one of these...

You mean a TOP plate? to secure the block?

Incase your too lazy to dig up general guides though all the stickys posted here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=37&threadid=2005078&enterthread=y

i basically condensed everything and posted it on AT which later got stickied. Even your coolant questions is on there, as well as leak testing, and jump starting your psu.

If anyone see's any edits that needs to be on that guide, im all ears. But i think i covered basics.

coolrmaster
06-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Wow, that is huge... here is my case link http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-transformer-case-black.html I can just put on the floor of the case because there is nothing there or no cords.

that case won't hold a 120x3 rad internally

gotta go external or diff. case

lee143
06-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Are you sure? It looks like he might be able to fit the rad on top if he mods the case.

An0nym0us88
06-26-2007, 08:09 PM
What cases should I get for this huge radiator that would fit in the bottom and pump side of the MB? I've only found 2 big cases that would do that but they look ugly.

ranker
06-26-2007, 09:28 PM
What cases should I get for this huge radiator that would fit in the bottom and pump side of the MB? I've only found 2 big cases that would do that but they look ugly.

Mountain Mods UFO
Silverstone TJ-07
Lian Li V2k series
Lian Li Cube

septim
06-27-2007, 08:49 PM
DIY case?