PDA

View Full Version : Questions, questions, and... yes! more questions

MrToad
06-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Ok, after giving it quite a lot of thought, I think my modded TT armor is going to require too many modifications to host what I've got in mind, so... here's a few questions:

- Does the PA120.3 fit in the front of a Lian-Li PC-343B?
- Does the Iwaki RD-30 start @19V with 9.5A?
- Is the RD-30 a 24/7 "onry" pump or you can actually switch if off?
- Alternatively, seeing that the old-fashioned DDCs are as difficult to find as rocking horse crap, two D5's in series would do the trick?
- Any news about the new revision of the EK-Multires bottom? I'm fed up of the whole maelstrom thing, and not very keen on doing some DIY job on the current version.

That's about it... for now ^^

Sparky
06-17-2007, 11:23 AM
What is your loop going to consist of? No idea if the D5 will be enough unless we know what sort of loop it has to handle ;) Two D5's though should handle most loops fine though, heck even a single one can do many of them usually.

I'm wondering about the new EK res bottom piece, but mine is all put together and bled out so I don't want to mess with it. Well, there is this one medium-sized bubble in there that bounces and swirls around the res that occasionally gets sucked into the pump and through the loop with a burp but I actually kinda like it lol :p:

ranker
06-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Ok, after giving it quite a lot of thought, I think my modded TT armor is going to require too many modifications to host what I've got in mind, so... here's a few questions:

- Does the PA120.3 fit in the front of a Lian-Li PC-343B?

Yes but you will have to mod the brackets a bit. I believe it involves popping a few screws/rivets. Mekrel demonstrated it in a few pics so you might wanna do a search on his posts.

- Is the RD-30 a 24/7 "onry" pump or you can actually switch if off?

You can wire it either way. I originally had mine as a 24/7 pump and turned it off with a remote. However, to simplify things I purchased a relay kit (petras or PPCS for about 20-25$) that will start it as soon as your comp is started. I wired it but never ended up making the changes go live as I'm moving my RD-30 to a test bench build I'm planning next.

- Alternatively, seeing that the old-fashioned DDCs are as difficult to find as rocking horse crap, two D5's in series would do the trick?

Two D5's aren't as good as two DDC's but I'm sure that's more than overkill with redundancy for most loops out there unless you're trying to push a golfball through a gardenhose.

- Any news about the new revision of the EK-Multires bottom? I'm fed up of the whole maelstrom thing, and not very keen on doing some DIY job on the current version.

No orders have been placed by Petras, PPCS, Jab-tech as far as I know from speaking with Quoc, Hank, etc. I'm not sure if it's a "live" product yet or still in testing.

MrToad
06-17-2007, 11:48 AM
What is your loop going to consist of?

Nothing out of this world. However, I want to use the Apogee GTX and the Stealth, and both are pretty restrictive. I'm not sure a single D5 will manage.

[
]I'm wondering about the new EK res bottom piece, but mine is all put together and bled out so I don't want to mess with it. Well, there is this one medium-sized bubble in there that bounces and swirls around the res that occasionally gets sucked into the pump and through the loop with a burp but I actually kinda like it lol :p:

Well, perhaps is because my D5 is upside down (outlet pointing downwards) which makes it prone to form a bubble on the top of the chamber, but my loop never bleeds... When I start the pump there's a whole lot of bubbles that make it to the res and immediately get sucked back by the "maelstrom"...

I've tried everything known to man (or posted in this forum)... run for hours on end with the pump in the lowest setting, pass the cable zip down the tubes, shake the case, kill a chicken and mix the blood with rum and sweets... it doesn't matter, it just doesn't want to...

MrToad
06-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Yes but you will have to mod the brackets a bit. I believe it involves popping a few screws/rivets. Mekrel demonstrated it in a few pics so you might wanna do a search on his posts.

You can wire it either way. I originally had mine as a 24/7 pump and turned it off with a remote. However, to simplify things I purchased a relay kit (petras or PPCS for about 20-25$) that will start it as soon as your comp is started. I wired it but never ended up making the changes go live as I'm moving my RD-30 to a test bench build I'm planning next.

Two D5's aren't as good as two DDC's but I'm sure that's more than overkill with redundancy for most loops out there unless you're trying to push a golfball through a gardenhose.

No orders have been placed by Petras, PPCS, Jab-tech as far as I know from speaking with Quoc, Hank, etc. I'm not sure if it's a "live" product yet or still in testing.

Thanks for the answers.

I will search for Mekrel's posts and see if I can find the one in question ^^
(By the way, I can now say "phew..." because I've already bought the case two hours ago...).

And IDK WTF to do with the pumps. Is all swings and roundabouts...

The ideal solution (for me) would be getting 2xDDC with petra's... but that's not going to happen at least in a month... with a big caveat.

The RD-30 is a grotesque overkill for my loop and I have to order it in the US (from petra's). The cheapest quote I've got for it in the UK is 230 quid (that's about $460) and three weeks lead time.

Which leaves 2xD5 as the quickest and most affordable option, yet the worst performer of the three.

And then there's finding an alternative to the EK res, or devising a modification that's not a huge turd with wings and actually works...

ranker
06-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the answers.

I will search for Mekrel's posts and see if I can find the one in question ^^
(By the way, I can now say "phew..." because I've already bought the case two hours ago...).

And IDK WTF to do with the pumps. Is all swings and roundabouts...

The ideal solution (for me) would be getting 2xDDC with petra's... but that's not going to happen at least in a month... with a big caveat.

The RD-30 is a grotesque overkill for my loop and I have to order it in the US (from petra's). The cheapest quote I've got for it in the UK is 230 quid (that's about $460) and three weeks lead time.

Which leaves 2xD5 as the quickest and most affordable option, yet the worst performer of the three.

And then there's finding an alternative to the EK res, or devising a modification that's not a huge turd with wings and actually works...

Get the Swiftech reservoirs instead.

Why not just get two DDC's from your closest supplier? 1 should be good enough, two will give you the redundancy and some extra oomph if you need it. As much as a performance hit the new 3.2 DDC took, it still looks like the best all around pump.

The RD-30 is a monster for sure but if you got the space, all I can say is why not? Those things just don't die and its the best performing single pump. Only reason to not get it might be the cost.

MrToad
06-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Get the Swiftech reservoirs instead.

BTDTGTT :rolleyes:

There's one of those in my "things that didn't make it in the loop this time" box, which costed me blood, sweat and tears to fit with a regular barb in that awkward Pg7 thread by the way...

Gabe, WTH were you thinking on when you designed it? Tsk, tsk...

Why not just get two DDC's from your closest supplier?

Because better is good's enemy? :D

The RD-30 is a monster for sure but if you got the space, all I can say is why not? Those things just don't die and its the best performing single pump. Only reason to not get it might be the cost.

Cost is not really an issue unless 9.5A @ 19V is not enough to start that... that... thing!. 2 x DDCs w/Petra's are going to cost me the same, if not more ^^;

However, if the PSU I've got is not enough and I have to fork out for one of those Meanwell's, then it becomes an issue :D

ranker
06-17-2007, 02:25 PM
BTDTGTT :rolleyes:

There's one of those in my "things that didn't make it in the loop this time" box, which costed me blood, sweat and tears to fit with a regular barb in that awkward Pg7 thread by the way...

Gabe, WTH were you thinking on when you designed it? Tsk, tsk...

Because better is good's enemy? :D

Cost is not really an issue unless 9.5A @ 19V is not enough to start that... that... thing!. 2 x DDCs w/Petra's are going to cost me the same, if not more ^^;

However, if the PSU I've got is not enough and I have to fork out for one of those Meanwell's, then it becomes an issue :D

I don't know of anyone off the top of my head that runs an RD-30 directly connected to their PSU. There are a few converters out there but I haven't heard any news from those on the forum who stated that they were going to look into the matter (*nudge nudge* Alex). I do believe you'll most likely have to go with a Meanwell.

MrToad
06-17-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't know of anyone off the top of my head that runs an RD-30 directly connected to their PSU. There are a few converters out there but I haven't heard any news from those on the forum who stated that they were going to look into the matter (*nudge nudge* Alex). I do believe you'll most likely have to go with a Meanwell.

Hmmm... I explain myself badly, sorry.

I have a separate PSU (from a particularly power hungry laptop that's now RIP) which can provide 9.5A @ 19V.

I would not run a RD-30 from my PC's PSU with a 12>18V converter, unless I had a Galaxy, which is not the case I'm afraid.

Ad1tya
06-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Use the Direct AC Power maybe? Lol..

Also, 2 x D5's isnt a bad option, theyre much mor reliable than the DDC's, and they dont perform badly.
You may loose 1C because of a D5 over a DDC, is it worth the headache?

I think DDC's are highly overrated, but anyways, I dont want to get flamed, so lets just stick to the topic.

2xD5's are more than enough. RD-30 = Overkill Overkill Overkill Overkill.
Its not worth 230$ even, you dont need all that power.

A GTX and a Stealth can easily be handled with a Single D5. 2 D5's is better though.

ranker
06-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Hmmm... I explain myself badly, sorry.

I have a separate PSU (from a particularly power hungry laptop that's now RIP) which can provide 9.5A @ 19V.

I would not run a RD-30 from my PC's PSU with a 12>18V converter, unless I had a Galaxy, which is not the case I'm afraid.

I do believe 9.5A @19V should be enough. The RD-30 draws about 3.0-3.5A on use. It does spike up to about 10A on startup if I remember correctly from talking to Alex before purchasing mine. However, it's very VERY brief and no where near as long as the DDC-2 startup spike.

MrToad
06-17-2007, 03:49 PM
I do believe 9.5A @19V should be enough. The RD-30 draws about 3.0-3.5A on use. It does spike up to about 10A on startup if I remember correctly from talking to Alex before purchasing mine. However, it's very VERY brief and no where near as long as the DDC-2 startup spike.

I do remember (from the various threads) that the RD-30 needs 10A @ 24V to start.

However, what I don't know is if reducing the voltage (in this case to 19V) affects that figure and how.

My physics are so rusty that yesterday I had to have a rummage in the loft for my old notes to refresh my memory about the concept "moment" ^^;

I'm sure the obscene amount of drug intake during my service for king and country fried my brain.

serialk11r
06-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Eh if you're not a nub you can build a converter :)

Sparky
06-17-2007, 05:51 PM
The GTX and the stealth aren't that restrictive. A single D5 could cope without a problem. Just because the GTX isn't a flow king like the Fuzion doesn't mean it is really restrictive ;) Heck I saw someone's loop with a storm, some GPU block (Maze 4 or whatever) all off a single D5. If it was doing OK with that then I'm sure it can do the GTX and the Stealth :)

sick_g4m3r
06-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Eh if you're not a nub you can build a converter :)

Why dont you make some then?

I have no idea how, what would be the basics of such a converter? A large capacitor?