PDA

View Full Version : planning on water cooling kit please help

mkalbaker
06-18-2007, 10:54 AM
i am planning on a water cooling kit for my system and i am going to order from petra so please help:
e6600
asus p5n32 e sli
2 gb crucial tracer pc2 6400
8800 ultra

i need to buy a kit for the whole pc i was thinking on buying two pumps two radiators each is dual and cpu block and gpu block.
so i found a new pump on petras website that is made by petra.
and i am confused between the EK, stealth, dangerden, D-TEC and mcw gpu water blocks so what to buy here please help.

ranker
06-18-2007, 11:42 AM
i am planning on a water cooling kit for my system and i am going to order from petra so please help:
e6600
asus p5n32 e sli
2 gb crucial tracer pc2 6400
8800 ultra

i need to buy a kit for the whole pc i was thinking on buying two pumps two radiators each is dual and cpu block and gpu block.
so i found a new pump on petras website that is made by petra.
and i am confused between the EK, stealth, dangerden, D-TEC and mcw gpu water blocks so what to buy here please help.

If you're wishing to run two loops and have no monetary constraints, then I'd suggest the following:

CPU Loop:
1) Thermochill PA120.2 radiator (with 2 120mm Yate Loon fans)
2) DDC pump w/ Petra's modded top
3) D-Tek Fuzion CPU waterblock
4) Swiftech mcres-micro reservoir

GPU Loop:
1) Thermochill PA120.3 radiator (if you don't plan on going SLI or adding more blocks in the future, then a PA120.2 will be plenty)
2) DDC pump w/ Petra's modded top
3) EK 8800GTX Full Cover block
4) Swiftech mcres-micro reservoir

The Swiftech MCW60 is the best performer all around if you're aiming at keeping your GPU as cool as possible. However, it is a GPU block only so you'll either have to purchase RAM sinks or a D-Tek Unisink to cool the vregs and ram chips. This might add a level of complexity if you're relatively new to watercooling. It also has the benefit of being reused in future builds as swiftech has been releasing cheap mounting kits with each generation of video card release. It's the most future proof GPU block.

The EK full cover block is my favorite out of the full cover blocks. It's relatively easy to install, cools all the components, including the vregs/ram, and is perfect for those with two loops as the vreg/ram heat dump won't push your water temps up. It's also the sexiest FC block in my opinion. However, it is expensive and won't be reusable for future generations.

I'd suggest you stay away from the DD block as my experiences with it were poor. From the craftsmanship to the temps... it let me and many others on here down.

The newest horse in the FC market is the Swiftech Stealth. It's a pseudo FC block that requires the mounting of vreg sinks. I don't believe any users on XS has posted any direct comparisons but results can be found on Swiftech's forum itself.

RX7boricua
06-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Honestly, if I were you, I'd read every single Watercooling sticky on XS.org before jumping in and buying everything. In my opinion, if you're still confused between the EK, stealth, DD, Dtek, and MCW blocks, you're not ready to buy one just yet. Do the research for yourself, and you decide which block works best for your application. Don't ask some stranger on the net what he would buy, and then base your several hundred dollar purchase solely on that. Read the stickies, and you make the decision yourself. You'll be much more satisfied in the end, trust me. Good luck!

mkalbaker
06-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Honestly, if I were you, I'd read every single Watercooling sticky on XS.org before jumping in and buying everything. In my opinion, if you're still confused between the EK, stealth, DD, Dtek, and MCW blocks, you're not ready to buy one just yet. Do the research for yourself, and you decide which block works best for your application. Don't ask some stranger on the net what he would buy, and then base your several hundred dollar purchase solely on that. Read the stickies, and you make the decision yourself. You'll be much more satisfied in the end, trust me. Good luck!

yes i did read many water cooling guides but some questions arise on wether i should make it a single loop or seperate loop for gpu or cpu. by the way the thermochill radiators are very expensive. whats the performance between it and swiftech ones?

ranker
06-18-2007, 12:21 PM
yes i did read many water cooling guides but some questions arise on wether i should make it a single loop or seperate loop for gpu or cpu. by the way the thermochill radiators are very expensive. whats the performance between it and swiftech ones?

If money is a concern, I'd suggest either 1) combining everything in one loop and going with a Thermochill PA120.3

or if you still want two loops 2) swapping out the thermochill PA120.2's for Swiftech MCR220's instead.

What's your budget?

mkalbaker
06-18-2007, 12:38 PM
budget is $700. sorry for the delay i was checking many websites to get some reviews on the stealth and you said it, no one did review it but there is a thread on xs where there is a graph that explains how the stealth is very restrictive check it out:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147636&highlight=swiftech+stealth

mkalbaker
06-18-2007, 12:43 PM
i really want to know what is the restriction on the EK. by the way whats your GPU block?
i think from that graph the less restrictive block is the mcw. i am going to volt mod the 8800 ultra i hope that the EK will provide good cooling.

ranker
06-18-2007, 01:24 PM
i really want to know what is the restriction on the EK. by the way whats your GPU block?
i think from that graph the less restrictive block is the mcw. i am going to volt mod the 8800 ultra i hope that the EK will provide good cooling.

I own a few blocks: EK8800GTX FC, Swiftech MCW60's, D-Tek Fuzion GPU, and I once owned the DD FC blocks.

My favorites are the Swiftech MCW60 and the EK 8800GTX FC blocks depending on my needs at the time.

Restriction really won't matter that much when it comes to GPU blocks if you're running it on its separate loop as most cards are volt limited rather than temp limited. The restriction/higher temps will only be affecting your GPU since you are planning to run 2 separate loops. Now if you did it all in one loop, I'd recommend the MCW60's over any FC block as the heat dump from the ram/vregs and the added restriction will affect your CPU temps possibly taking away from your CPU's OC headroom.