PDA

View Full Version : when a pump fails.....

sick_g4m3r
06-14-2007, 02:56 PM
If a pump fails @ 2 o'clock in the morning and you are running orthos and you have an E6600@3.6 w/1.5v, emitting 200W of heat this is what happens:

200 j/s = 200W
specific heat of water is 4.184j to raise 1g of water 1C
say we have 500ml of water in the loop, or 500g
so 2000j to raise your water 1C
that would take 10 seconds, and say it starts at 30C, it would only take 8.3 minutes to reach 80C, and essentially die.

are these calculations correct? 8 minutes to death after a pump fails in this situation?

Pete
06-14-2007, 03:02 PM
I'll not answer the question directly but proving you don't fanny fart and ass about with some if not all the mobo setting ie the thermal cutoff/shutdown temp soon as it hits 75c it'll power down!

I had a P4e all the way to 103c once, it worked there after it did 4.2Ghz 24/7 where was before it'd do a max of 4 before!

Oh and you got fans on the rad, the amibant temp being cooler at night and the rate of which the air flow goes over the rad and what it disapates all to take in to fast. Bit anal really, just use the bios feature like it was ment for!!

sick_g4m3r
06-14-2007, 03:10 PM
holy smokes dude, i was just roughly speculating

Sparky
06-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Pete, that is assuming your mobo BIOS has the shutdown temp in it. Mine doesn't seem to which seems odd as my crappy old mobo I had a few years ago did :shrug:

serialk11r
06-14-2007, 03:18 PM
No, because the water is not moving the water around the block gets hot much faster than that.

eXceeded
06-14-2007, 04:06 PM
afaik all motherboards have a shutdown temperaure built in which kicks in before the cpu kills itself. I imagine if my pump failed then the computer would simply power off and I'd have to buy a new pump...

RickCain
06-14-2007, 04:20 PM
afaik all motherboards have a shutdown temperaure built in which kicks in before the cpu kills itself. I imagine if my pump failed then the computer would simply power off and I'd have to buy a new pump...

Exactly. It is amazing how hot the block gets (and FAST) when the block doesn't have water moving through it. Last time I "forgot" to plug in the pump, it was only about 2 minutes before the motherboard shut the system down.

NaeKuh
06-14-2007, 05:09 PM

They do.

And yes ive tested it on a crappy E6300.

The comp will just SHUT OFF once the cpu gets a certain temp.

How do i know? because i was messing around with my cousins loop, and the pump died. I didnt know, and it was a DDC-2. But i would turn the system on, it would boot, go into bios, and poof shut it self off. I thought it was the board or cpu. So i turned it on again, and it shut right back off. Repeated it about 6 times before i realized fan header 1 was at 0RPM.

DOE! Replaced the pump, and it was good to go.

Jimmer411
06-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Ive had my cats trip the switch on my powerstrip that my pump (AC) is on and came home from work and my computer was fine, didnt check temps but Ive never hit my 60C shutdown because of it, yet. But then again I have no way of telling how long it off.

ranker
06-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Exactly. It is amazing how hot the block gets (and FAST) when the block doesn't have water moving through it. But because I bought an Aqua Computer Aquaduct360, the sentient being inside started the pump itself by itself and proceeded to save my CPU. AC Rox!

Fixed.

RickCain
06-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Fixed.

Not here too?

That works on the Aquaduct too but wasn't the point.......

Patriote
06-14-2007, 06:37 PM

Thats what my P5W DH did when my D5 died during night when i was stressing my graphic card with ATitool's artifact stressing thing. My D5 died and when i woke up, monitor was at idle. When i got my computer back and running, i had a look into my temps log and CPU had hit around 80 and then comp shut down. And temps raised quite fast ... a few mins if i remember right... But i was stressing a X1900XTX ...

MrToad
06-14-2007, 09:59 PM
I never had a MB shut down due to overheating oddly enough, and I'm curious...

Is it a hard or soft shut down?

In other words, would a BSOD prevent the shut down process, or the MB would cut off the power regardless?

NickS
06-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Fixed.

Way to thread crap. Cut it the hell out ranker.

Xeon th MG Pony
06-15-2007, 10:39 AM
All cpus have an internalistic thermal cut out system that is totaly indepandent of the MB. IE When it reaches fail safe temp it will drasticly reduce clock rate ,then, flat out make a shut down call to the system. Then as a protection system the Bios has a high temp shut down call ability so even if the bios fails the cpu will not. This was a mistake AMD made early when first starting, but long since corrected.

IanY
06-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Try that shut down mode thing with graphics cards that cost more than cpus. I don't know about you, but my cpu's cheaper than my video cards.

sick_g4m3r
06-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Try that shut down mode thing with graphics cards that cost more than cpus. I don't know about you, but my cpu's cheaper than my video cards.

very good point

IanY
06-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Now.. try taking a G80 and cooling it with boiling water... you'll see many pretty colors on your monitor... forever lol