PDA

View Full Version : Video editing...

LBJGH
07-01-2002, 04:59 PM
I am considering upgrading my old Asus A7V to an Abit KX7-333 and was wondering if the improved memory bandwidth would help with video encoding. FSB would increase from 105 about 200mhz fsb with the same 1GHz Athlon.

Smizack
07-01-2002, 08:47 PM
I've never done any hard core video editing, just a few small things, but I'd have to say yes it will improve the speed of encoding. But it kind of all depends on the size of the video and (to a lesser extent) how much ram you actually have.

Bosw8er
07-01-2002, 09:59 PM
Yep, encoding/rendering will go faster on faster mobo/proc/mem. But what really speeds things up are fast disks and/or raid.
Video - editing = moving around very big files.

stoopid
07-02-2002, 05:20 AM
Yes, for the raw number crunching yes, but as the prior post explained, if you're doing stuff on the fly, nothing beats large harddrives in a Raid striping configuration ;)

2xD
07-02-2002, 05:29 AM
Indeed, I do some DVD ripping and stuff myself, and when I switched from a single IDE drive to a raid0 config, rendering times dramatically decreased. FSB makes a rather big difference too.

Got 2 Cheetah's laying around, just need a raid0 capable SCSI controller that is also affordable, then the rendering will truly fly :)

LBJGH
07-02-2002, 02:16 PM
hmmm, with the new mobo, I'd get better speed and the raid option... best of both worlds.

I want a mobo for the next two years so I torn between the old AMD standby (with my current CPU with plans to upgrade to a Barton later) and switching to a P4 1.6a (... watching out for lightening here).

I know the Clawhammer is comming out soon but the lack of the 64bit OS and apps will slow it's popularity... so back to a P4 setup or Athlon... hmm