PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply Problem

parth
06-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to PSUs:

When I look at the Voltage readings in speedfan, I see that my +12V, +5V, and +3V are at acceptable levels. However, the reading for -12V is -6.85V and the reading for -5V is -3.89V. If the + voltages were lower than they should be by that much I know that there would be a serious problem, but is this a problem too? If so, is there anything I can do to correct it?
Thanks.

KILLorBE
06-20-2007, 02:42 AM
The only dumb questions are the ones not being asked.

I wouldn't worry about that, the negative lines are hardly ever used these days, and since there's no load on them they can fluctuate quite a bit (Voltages should always be measured under load).

-12V is on the serial port (If your MOBO has any), but only ancient hardware will use it.
-5V is on pin B5 of an ISA slot.

Some PSU's (Like: Enermax Noisetaker 420, Corsair HX520...etc.) don't have a -5V line as it is no longer being used (Except by the OCZ DDR Booster).

parth
06-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was worried I might have to get a multimeter to check, but good thing I don't have to worry about it.

ColonelCain
06-20-2007, 11:18 AM
The only dumb questions are the ones not being asked.

Well said.:up:

And the answer is exactly what he said.:)

jonnyGURU
06-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I'd be willing to bet that the reading is a false reading.

Like KillOrBe said, the -12V is so rarely used that it's likely the software is looking for a reading that the Winbond (or equiv) chip isn't even bothering to monitor, thus causing a false reading.

PS: Can we move this thread to the PSU sub-forum?