PDA

View Full Version : Time to end the Madness...lol

Battle_Rattle
06-16-2007, 04:13 AM
We're all a bit the same... we like to buy the best but we sometimes split hairs.

I sometimes split the hair too fine...

Help me end my research and help me decide on a PSU. Because as it stands, few have the same results or recommendations... JG, XS threads, HardOcP testing rarely line up (at my price/wattage point) with each other and say "buy this, its the best"

Reqs.

1) 750w+
2) Non-modular (Only because I'll be using extensions to reach the 8-pin on the motherboard...feel free to shoot down this assumption)
3) At least one native 8 pin PCI-e cable
4) No more than 250$
5) 120mm+ cooling/ Quite 80mm's
6) 82+ % efficiency at typical load would be nice
7) Longish Cables
8) Performance known at the current revision (Ex. OP750 v1 vs. v2.5)

Pardon my irrational requests, I was leaning towards the OP 850, but JG's DA 850 review just shot that out of the water and I'm now at a loss.

Perkam, JG, Oklahoma, and others, I would really like to hear your thoughts...

Best Wishes ~ BR

P.S.
And while you're at it, where else are some tech media places that get retail PSU's, and actually hook a PSU to something worth a darn, instead of just poking a DMM into some cable leads?

Nazu
06-16-2007, 04:30 AM
Silencer 750w.Doesn't have the 8pin pcie connector but otherwise it should meet your requirements.

jonnyGURU
06-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Help me end my research and help me decide on a PSU.

My disgustingly biased opinion says wait two months for the X3 800W. :D

And while you're at it, where else are some tech media places that get retail PSU's, and actually hook a PSU to something worth a darn, instead of just poking a DMM into some cable leads?

AFAIK, Only me, Paul @ [H], Lee @ PCPer and Oleg @ Xbit consistantly use load testers for testing.

Paul and I tend to usually agree. Of course, we also use the same equipment. :D Big difference there is he uses an incubator @ 45C and I use the heat produced from the load pumped back into the case. I think a 45C incubator is a bit "extreme." The way a PSU acts at 40C can potentially be COMPLETELY different than one at 45C... especially if the PSU is only rated at 40C.

Some sites might get to "borrow" a facility to do a round up every once in a while.

FWIW: I still like the PSU reviews that are done at Legit and especially Hardware Canucks because even though SKYMTL doesn't have a load tester, he does have a scope and he does comparitive graphs of each PSU he's reviewed against the last.

Nazu
06-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Also SPCR (http://www.silentpcreview.com) has a load tester for psu reviews. Imo they do very good reviews from psu's and have proper db measurements.

OpTioN
06-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah, i'd get the PC Power and Cooling too, or even the Ultra X3 1000 if you can find it for $250 (there are sometimes good deals on it)

jonnyGURU
06-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Also SPCR (http://www.silentpcreview.com) has a load tester for psu reviews. Imo they do very good reviews from psu's and have proper db measurements.

Ah.. yeah... I forget about SPCR sometimes. I usually don't use them as a reference because they focus SO MUCH on noise that it dilutes the review. They'll have two PSU's right next to each other that are only a couple dB off in the noise they put out and they'll totally pan the "louder" one, even though 99% of us can't tell the difference between the two when installed in a PC.

That and their ripple and noise readings don't seem to be right and when asked about it on the forums, they seem to avoid answering the question.

Yeah, i'd get the PC Power and Cooling too, or even the Ultra X3 1000 if you can find it for $250 (there are sometimes good deals on it)

Well, that's why I was suggesting the 800W. Because Rattle thinks 750W would be enough and AFAIK the retail on the 800W will be < $200.

Battle_Rattle
06-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the responses guys...

If one orders the PCP&C 750 through thier website, you're guaranteed to get 2x 6+2 pin Pci-e connector cables and 2x 6pin Pci-e cables.

I think I should probably go for one of these...

JG, given your knowledge of their processes... will the X3 800w have some substantialy different components?... the flexforce and the AST is pretty cool...

Btw... I take it that your reccomendation for the Ultra X3 means that there is still no significant resistance in putting an extension on the 8pin motherboard cable?

jonnyGURU
06-18-2007, 04:45 PM
The X3 800W is the same as the X3 1000W, only 200W less. :)

ChaosMinionX
06-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Im liking the looks of the X3 1kW.....Anyone I have another 700w GameXstream I need to sell....

Battle_Rattle
06-19-2007, 01:06 AM
... I have another 700w GameXstream I need to sell....

Dont be hijacking my thread sucka!

LOL :D :up:

JokerCPoC
06-19-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm looking at a Silverstone psu for one of My PCs as an upgrade, Either a DA1200 or an OP1200, I like the fan on those two psus better than on the OP1000 and of course having one +12v rail @ 90A isn't bad either(It isn't the biggest as that is at 99A), Sounds pretty future proof, For a while at least, Maybe. I just wish I knew when I could buy one. :D

[Spectre]
06-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Paul and I tend to usually agree. Of course, we also use the same equipment. :D Big difference there is he uses an incubator @ 45C and I use the heat produced from the load pumped back into the case. I think a 45C incubator is a bit "extreme." The way a PSU acts at 40C can potentially be COMPLETELY different than one at 45C... especially if the PSU is only rated at 40C.

I just like to break stuff :D

Battle_Rattle
06-30-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm trusting JG.... and going with the Quattro 850... TJ-07 case wont really show the Yellow stripes

Never thought I would find an Antec/Enhance in my build but the numbers speak for themselves!

Thanks guys! :up:

and btw... getting it for 170$ .... 250$ at Newegg? WTF?