PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to ask this here, but I need some serious help removing an HS off a 2400+!!!

AnAtOmEE
06-21-2003, 11:04 AM
Ok, I just bought a SLK 800a for my current pc(sig), so I figured I would make sure I could get off the heatsink when it comes in the mail.

So I got out my other pc, a 2400+ XP, and worked away. People told me to put a screwdriver on the "latch" which I think is called an Arm Release Lever, I could be wrong, well push the screwdriver down on that latch, and push away from the heatsink. Ok, Im doin that a few minutes ago, and I can not for the love of god get this damn thing off. Ya know how theres like, 3 little prongs comin off the latch, so you can put your screwdriver in it? Well I ended up breaking off the middle prong from pushing so hard. Now I cant even get my screwdriver to set in the lever to push it.

Maybe its the fact that this is a compaq, I dont know. My pc in my sig, is built. But I dont wanna do the same thing when my new hs comes and end up breaking the heatsink on my 3000+ and not being able to get it off.

Thanx for any help. This is seriously pissing me off.

DoGMaN
06-21-2003, 11:36 AM
You aren't like pulling on the plastic lugs on the socket are you?

There is a metal retension clip that holds it on the socket lugs. Only a little pressure is needed to remove a stock HSF. Push down, towards the board, then away from the HSF and it should unlatch.

AnAtOmEE
06-21-2003, 11:43 AM
ok, so the retension clip your talking about. It goes right thru the middle of the hs right? Ok, on one side, which is pointing toward the PSU theres 3 prongs coming off of it. On the other side you can see the clip on the lugs. I pushed on the side which is facing the psu. I dont know this is pissin me off.

AnAtOmEE
06-21-2003, 12:13 PM
welp, off to break something else again. Going to try it on my 3000+... =\

AnAtOmEE
06-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by DoGMaN

There is a metal retension clip that holds it on the socket lugs. Only a little pressure is needed to remove a stock HSF. Push down, towards the board, then away from the HSF and it should unlatch.

Ok, I tried it on my 3000+. When I push down an away from the hsf, the screwdriver slides and hits the mobo. This sux balls. I hate this. I wasted 40 freakin dollars.

How come nobody else has replied? 31 people have looked, and Im bettin 75% of them, have removed a hs. Seriously, this is driving me crazy. Im gonna prolly have to pay someone to remove a frickin heatsink and apply a new one. dammit.

KennethChong
06-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by DoGMaN

Because what he said is what your are sapost to do. Dont understand why it isnt working.

AnAtOmEE
06-21-2003, 12:52 PM
but i mean, if I push on the retension clip, theres nothing to hold the screwdriver from slipping, so all I can do is push down. there is this one tiny little prong thing comin off the clip where its attached to the lug closest to the psu. I can get the screwdriver to push on that and and push away from the hs, but if I push to hard the screwdriver just slips again.

Am I even pushin on the correct thing? The retention clip is the metal thing going thru the middle of the hs right?

KennethChong
06-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Try pushing on it with your thumb then catching the end of the clip, where it is attached to your prongs on the mobo, and then pulling out. Thats what i do.

AnAtOmEE
06-21-2003, 01:08 PM
what do you mean by catching the end of the clip?

felix88
06-21-2003, 01:17 PM
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348^6678,00.html

there is a how to video on the AMD site.

AnAtOmEE
06-21-2003, 01:25 PM
sweet thanx man.

felix88
06-21-2003, 01:28 PM
if that doesn't help, sometimes you just have to push down on the HSF clip with your thumb while you use a screwdriver to pry the clip away from the plastic lug. i usualy get the screwdriver between the clip and the HSF, but not down by the plastic lugs on the ZIF socket.

make sure you are VERY careful. one wrong slip and you can kiss your motherboard goodbye.

AnAtOmEE
06-21-2003, 01:45 PM
sweet i finally got it. thanx people. Turns out I was using a much too large screwdriver.

spaceman
06-21-2003, 04:56 PM
A lot of times there just isn't room inside the case to remove a HS, especially if you start playing with dually mobos. Unless you're rich, and can easily replace things, just take the time to pull the mobo out, and you'll have room to work on things. Even then, it's a good idea to put a folded towel or something under the lug area, cause one good slip of the screwdriver, and that mobo's ready for the trash can. :(