PDA

View Full Version : Loop Estimator

ProjectMercy
06-19-2007, 08:29 AM
It seems in the short year or so that I've been reading this forum, that the end result of this forum is excess. I recognize that the point is extreme systems, but there's definetly a line between "extreme" and "excess". We should be able to know, roughly, what the base heat output of the standard CPUs, GPUs, and chipsets. We should have a rough estimate of overclocking increases the output by y%. We should have a rather base idea as to the restriction of tubing at various sizes and lengths with applicable fittings, and of the devices we would place in our loop (And if not, I think it would be fair to ask the manufacturers to provide this info, even if it's subject to some argument, such as the alum/copper debate). We know, roughly, what the flowrate and head on our pumps are (now, thanks to quality companies and shops who provide this for us). We should be able to personally figure out ambient temperature in our area, and estimate our target load temperature for our devices. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the rad manufacturers to provide example disipation charts with a combination of airflow rates with their rads if they plan on selling them.

Given this, should it be astoundingly difficult to estimate, even basely, what a loop's performance would be? And if so, would it be difficult to provide a tool that allowed a person to swap out components to see what was actually necessary to run something?

Right now it just seems a lot like bench racing, and who's bolt on exhaust supposidly garners 15 HP.

Components aren't running that much hotter than they used too. I can't see how, systems that used to be suggested as totally fine with a D5 and PA120.3 suddenly require 4 pumps and 3 rads in multiple loops.

At a minimum, maybe a thread that says "I have the following components, clocked as such, and here are my idle/load temps".

We have a nice thread which suggests what the top of the line products are, and I believe all the new people just buy all this and crank it up. I don't see this as being astoundingly bad (as it's nice to have quality products), but sometimes it seems unnecessary, especially when it leads people to think that if they used to run a storm & PA120.3 for a cpu, they need another rad/pump for their GPU.

Maybe this is impossible, I'm sure people would gripe about it generating somewhat base numbers, and I'm sure it's likely to be unpopular as the end result would be people not buying as much (which would not thrill the retailers or manufacturers); but it would seem to answer a good percentage of the past and future posts in this forum as well as move watercooling forward to being something a bit more sane. If we provided a tool that suggested what the actual needs and ability of the PC-focused water cooling was about, maybe we wouldn't end up with articles and tests like the Koolance radiator.

IanY
06-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Shouldn't every individual be able to decide what is appropriate for one's needs? That's the trouble with forums... there is way too much hand holding and way too little independent thinking. The masses flock to whatever their leaders recommend and graze over to whatever pasture is purported to be greener.

Different people have different needs, and what is deemed necessary would vary according to individual aspirations. However, for crying out loud, let's not bring out the equipment police for those of us who seem to lean towards the "excess" end of the spectrum.

ProjectMercy
06-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Shouldn't every individual be able to decide what is appropriate for one's needs? That's the trouble with forums... there is way too much hand holding and way too little independent thinking. The masses flock to whatever their leaders recommend and graze over to whatever pasture is purported to be greener.

Did you even read my post? Isn't that what this suggestion is for, Empowering the user with the tools to make their own choice?

How exactly is an individual able to decide what's appropriate for their needs? I would be interested in you explaining, in full, your opinion and reasoning on what's involved in that.

IanY
06-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Exactly what tools are needed? The choices are obvious. Everyone needs only one radiator. Having more than one radiator is largely unnecessary, but there are a few unique exceptions. There's the Thermochill, which costs a lot. There's Black Ice GTX, which costs a bit less, and then there's Swiftech/Coolingworks, BI GT which cost significantly less. The choices could not be more cut and dry.

You are postulating that the average consumer wouldn't be able to tell whether it would be appropriate to have multiple dedicate loops? Its basic common sense.

MotF Bane
06-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Some of the people new to water cooling (myself included) don't have a clue what to get without help from the experienced people. Plus, overbuilding the loop makes it more likely to survive for several rigs, rather than just the one current rig. Therefore, the less independent thought can be useful for the new people, rather than make a large investment and have it not last.

Pete
06-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Some of the people new to water cooling (myself included) don't have a clue what to get without help from the experienced people.

Thats why the users and smart arse of that sunbject make a sticky in them forum section so new people too it can get the info they need.

Halk
06-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I really think the information is there, and I'm not so sure people are recommending big excesses.

I don't remember people being told they need separate loops.

The equipment recommendations are pretty sound - people who don't have a great deal of experience want to be recommended the tried, tested and reliable stuff (generally speaking) and that's what's suggested to them.

I also think the quality of advice here is top notch.